Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

localState folder and localCache folder

Solved!

localState folder and localCache folder

I'm using heavily spotify, I realized that under: AppData\Local\Packages\SpotifyAB.SpotifyMusic
there are two folders  localState and localCache and which sized 4GB and 6.50 GB. I downloaded 700 songs for offline usage and 600 songs from local folders. I'm curious that what in these folders? I think that one of them stores downloaded songs and other one is partially unneccessary but which one? can I delete the folder which not includes offline songs?
Thanks.

Plan

Premium

Operating System

Windows 10,etc.

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

Hey @TTKunt,

Thanks for your post! I did some digging to see what these folders contains, and it looks like the LocalState folder is where downloaded songs are saved. As a side note, you can change where your songs are downloaded anytime by going to advanced settings and choosing a new "offline storage location."

After doing a bit of research and testing, it seems the data in the LocalCache folder is not connected to your downloaded songs, so you should be able to remove it as long as you have Spotify closed, effectively clearing your cache without clearing your downloads as well. Spotify should then rebuild the folder when you open the app again. That said, if you remove the whole folder, it also seems to reset some preferences, so a better alternative would be to go further into that folder (LocalCache\Spotify\Data), and then just delete all the folders inside of the data folder.

While I don't expect this to cause any issues with your app, just in case you do have problems, you can always do a clean reinstall by following the steps on this page.

I hope that helps you clear some of that extra space. Keep in mind, that because this is the cache folder, it will begin to build up again over time through normal usage of Spotify.

dinomightSpotify Star
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.

View solution in original post

1 Reply
Marked as solution

Hey @TTKunt,

Thanks for your post! I did some digging to see what these folders contains, and it looks like the LocalState folder is where downloaded songs are saved. As a side note, you can change where your songs are downloaded anytime by going to advanced settings and choosing a new "offline storage location."

After doing a bit of research and testing, it seems the data in the LocalCache folder is not connected to your downloaded songs, so you should be able to remove it as long as you have Spotify closed, effectively clearing your cache without clearing your downloads as well. Spotify should then rebuild the folder when you open the app again. That said, if you remove the whole folder, it also seems to reset some preferences, so a better alternative would be to go further into that folder (LocalCache\Spotify\Data), and then just delete all the folders inside of the data folder.

While I don't expect this to cause any issues with your app, just in case you do have problems, you can always do a clean reinstall by following the steps on this page.

I hope that helps you clear some of that extra space. Keep in mind, that because this is the cache folder, it will begin to build up again over time through normal usage of Spotify.

dinomightSpotify Star
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.

Suggested posts