Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

[Connect] Publish the Spotify Connect API

Spotify should publish the required documentation for implementing Spotify Connect on internet-enabled receivers / speakers. 

Updated on 2019-04-09

Hey folks, 

Thanks for adding your vote to this idea. 

Use of the Spotify Connect Web API is now in beta. You can check out the details here.

You can also find out a lot more about devloping with Spotify at the Spotify for Developers website.

Thanks!

Comments
Djdumont

Basically, this would enable developers to create apps and background deamons that turn any old internet ready device with a soundcard into a spotify connect server, it could connect to xbmc, raspberry, and many other devices and operating systems. This would truely helpt to spread spotify on a wider selection of devices, inspire creative development and progress and help spotify to reach into new customer segments. I really hopy you do this soon as competition with google play music, amazon and microsoft is getting tighter. You really need those extra devices. 

cheers 

Like many others I'm starting to seriously consider other streaming platforms. The support we get is pretty ridiculous. After the huge amount of time it took to support connect for desktop clients, it takes another few years (!) before someone from spotify says no to people implementing their own connect software. It doesn't require any actual extra work from spotify's side, so I'm assuming they intend some sort of vendor locking.

Add to that that they've deprecated libspotify but STILL haven't released a desktop api (just android and ios) and it is pretty clear they have no interest in open software.

dieselpower44

Totally unsurprised at this point that this is yet another "not right now."

They refuse to implement anything that takes any time to do. Only the most selfish, greedy companies don't invest any of their profits to improve their service. I'm just about done with them.

meahtenoha
Status changed to: Not Right Now
Updated: 2017-02-21

Hey everyone, thanks for your continued kudos and comments here. We  wanted to let you we still don't have plans to publish the Spotify Connect API. This idea will still be open for kudos votes and we'll post here should anything change. Thanks for coming to the Community with your ideas!

Vikzlutt

I mean, we are paying, I dont see why Spotify wont release the API.

meahtenoha
Status changed to: Under Consideration

Hey @TJay, we're back with another update on your idea. We've noted on our blog here that we "are focused on newer and better APIs that we actively support and maintain. These APIs include the Web API, iOS and Android SDKs, and upcoming embedded libraries for Windows, Mac OS X and Linux. More information regarding upcoming libraries will be provided in the coming months." We're going to mark this as 'Under Consideration' and let you know here if we have any other details. Thanks!

Bongoernem

I wonder when they will ever come back with more and usefull information.

huwgrind

+1

Jhbnede

And more specific- when having Google assistant launch and play Spotify on the Android device, enable automatic casting to Chromecast that can be included in a ifttt applet.

TomLegend
Status changed to: Implemented

Updated on 2019-04-09

Hey folks, 

Thanks for adding your vote to this idea. 

Use of the Spotify Connect Web API is now in beta. You can check out the details here.

You can also find out a lot more about devloping with Spotify at the Spotify for Developers website.

Thanks!