Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Android App says no internet connection available while on t-mobile

Android App says no internet connection available while on t-mobile

Hello! 

Wanted to post here since so far i've been unable to find anything else online to see if anyone is having the same issues i'm experiencing. I noticed today that i'm unable to get a connection on the spotify app. Here's some info:

Phone: HTC One M8

Android Version: 4.4.4

Spotify Version: 1.5.0.739

APN: fast.t-mobile.com

Attempts to log out and log back in are unsuccessful as when i try to login, it says that there's no internet connectiona available. I've tried resetting the cache and rebooting the phone, i've tried a restart of the device and that didn't resolve the issue either.

The only thing i know of that's changed recently is my M8 received the KitKat 4.4.4 update. If i connect to wi-fi then i'm able to stream music just fine no problem, it's whenever i try to do it over cell is where I run into problems.

Has anyone else on T-Mobile been having any issues as of late with streaming anything on Spotify?

67 Replies

Hi there,
Welcome at the Spotify Community!

Have you already tried to reinstall Spotify by following the guide below (which has some additional things that needs to be cleared) from our 'Android Expert'?

To reinstall Spotify on Android, please follow all the steps correctly as given in this topic.

Please let us know if that helped for you.

I suspect this is to do with ipv6 on T-Mobile in the US. Can you edit your APN to be ipv4?

Open Settings > Mobile data > Access Point Names > T-Mobile GPRS (fast.t-mobile.com) > APN protocol, and change the selection from IPv6 to IPv4/IPv6

Please use the search feature before posting a problem/bug/idea.
What's a Spotify Rock Star, and how do I become one?
     Using Spotify Since March 10th 2009
     Twitter: @mechanimal82

Android Troubleshooting:
[COMPLETE GUIDE] How to fix most Android issues
Spotify Android Version History

Thanks for your suggestions!

Michael - I've checked and verified those folders mentioned in those steps do not exist, I have also tried formatting my SD card and reinstalling the app after a reboot but to no avail.

Daniel - unfortunately it appears the apn settings are locked and I'm unable to edit them.

Is it possible you can try creating a new APN but with IPv4 support? Use the detail (or copy from your current apn, then select ipv4/ipv6 from the right section.

http://support.t-mobile.com/docs/DOC-2090

Android Troubleshooting:

I'm able to create the new APN but when try to switch to it, a few seconds later it switches back automatically to the default IPv6 only APN.

Can you delete the original APN (Open it up, then tap the 3 dot menu in the top right and then tap delete) then re-select your newly created one?

Android Troubleshooting:

The APN is locked down pretty tight, It doesn't give me the ability to reset or remove the default APN.

Blow!

So the usual fixes aren't working..... I'm afraid it might be a call to T-Mobile Support and see if they can switch you back to ipv4. FYI T-Mobile in the US are the only carrier fully using ipv6 and this has caused a few cponflicts with apps... just search the NET.

I'm sure Spotify will eventually support it, but for the time being it's worth seeing if T-Mobile can do anything their end.

Android Troubleshooting:

I found that clicking the menu option and then choosing "reset to default" seemed to work for me.

I reset the apn settings and it worked for a just a moment, i started streaming a song and it seemed to work just fine, but then tried streaming another one and I ran into the same issue as before.

I'm working on reaching out to t-mobile to see what assistance they can give.

Sounds like tmob have enforced their apn. PITA

Android Troubleshooting:

I have exactly the same issue. Sony Z2 on tmobile LTE

I did talk to someone with T-Mo Technical Care and did say that he'd been getting a number of calls from people with 4.4.4 reporting issues with 3rd party apps connecting to the internet. So for right now i'm gonna hold out and see if HTC possibly sends out a hotfix for it.

I'm able to connect using wifi no problem so i just download the tracks and play it in offline mode.

Same here, in the interim, I did make a new APN that seems to be working. you may want to set one up with these parameters as well.

Everything was working but mms so I wiped out the MMS Proxy and port and made sure the mmsc had a dash in tmobile like the default one did.

I also compared the type to the default and made the change to "default,mms,supl,admin,hipri" MAKE SURE THERE ARE NO SPACES

tmoapn.PNG

I had the " no Internet connection"  error msg  on my tab3 at the same time as having the "silent running" problem,  even tho' the connection was fine. When I changed the quality of the stream below "extreme " both probs were solved. I think it was simply a bandwidth issue. Try it......nothing to lose? 

I've been having this frustating issue for a while now. Created a new APN using IPv4, works like a charm now. Thanks!

I'm having the exact same problem. For 3 weeks now.

Just tried this. Seems to be working for the moment!

Nothing has worked for me. Not reinstalling, deleting directory files, creating new APN. I have talked to Spotify technical help, T-Mobile technical help and HTC technical help. I'm paying for a service I can't use. The issue is definitely with the whole IPv4 protocol Spotify uses while T-Mobile uses IPv6. My default APN is locked and neither T-Mobile nor HTC were able to unlock it; I can add a new APN but a few seconds later it will just switch back to the default.

I tried other services like Rdio and Pandora, they work fine. Will have to cancel my Premium subscription until this gets fixed. 

Suggested posts