Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

[Android] Better landscape layout

Okay Spotify, this is your portrait layout. Notice the excellent use of space, nothing is wasted.

SPOTIFY_P.jpg

This is your landscape layout. Notice the tiny art and wasted space...

SPOTIFY_L1.jpg

Now look at this mockup.  Isn't this a lot better?

SPOTIFY_L2.jpg

You're welcome.

Ron

Updated: 2016-01-27

Hey folks, you now have a new and improved landscape experience on Android!

Screenshot_2016-01-27-16-57-12.png

Comments
Ozstl
Watermark the **bleep**ing buttons float over artwork blown up to fit whole screen in landscape mode. That is it Spotify! I just turned off my premium subscription, bought 128 gb iphone 6s plus and coverflow app gives me above explained landscape mode and one more thing that also pissed me off about premium.. You can not have apple lossless format for your offline saved songs. Now with the coverflow and 128gb i listen to true cd quality not aac320 and trust me i can hear the difference in guitar sounds. Since i have a ton of storage now i spend my ten bucks a month and own the cds and load them to my itunes in apple lossles format then move my favourite songs from that artist to the phone in apple lossless. For the convenience of searching an oddball song every now and the i guess i can use spotify free but not paying $10 month for that portrait crap and no apple lossless. C ya

It looks as though this has been implemented, but the status hasn't been changed on the post. Can somebody do something about this please?

Screenshot_2015-12-17-22-14-42.png

Marco

@user-removed and @RonMosesI will message the community staff about it, so they'll mark it as Implemented!
Thanks for the feedback. 🙂

RonMoses

@Marco I'm sorry, I'm supposed to do what now?

Marco

@RonMoses You don't need to do anything, I will get back to the community staff about it and they will mark your idea as 'Implemented'.

Might take a bit with Christmas vacations and all but should be soon. 😉

meahtenoha
Status changed to: Implemented

Updated: 2016-01-27

Hey folks, you now have a new and improved landscape experience on Android!

Screenshot_2016-01-27-16-57-12.png

RonMoses

Very nice. Thank you for listening to your users, it's very encouraging!

I have one more tweak for you on that interface, but I'm going to write up a new post on that. 😉

Why not put playback controls on the right side so that they can be accessed easier? Most people are right-handed after all.

RonMoses

@user-removed

> Why not put playback controls on the right side so that they can be accessed easier?

> Most people are right-handed after all.

As the guy who first proposed this layout, I was taken aback at first when I saw they'd "swapped" the layout. But the more I've used it, I've come to appreciate it as a very good idea, for three reasons:

1. I have a Samsung Galaxy Note 4, which is a huge phone. At that size, the difference in placement is maybe 2-1/2". I simply don't think the left-vs-right handed argument holds water at that scale. I can't imagine a reasonable, able-bodied person finding such a small difference to be a significant accessibility issue. The difference is even less when you consider where the Back and Play buttons where located in the original layout.

2. The only time I actaully use landscape mode is when I'm in my car. My phone is mounted to my right, which puts the controls closer to me. I realize this argument only holds for this one situation, but I wouldn't be surprised to find it applies to many if not most users.

3. Hopefully you've noticed they added swipeable album art. This wasn't part of my suggestion, and I don't think they've drawn much attention to it, but once I noticed it I was very impressed with it. (Though a tap to play/pause would have been a welcome and obvious addition.) You'll see a small segment of the next track's album cover peeking out on the right. If the album art was on the left, this would look very awkward. And having this swipeable art on the right serves the same purpose as having the Back/Forward controls on the right, but in even more accessible form.

Give it a little time to grow on you. I think you'll find it makes a lot of sense, despite appearing"backwards" at first.

ron

@RonMoses

I don't mind actually 🙂 I'm on iOS anyway.
I was just curious about the reasons behind this decision. Thanks for explaining, your arguments make a lot of sense.