"Spotify can't play this right now. If you have the file on your computer you can import it."

Solved!
Highlighted

"Spotify can't play this right now. If you have the file on your computer you can import it."

Casual Listener

Plan

Free

Country

Canada

Device

Dell laptop c. 2015

Operating System

Windows 10

My Question or Issue

Spotify gives me the error message "Spotify can't play this right now. If you have the file on your computer you can import it." when I try to play any song from a certain album (TeenWitch by BONES). It has happened at least 4 times between opening and closing the app. I have the album downloaded as well and it is imported to spotify. Is this album being censored by spotify? I am allowing explicit songs and have good connection. Everything else works. Let me know if this is the wrongsection/forum.

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Solution!

Re: "Spotify can't play this right now. If you have the file on your computer you can import it

Rock Star 7
Rock Star 7

Hmmm.... i checked to make sure that songs were available in your region and it is so im not sure whats going on.  However another thing you could try is delete local file cache. To do this go to %appdata% > roaming > Spotify > User > Your Account Name > delete Local-Files.   Also make sure that you are closed out of Spotify before doing this so then when you launch Spotify again it would already be corrected. 

Let me know how it goes!
Keanu_C

Keanu_CRock Star 7
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Solution!

Re: "Spotify can't play this right now. If you have the file on your computer you can import it

Casual Listener

I know it doesn't make a lot of sense on the face of things, but try changing your speaker output. (on your system)

101 Replies
Highlighted

Rock Star 7
Rock Star 7

Hey @suicidegrrrl Welcome to the Spotify Community!

Try disabling hardware acceleration in your settings. To find this go to Settings >  Scroll Down and Selected Advanced Settings > Then scroll down and disabled hardware acceleration. 

Let me know how it goes!

Keanu_C

Keanu_CRock Star 7
Highlighted

Casual Listener
This did not solve it. I disabled hardware accelerators, restarted: still
same message. Turned back on, restart: same message. Every other song
works; it is only this album (TeenWitch - BONES). Is it blacklisted or
something?
Highlighted
Solution!

Rock Star 7
Rock Star 7

Hmmm.... i checked to make sure that songs were available in your region and it is so im not sure whats going on.  However another thing you could try is delete local file cache. To do this go to %appdata% > roaming > Spotify > User > Your Account Name > delete Local-Files.   Also make sure that you are closed out of Spotify before doing this so then when you launch Spotify again it would already be corrected. 

Let me know how it goes!
Keanu_C

Keanu_CRock Star 7

Highlighted

Casual Listener

Thanks that seemed to do it.

Highlighted

Rock Star 7
Rock Star 7

Perfect im glad i could be of assistance! 

Happy Listening
Keanu_C

Keanu_CRock Star 7
Highlighted

Regular

Hi.. Many thanks for the solution.. however it did only work after deleting/renaming the local-files.bnk in all accounts in the Spotify Users folder !!

In my case this "thing" happened right after shutting down the TV connected to my PC via HDMI while playing !! - There should not be any connection between the two.. but who knows whats cooking 🙂

Highlighted

I have the same problem on my windows PC but can't get anything to play at all! I get this error message for everything from downloaded albums to Daily Mix selections.

The same account works fine on my ipad or phone app though. Any ideas?

Highlighted

Regular

Hi.. this is a local PC issue.. pls. start with Keanu_C's solution, scroll bit up. "

"Hmmm.... i checked to make sure that songs were available in your region and it is so im not sure whats going on.  However another thing you could try is delete local file cache. To do this go to %appdata% > roaming > Spotify > User > Your Account Name > delete Local-Files.   Also make sure that you are closed out of Spotify before doing this so then when you launch Spotify again it would already be corrected."

If it does not work.. then do what solved my thing... If you have more files in the User folder.. open all of them and delete or rename the 'Local-files.bnk'  if you need detailed description.. and the location is different depending on your Windows version.. to find it.. open File explorer.. click "This PC" in the list on the left (C/: drive) then in the right-hand upper corner is a search window.. type in it .bnk and hit enter.. you shuld get bunch of files.. locate the  one having 'local-files.bnk' get your mouse pointer over it.. right click and find, (close to bottom), "open file location" in the list that appears and you are there.. PLS. note.. if you have more thant one location for Spotify 'local-files.bnk' you have to delete or rename all of them.. Important shut down Spotify before you do this...  renaming can be like this.. local-file_bnk.xxx Rest should be clear. Hopfully this solves your issjú 😉

Highlighted

Where do you find this info on a mac? I cannot seem to find it and I am having this same issue.

SUGGESTED POSTS