Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

[Android] Android Widget

Having a home screen widget for Android would be really nice. All other media players have one on Android so it'd be great to see that in Spotify too. It'd make things so much easier to just be able control to Spotify from your home screen instead of swiping down for the notification bar or opening the app. It's really simple functionality so please can you add it.

Updated on 2019-09-09

Hey folks, 

Thanks for sharing your thoughts on this idea in the Community.

We’re excited to let you know the Android Widget is back. To get listening, make sure you’re on the latest version of the app and Spotify will show in the widget menu on your device. The widget is now resizable too and some stability issues have been fixed. 

2019-09-09.jpg

We appreciate your passion for this feature and want to thank you all for your feedback!

Comments
Hsnbz

Good bye spotify.

Welcome youtube premium.

Shinsei-Red

Can you offer some insight as to WHY you chose to remove it? There's no actual explanation ANYWHERE and I find it quite disrespectful. So many people used the widget daily, me included, and we deserve that courtesy at least.

And btw, I think it's ABSURDLY CLEAR that the vast majority of people were extremely unhappy with this change. If I pay for your service, I feel entitled to have my widget, among other things, obviously. But a widget seems such a silly thing to remove, I mean... Really, who thought that was a good idea? 

3lement

I thought there was an issue with my phone. Bring back the widget. There was the 1 space in my layout where it complimented everything and people used to think it was really handy and a great feature. Looks like you're losing quite a few subscriptions over this... I might have to look around at alternatives too. I think it's disgraceful with the amount of traction this error of judgement has gotten. It's not that hard to have a working widget. What happened to devs being excited about implementing great features the user wanted? Is it just a cash and grab now? Pretty dissatisfied, I hope you reconsider and just put the widget back. Please listen to your bread and butter customers. 

blahblahblah234

Widget or quitting spotify.

Quite a decision.

JoostinOnline

Make sure you update your Play Store review. As long as they keep their 4+ star rating they've got very little incentive to add the widget back.

GrawlixL

There is no explanation for why they removed the widget, or ANY feature that they've cut. Seriously, I've asked their "executive team" a bunch of times now, and they dodge the question each and every time.

I've never seen a company so done with itself.

Jj1230

My entire family cancelled their Spotify subscription and we moved to Tidal.  We won't come back until this company starts taking customer opinions more seriously.

RScollo

Removing the widget was the dumbest idea, honestly. It's my main form of opening and using Spotify. I rarely use the notification bar, if ever, because I mainly start it when I'm about to drive and then use the lock screen. I think it's clear that this idea was a mistake and that it should be brought back. REMOVING functionality and ease of use doesn't seem to be such a good idea, so I'm not entirely sure how this got past anybody in the first place? Keeping it isn't a negative in any way shape or form.

Bring it back!!!! Listen to your community!!!

jayleigh

Why would you remove it in the first place? Zzzz