Premium

Country

Germany

Device

Laptop

Operating System

Windows 10

My Question or Issue

I downloaded an mp3 file and moves that to the folder where all my local files are stored. I then deleted the original in my downloads folder. But when I do that, spotify will claim the file cannot be played, even though windows itself can open it without any problem.

I can only play the file or add it to any playlist when I copy it to the downloads folder again.

This has never happened before and makes no sense either. I would like to keep my downloads folder as empty as possible, so any help on this is greatly appreciated

8 Replies

Hi there @Thaliel,

Thanks for reaching out about this in the Community!

Can you clarify if you're deleting the mp3 file from your computer's hard drive or from a folder in the Spotify app where you upload local files to?

Also can you send us a screenshot of the error message you're receiving when you try opening these files?

Cheers!

AlexModerator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

I am not getting any error message, the file will simply be "darkened".

I have both the downloads folder and my music folder set as source folders for local files. So as long as a file is in the downloads folder, spotify will show it, even twice. But if it is only saved in music, but deleted from downloads, spotify will no longer find it in local files and also not longer play it if it is already in a playlist

Hi there @Thaliel,

Thanks for the clarification.

If you delete the file from it's original location on your PC it won't be playable in the app. Songs will still keep their places in any playlists you've added them to, but until you bring back the original music file in it's initial location on your hard drive you won't be able to stream them through spotify.

Hope this helps.

AlexModerator

was that always the case? Since I have done the same previously without any problems.

Hey there @Thaliel,

Thank you for your reply.

Yes, this is expected behavior.

If you have any questions we're always one reply away. We're happy to help.

Cheers 🙂

JeremyModerator
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Live, love, laugh and listen to music 🙂

strange, as this has never happened before. And as I said, I want to keep my downloads folder clean. Do you have any recommendation as to how I can do this?

Hi @Thaliel,

Thanks for the reply.

You can try to change the local files source folder. So try deleting all mp3s from Downloads, and select another folder to load files from initially.

Let us know if that makes a difference.

AlexModerator

I already have my standard Music folder set as source as well as downloads, that is why I am irritated that spotify claims it cannot locate a file unless it is saved in both folders

Suggested posts