Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

No sound when playing

Solved!

No sound when playing

There is no sound when playing anything in Spotify on my android phone - whether the song has previously been downloaded or not. When online or offline. The phone does not have a problem with any other audio - and Spotify had previously worked on this phone.

I have tried several times to uninstall and reinstall the Spotify app from the Play Store, rebooting the phone each time. I've also tried changing the music quality through each of the 3 settings.

Your device:

HTC One XL

Device’s Operating System:

Android version 4.1.1 (Jelly Bean)

What type of account do you have?

Premium

Space left on your device?

1.45GB

Space left on your SD card?

22.36GB

Is your device rooted?

No

Did you manually install an older version before installing the latest version from the Play Store?

No

Do you have the same issue when switching between WiFi/Mobile Data (If applicable)?

Yes

My mobile Spotify version

My mobile provider and country

Telstra, Australia

Are you logging in with Facebook or with your Spotify login details?

Spotify login

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

SOLVED!

It turns out that the step that is needed to fix this is to the remove the battery. As my HTC One XL is a sealed unit, it is not possible to remove the battery. However, I followed the steps in this post: http://community.spotify.com/t5/Help-Android/sound-disappeared-on-HTC-one-X/m-p/364196#M15157 and it fixed the problem.

@Adam-W wrote:

This is similar to turning off your phone but try holding the Power button and the volume down button. On HTC One phones, this'll achieve the same effect of removing the battery on other Android phones, which often solves this.

So I held both the Volume Down and Power buttons until it rebooted and when it came back so did the volume...

View solution in original post

10 Replies

Have you checked the volume on your phone?  It may not be Spotify.  

As I said in my original post "The phone does not have a problem with any other audio". The phone can still play sound - all other apps as well as music and video can play just fine on the phone. It most definitely is a Spotify problem.

I tried reverting to older versions of the android app to see if I could get the sound working again.

These versions did not play the sound:

However version 0.4.12.180 does play the sound again.

Does anyone know what would stop the newer versions of the app from playing the sound?

Is there a way to contact Spotify support directly?

@GreatKingRat wrote:

Is there a way to contact Spotify support directly?

Yes of course, just go to this form to send them an email. 

Peter

Peter
Spotify Community Mentor and Troubleshooter

Spotify Last.FM Twitter LinkedIn Meet Peter Rock Star Jam 2014

If this post was helpful, please add kudos below!

I have the exact same problem. I have a HTC One S. And all my other apps is working with sound.

Often with no sound restarting the device will solve the problem.
----------------
Listening on Windows, Android and Sonos. Tweeting it at @davelicence

@licenced wrote:

Thanks, but I've tried restarting my phone many, many times (including before each reinstall) and it did not fix the issue.

Marked as solution

SOLVED!

It turns out that the step that is needed to fix this is to the remove the battery. As my HTC One XL is a sealed unit, it is not possible to remove the battery. However, I followed the steps in this post: http://community.spotify.com/t5/Help-Android/sound-disappeared-on-HTC-one-X/m-p/364196#M15157 and it fixed the problem.

@Adam-W wrote:

This is similar to turning off your phone but try holding the Power button and the volume down button. On HTC One phones, this'll achieve the same effect of removing the battery on other Android phones, which often solves this.

So I held both the Volume Down and Power buttons until it rebooted and when it came back so did the volume...

@GreatKingRat wrote:

@licenced wrote:

Thanks, but I've tried restarting my phone many, many times (including before each reinstall) and it did not fix the issue.

It's turning the phone off and back on again after the install that does the trick, not before

----------------
Listening on Windows, Android and Sonos. Tweeting it at @davelicence

Any other solutions to this?

Have tried all tips I can find regarding the "sound disappears" issue. I have un-installed, removed battery, installed, and then rebooted again. Nothing seems to fix this. I might get sound on the second song, but when it's over, the sound has disappeard againg, even though spotify shows that the song is playing. And, the equalizer is not on.

I'm seriously thinking of getting rid of spotify now.

Suggested posts