Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

"Why can't I play this song?" / "Where can I play this song?"

"Why can't I play this song?" / "Where can I play this song?"

The snippet below comes from the help site: (https://support.spotify.com/us/using_spotify/troubleshooting/why-do-tracks-disappear/)

Something I saved is greyed out and won't play
This means the content is no longer available. This can happen if licencing agreements with the artist/labels, or ownership of rights, has changed. Hopefully it will reappear soon.

Unfortunately, I've been waiting for several songs to "reappear soon" for over a year, and it's not happening. Worse, I have not been able to locate this music on other digital music platforms such as Amazon Music. If I can't listen to this music on Spotify I would at least like to be able to purchase it elsewhere. I have no idea what the cause is: perhaps the artist was just experimenting with an idea for a little bit then took the work offline or had to retract it for copyright reasons?

In any case, as a user I would much appreciate being able to see more information about what is going on. For example, I'd like a "Why can't I play this song?" link/button visible near the song entry in the playlist that would display the reason that specific song could not be played and ideally the status, e.g. "Renogiating license for playback via Spotify", "Copyright infringment lawsuit pending", "Artist refused to license for playback via Spotify", etc.

When I can't listen to a song on Spotify, it'd be nice if I could get a link to some place where I could get it. For example, if an artist is only willing to stream / sell digital music through their own website, it'd be nice if Spotify would allow me to see a link to there.

0 Replies

Suggested posts