Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

spotify overlay not working in Windows 11

spotify overlay not working in Windows 11

Plan

Premium

Country

USA

Device

Windows desk top

Operating System

Windows 11

My Question or Issue

So I upgraded to windows 11 but the spotify music overlay does not show up. It's checked on in the settings. I tried both the App and normal version of Spotify

Only the volume shows up

43 Replies

Hey there @Alfakennyone

Thanks for reaching out here in the Community, and welcome 🙂

Would you mind letting us know if you've already tried performing a clean reinstall of the app? This is more thorough than a regular one and can be helpful to get rid of any cache that might be causing issues. 

Keep us posted on how it goes.

NovyModerator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a "Like".
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

Yes, I did an reinstall of both types of Spotify programs; the one through the microsoft store and the .exe from spotify.com. Currently using the spotify.com version

No music player overlay

Hey @Alfakennyone

Thanks for getting back to us.

If possible, could you give it a try using a different computer to see if you notice the same behavior? 

Also, let us know the exact Spotify version you're currently running.

We'll be on the lookout. 

NovyModerator

Hello,

Version - 1.1.62.583.gdac868ed-a

I can't test it on another computer because I'm the only one that is using Windows 11, while they're still using Windows 10; which doesn't have this problem

thank you

Hi @Alfakennyone

Thanks for the clarification. 

Could you ask a friend or a family member to log in to their personal account using your device to see if they can replicate this? 

Let us know how it goes.

NovyModerator

Hello,

Like I said in my previous reply, I'm the only one that's currently running Windows 11 because it's a dev/preview build and not the actual release that's coming this year.

It's definitely a bug in Spotify that prevents it from working in Windows 11

ty

Hi again @Alfakennyone,

Thank you for the reply. 

Could you send over a video or some screenshots where we can take a better look at this behavior? You can attach them using the Insert Video or Insert Photos options in the post editor, just make sure to exclude any personal info. 

We'll be right here. 

NovyModerator

Sure, but you won't see anything because nothing comes up lol (and yes, the settings in spotify is turned on to display overlay)

The volume shows up, but the music overlay doesn't like it used to in Windows 10

Untitled.png

Hey @Alfakennyone

Thanks for keeping us in the loop. 

As Windows 11 is still very new, our app isn't optimized for it and some unexpected behavior could occur. 

We'll make sure to pass this on to the right folks so that it can be looked into when we focus on optimizations for Windows 11. 

If anything else comes up, the Community will be here for you. 

Cheers!

NovyModerator

Hello
Correct, probably just need an update to fix the issue.

Thank you

wyattdev_0-1627340878565.png

I can confirm this also occurs for me on Windows 11 using Spotify 1.1.64.561.g71bd09eb-a, clean install and all.

Hi folks,

Thank you for getting back to us.

@Alfakennyone Thank you for your understanding. Remember to always keep your app updated, so you don't miss any fixes or new features.

@wyattdev As we shared in a previous post, at the moment Spotify isn't optimized for Windows 11. We can suggest you try downloading the app directly from the Microsoft Store to see if it helps. 

Cheers!

NovyModerator

I think it might be a windows 11 problem instead of a Spotify problem because it doesn't work for the other apps I use that normally have overlays...?

What other apps do you use? I only use Spotify that I know have overlays.

Plus, I don't think it would be Win 11 issue because the volume overlay works fine.

@novy and @Alfakennyone, the overlay is hidden in the action center, at first I too thought it was bugged, but it's not. It's more of a Windows 11 thing. You can access it with Win + A. I hope MS reconsiders this.

vision_peer_0-1629541513147.png

Actually the media overlay has moved to the action center. Maybe Spotify and others can push Microsoft to bring the original overlay on top of the desktop in the upper left corner back.

I found away around this and I actually used this program in Windows 10 because I preferred the look and the shorter timeout compared to the windows default 5 seconds that can't be changed any lower. Anyway the workaround to get notifications for when the song changes, is to use the free app ModernFlyouts(Preview) from the Microsoft Store.  So far it works great in Windows 11 with no issues, the app is very customizable.

Screenshot 2021-09-20 164724.png

Windows 11 has it disabled as default for the moment. Microsoft is updating its design and optimising it for the new Windows. It'll probably be pushed out in the future minor cumulative updates.

unfortunately there is not enough like button

Suggested posts