Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

"Spotify can't play this right now. If you have the file on your computer you can import it."

Solved!

"Spotify can't play this right now. If you have the file on your computer you can import it."

Plan

Premium

Country

Slovakia

Device

Computer

Operating System

Windows 10

My Question or Issue

I search for everything ..... but it doesnt work .... 

I just now rebuild my pc with new mother board cpu an rams 

And after i started pc i wanted to listen to spotify but it say this all time : "Spotify can't play this right now. If you have the file on your computer you can import it."

On my phone its working . I tried every solutions what i found on internet rebooted pc reinstall spotify and other stuffs

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

Fixed! (for me at least).

I reset my default device sound setting back to below 192000 Hz (Control Panel Sounds, Advanced tab) and Spotify sprang back into life! Above 192K Spotify Desktop will not play.

Looks like several things affect Spotify playback, so you may have to search through the forums if you are getting this error.

The App was playing to other devices for me, so that pointed to something specific on my PC (although Roon, Amazon and Web Player all worked).

View solution in original post

Marked as solution

This worked for meFix.jpg

View solution in original post

73 Replies

Hi! Are you trying to play songs located in the Local Files of your device? If so, the connection may have been interrupted between the files on your laptop and the Spotify player.

Try following these steps 

1. Click then choose Settings
  2. Scroll down to Local Files and switch Show Local Files on. 
  3. Any files in your computer's My Music and Downloads folders are automatically selected. Switch off any sources you don't want Spotify to access. 
  4. Click ADD A SOURCE to select another folder. 
  5. You’ll now find music from that folder in Local Files in the menu on the left.

If the local files aren't downloaded to your laptop, that is likely the reason why you can only access them from your mobile device. Hopefully this helps!!

Did this work for you? If so please mark it as the solution. This helps other users find the solutions to their problems in the future!

Already fixed it by downloading it by windows store thank you

That didn't work.

I have the same error but this(solution from eltoch) didn't work for me. my spotify keeps skipping every song. no matter if I ever downloaded the song or not

I tried editing the host file, clearing the cache in APPDATA/romaing/spotify, playing with the app on android worked not on windows 10, tried to use the "play from this device" to switch, nothing worked.

I resorted to uninstalling spotify and reinstall it, worked like a charm!!

I switched from desktop to appstore version. But still does not work for me.

v1.1.21.

I also tried uninstall/reinstall - did not work

Switched to another Spotify account - did not work

Switched from desktop version to Windows App store version - did not work

(Spotify) Version I have is 1.1.21, Windows 10 1909.

Web player works. Roon works on same device. Amazon Music works on same device.

Spotify app can switch to playing via my HiFi or my Kef speakers, but not through the PC?

Always same error "Spotify cannot play this right now....." see screenshot, with device list showing.

Spotify play error 1.1.21 and Windows 10 1909.jpg

@eltoch. This is NOT a solution. Your solution refers to playing local files which is not the issue. This issue is that Spotify does not stream to "This computer" when trying to play any Spotify track. The error "Spotify can't play this right now...." is displayed.

Marked as solution

Fixed! (for me at least).

I reset my default device sound setting back to below 192000 Hz (Control Panel Sounds, Advanced tab) and Spotify sprang back into life! Above 192K Spotify Desktop will not play.

Looks like several things affect Spotify playback, so you may have to search through the forums if you are getting this error.

The App was playing to other devices for me, so that pointed to something specific on my PC (although Roon, Amazon and Web Player all worked).

Awesome.  You just helped another person. Big thanks.

It really was this simple to fix it. I have tried to fix this issue for many hours now and you just saved my day. Thank you so much imbacatz!

Hey there folks,

If you've found a post on the Community helpful and it has resolved your issue, you can mark it as a Solution 🙂

This way other people who come across the thread can find it easier.

Don't hesitate to reach out again if you have questions.

AlexModerator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

Can confirm this is still an issue. Why can't you use over 192KHz? Doesn't Spotify want to bring out a Hifi Service soon? They better fix this then or nobody is gonna listen

Hey there @Malte2411,

Thanks for reaching out in the Community!

Can you give us a bit more info about your situation. Where do you see the error message and on what devices?

Regarding Hi-Fi, you can check out this Idea Thread for more info. 

We'll be on the lookout for your reply.

Cheers.

AlexModerator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

Thank you so much! I dropped to 192 kHZ and Spotify came back to life! I was even able to go back up to 384 kHZ and no problems! Could not figure this out until I read your message! Thank you again! 

Right on bro, many thanks
Marked as solution

This worked for meFix.jpg

The support for paying users is inadequate.

Probably unpaid mods. Tells you a lot why Spotify are so hated and yet so profitable.

Cannot self serve a solution to this error. Only Spotify having audio issues. Going to cancel family plan instead of rely on this forum for support - not good enough

After trying everything on this forum, the issue is still not fixed on my computer

Suggested posts