Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

[Android] Rearrange Tracks inside a Playlist

On my iPod I can manually move my songs around that are in my playlist, but I can't do the same on my phone which is what I mostly use. It would be easier to have that option on all devices.

Updated on 2018-07-11

Hey!

The Spotify Community team here.

We're pleased to confirm that this feature should now be available to all Android users.
We'd recommend double-checking that you're running the latest version of Spotify.

Once again, thanks for showing your support here in the Community.
/M
Comments
topierce
Yeah. Recently switched to Android. Was able to do it on IPad.
Thanks
topierce

Thanks. Was able to do it on my IPad, so all' good for now.

LynxLee

Add the feature on Android platforms to rearrange tracks in playlists. Not having this option has been very inconvenient.

Haddock99

Rearrange function  should be a standard tool for Playlists in phone or whatever. 

Songs that matches in tempo should be together. No spread out. 

Silverayn24

I see that Spotify thought this was a good idea a year ago....I certainly hope they are working on it. It's the one downside to an otherwise amazing service

Haddock99

I Googled for an app (other then Spotify) that could play Spotifys songs but had a better kind of playlist. I didn't find any - yet.

rslschell

I hope you are still working on a solution for rearranging songs on android devices! Without that feature, I am considering other options for my music listening. Thank you!

EarlPurple

For those that have access to a web browser on a desktop, it is possible to do the following using Playlist Converter:

1. Load your playlist from Spotify

2. Export to plain text

3. switch the order of the tracks to how you want them

4. Copy the new order

5. refresh the window or open another one of Playlist Converter

6. Paste in the new order of the tracks

7. Create a NEW playlist based on this new order

You can then listen to this playlist on your android.

Still this is not a very good workaround. And you can't "fix" which version of the song Playlist Converter has picked, which is often the issue in the first place.

Incidentally it is possible to "reorder" within an Android up to a point, i.e. you can take a track and add it to the playlist again ignoring the warning. That will put it to the bottom. And then you can delete it from its current location. Doing this lots of times would rearrange your playlist to any order but would obviously be tedious. And most of the time I want to insert a track in a desired location (usually replacing one that is already there).

grbsoft

@EarlPurple 🙂

Sure, you can do all that or you can ask a company thats taking our money every month and pays significally high ammounts of money to his Android developer(s) to fix this... it is easy to do, they just don't want to.

Tired of all that I've decided to learn how to develop an Android app. After two months of learning the basics and starting with more advanced topis I can tell you that it is NOT hard to do.

@Borowscy made an app but Google Play banned it for "impersonating" Spotify although the app doesn't even play a single song, then a few weeks later he also released the source code to the public, I'm afraid that I don't know that much to make all the pieces work together, but I will 🙂

Anyway, this is not the right way to do that. Spotify is the only one to blame in order to fix this lack of basic functionality, we've at the point that somebody (you :)) suggested to make a new list just to reorder the current playlist... and if your later change your mind you will be doing this all over again? Can you imagine this on some scenario where you have to change instantly one song for another?

Spotify, stop this nonsense and at least consider this for future BETA versions. At least gives us the chance to TELL YOU that we need that, because here in the community no one listens, same as in twitter or emailing support with template responses "we hear you!" "well pass it to our dev team"

Sometimes I think it was a better scenario if they just tell us "yeah we know how to fix it but we won't do it, okay?" There must be some legal action to be taken for an Android app (or music service) lacking of basic functionality 🙂

The Spotify Android app feels like a nice calculator with pretty colors and all the numbers from 0 to 9 but with a small detail, it can't multiply, or sum, or do any operation at all, it just prints out numbers. In the meantime the company that makes that calculator wastes time changing colors and adding useful features like "number of the day". Its a matter of time for us to choose to get back to paper an pencil 🙂

EarlPurple

I often want to change one song. I get a live version by mistake (it didn't say it was live until I played it). Or some other version I didn't want like a foreign version of Marianne by Cliff Richard that I got last week in my 1968 playlist.

A playlist is not just a list of songs, it has an order.

spotlistr (if it works) can be better than playlist converter (as long as you are creating a Spotify list) because you get a choice of matching tracks. However you can still only create a new playlist with it, not edit an existing one. And whilst it lets you print a playlist it doesn't let you rearrange the tracks on one.