Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

[All Platforms] Explicit Filter

Add a button that controls whether Explicit songs are played or not.  When it is off and you're listening to an album or playlist, the explicit songs are skipped. That way you can still listen to your favorite album or playlist when more impressionable members of the family (kids / parents) are around.

Updated on 2018-12-06

Hey folks!

It's great to hear music as the artist intended it to be heard, this means Spotify can sometimes include explicit content.

We recommend looking out for the EXPLICIT tag on any releases (E on the web player).
Note: Our explicit content tags are applied based on information we receive from rights-holders. This means we can’t guarantee all explicit content is marked as such. 

It's also now possible to use the Explicit content filter on mobile and tablet devices (more devices coming soon!). Right now, the setting is only for the individual account and device. If you do apply the setting on your phone, it doesn't filter explicit content for the same account on the desktop app. It also doesn’t apply if you use Spotify Connect to play to another device. For more information on this, check out this support article.

We'll keep you up-to-date if there's anything else to share!

Thanks
Comments
lancemadigan
Agreed. I like to listen at work -- especially other people's libraries or "radio" -- but can't because never know what is going to pop up.
don955

Yes I agree.. I want to enjoy the songs - Not hear all that filth.

At least with Napster you turn on a filter in the menu so that it would only show the clean versions of songs. There's no place for explicit lyrics in a classy service like spotify. I've had to go back to using Rhapsody more.. at least it's eaiser to find the normal versions of songs.

don955

This should be an easy basic fix !  Let's do it

stiby78

My 7 year old son has discovered music in a big way and loves to have time to explore music and create playlists to play on the sonos speakers. But I would be much happier to be able to enable/disable explicit lyric songs.

Ideally it would either play a radio edit or just refuse to play such songs to my children, transparently playing clean versions preferable as so the child is unaware of the difference.

Personally because Sonos and other spotify media streaming appliences provide no parental control this should be controlled at the service level.

pytty

Or if you could prefer explicit version over cencored. Play original if it exists otherwise play censored.

wolfman683

ya, please! I really don't like putting on the explcit version of an album, and then having spotify go right to the clean version afterwards.

GeeDave

Yup.  Spotify is definitely not worth paying for if I have to worry about expletives flying around the office as I listen at work.

BruteForce

This would make Spotify a LOT more valuable to me.  I tend not to do much exploring, simply because I don't want to hear explicit lyrics.  Currently, I'd have to watch Spotify closely and proactively skip explicit tracks.  This would allow me to take a more hands off approach.

Murphybp2

It's great having so much music at your fingertips.  However the downside is that you also have content available that you may not want to hear or see.  I think it is a must that Spotify had some way for people to control and exclude offensive content from appearing in their account, such as songs and ads with vulgar language, and ads with risque images.  This would help parents who don't their kids to see this content.  It would also benefit people who don't want to be exposed to this themselves.

Here are the types of controls that I think should be included.  

• Filter out explicit songs so they don't show up in searches or playlists or anywhere else in the account.
  • Filter out inappropriate ads.  There are many ads that i don't want to see or hear because of either inappropriate words or pictures. 
  • Allow users to mark an ad as offensive. 
  • Hide Album covers that are offensive.  I have come across a number of albums with half naked women on them that I don't want to see.  So have an option to hide these covers, as well as tag covers as offensive.

These are just the ones I have thought of.  If anyone can think of others, please add your thoughs.

DJB31st

Another vote for this.

Surely something "community" based could be setup with community members tagging tracks as explicit..

Then the program can just perform a search for the radio version should that track crop up whilst "child mode" is on and skip if nothing is avaliable?