Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

[Android] Android Widget

Having a home screen widget for Android would be really nice. All other media players have one on Android so it'd be great to see that in Spotify too. It'd make things so much easier to just be able control to Spotify from your home screen instead of swiping down for the notification bar or opening the app. It's really simple functionality so please can you add it.

Updated on 2019-09-09

Hey folks, 

Thanks for sharing your thoughts on this idea in the Community.

We’re excited to let you know the Android Widget is back. To get listening, make sure you’re on the latest version of the app and Spotify will show in the widget menu on your device. The widget is now resizable too and some stability issues have been fixed. 

2019-09-09.jpg

We appreciate your passion for this feature and want to thank you all for your feedback!

Comments
p_tech4

"Watch This Space" Too late! I already cancelled my subscription and went to a competitor.

simplyvega

I'm so happy you guys are reinstating the widget! Thank you for listening to the community! 💘

I found this because I was wondering why it went missing. Please don't limit ways to access and control your content! All of your users re-engage because of your content, not your interface, so please don't limit access to the content and give us multiple ways to control it. A widget, the notification area, the lock screen, my WearOS device, Fitbit, Google Home, desktop, Daydream, mind control, telepathy, tarot cards.

RobertJCW

We did it! Widget will be back! Nice!

walp

I like how there's no ounce of regret or apology in Spotify's message.

Poor communication skills tbh, and again, middle finger to their customers.

Tommy_Cap215
Honestly im ok with that. We spoke they listened. I dont need the apology i
needed results. Id rather have an unapologetic change, then kinds words and
no progress lol.
Adagio

Thank you Spotify! It's nice to know that our voices are heard.

I'd love to know exactly why it was removed... But hey. Results are results. ^^

GrawlixL

Seriously, don't give Spotify credit for this.

Think for a second how stupid it was to get rid of the widget, or if we're being extra cynical, just how much they were willing to annoy literally every single user just to force them into seeing ads.

This is a company that would do something like that, and has made no indication of changes at the company that would prevent this from happening again in the future. You should be scared that they still haven't even offered so much as an explanation as to why the widget was removed to begin with. Things like this have happened before, and they will inevitably happen again. This app is still worse than it was a few months ago, and there are complaints that have gone unanswered for literally years.

The fact that it took THIS much public feedback is also a problem. How much are you going to have to fight the next time they make a bad decision? The only conceivable answer is "way too hard." They're going to keep cutting costs and trying to find new ways to squeeze more revenue from you, and they're going to do that by seeing just how much they can get away with.

Spotify is not your friend, and if the past several MONTHS are anything to go by, they sure as heck aren't anything close to a good company either.

You should still consider the competitors that never had this kind of problem to begin with.

streetspirit

OK.... Good... At last .... When ???

Tommy_Cap215
Yet. I get your sentiment i do. But we didnt have to fight. This was a no
effort win with minimal aggravation. I made a post. Alot of people agreed.
The company responded in our favor.

How else are they to guage and rectify problems or mistakes or misjudgment?

They are a business and are always looking to maximize profit. Enough
people felt strongly about an issue and spoke it it causing them to
rectify.

Condemning a business for trying to make money is just ridiculous. Now if
they said ya know what we recognize this was a mistake, and still dont care
then i would feel differently.

Im not pretentious enough to need a formal apology nor do i need an in
depth explanation.

I had an issue, lots of people agreed, offending party is changing. All
from a post that took me 3 minutes and so far a week or so of
inconvenience. I downloaded a different app in the meantime. I dont have
time to stew over the smaller details. Im more solutions oriented.
Rickycr96

Espero lo más antes posible mi Widget no voy a contratar premium mientras no esté el widget