Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Cannot Create Device Password

Solved!

Cannot Create Device Password

So I'm going through the process of trying to log in to spotify on my new android phone.

I can lot in with spotify, but am permanently 'offline', and evidently need to sign in with my device password.

I go through the process of requesting a device password through my account online. I click on the link in the email sent to me, enter my password once, confirm my password, then click on "Set Device Password". Two seconds later I get told "There was a problem setting your password". 

I've tried this repeatedly, but there's no more detail as to what this "Problem" is...a little frustrating.

Anyone have a solution?

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

Hi All,

It appears that even though you are getting an error message the password is actually being set.

So set the password, get the error message (There was a problem setting your password), ignore it and then log in using the device ID and password.

Worked for me..... I'm into all my devices and Facebook has stayed deactivated! hooray.

Cheers,

Brett

View solution in original post

Marked as solution

Updated March 18, 2017

Hello everyone,

The login credentials for your device should be your Spotify username/email address and password. If you created your account directly with Facebook and your device doesn’t accept your Facebook credentials to log in, you’ll need to set a device password and log in with that.

This is possible to do within Facebook:

1. Head to Facebook Settings.
  2. Select Security.
  3. Select App Passwords
  4. Click Generate App Password
  5. Enter Spotify, and Facebook will automatically generate a password for you. You can use this with your Facebook ID (not email address) to log in to Spotify on any device. 

Alternatively, if you’re unable to log in on a particular device, you can connect to it from another device using Spotify Connect.

I hope this helps get you back to your favorite tunes! Let me know if you have any other questions 🙂

View solution in original post

76 Replies

same problem here 😞

As I too. Left in the dark. Hope they have an answer very, very soon.

I wrote to the customer support and they suggested to clear cache and try to set the new password in private session. It didn't work for me. I still have the same issue. And that's weird because I used the device password till yesterday when my SmartRadio logged out by itself.

Same issue here

Hello people!
Sorry for the inconvenience, there seems to be an issue with device passwords at the moment.
Have you tried uninstalling and re-installing the app/program?
K
-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Treat others the way you want to be treated!
I can help in english, français or ελληνικά
Follow me on Spotify | What is a Community Star? Join us!

Thank you for the response. Funnily enough i did try uninstalling and reinstalling. To me it seems to be a server side issue with spotify as it occurs on all my devices and PC.

I even tried turning my devices on and off 😛

Did this get resolved? Same issue here.. 

Hello again!

Have you tried contacting Spotify using the contact form? You just follow the right steps and then press the green button "I still need help" at the bottom of the page. If so, and haven't heard back or received a no-reply email that directs you to the community here, you can reply to it even if it says not to, so that you can speed the case up. You can always use the twitter account @SpotifyCares to contact Spotify.

If you've tried everything else, I can escalate the issue to the team.

Good day,

K

I've got the same issue.

Sane issue here, what's going on

No luck for me either. I better be getting a refund on my premium subscription

I've escalated the issue, someone from the team should check on it soon!
K

I hope so. It seems like a big issue.

Same issue here. I log in using a Facebook account, not sure if makes a difference. I'm trying to set my Sonos up

Same issue here. The generic "There was a problem setting your password" error message does not help...

I'm having the same issue too. And Kate, I even tried to reset the password on my iPad and on a desktop by just going to the website, and each time I get the message. So like someone else stated, this is not an app issue but their server. If there were more details on password sensitivity possibly that could help, because the site gives no requirements for creating the new password.

Any news?

Been having the same issue for two days. Does spotify not do server maintenance on the weekend? 

Still having this issue this morning. 

Suggested posts