Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

[Desktop] Add support for Apple Silicon (ARM64 on Mac)

Feature request:

Add support for Apple Silicon in a future Spotify release on Mac OS.

Apple have recently released a new generation of Macs based on their own Apple Silicon. I hope that Spotify will prioritize native support for this new CPU architecture.  If so the best music platform on the Mac, will continue running great natively on the new generation Mac hardware.

Hey everyone,

Thank you all for bringing your feedback to the Community Idea Exchange and participating in this Beta test!

Your input has been invaluable and helped us tweak the app to make full use of the new CPU architecture.

We're happy to announce that the app is now out of Beta and can be downloaded from our website. You should automatically get the correct version for your Mac's CPU and all updates will be automatic as well, just the way it was in the past.

This idea is now officially implemented! Thanks once more for all your votes and posts.

Happy listening! 🎶

Comments
dsranawake

The apple silicon Spotify beta is working well for me on my m1 mac with way fewer crashes, bugs and CPU usage vs the intel 'stable version'. Hope this gets released as a full, non-beta version soon.

chartz2

The update worked. But still no hi-fi 😥

qasim311

Can you please remove the update notification for the beta? I don't want to be forced into upgrading to non-M1 app.

Novy

Hey @qasim311

Thanks for your message. 

Keep in mind that an update in the beta should only download another ARM64 beta. Would you mind giving us a bit more info about what you mean? Is this not happening for you? 

Also, could you let us know which version you get after downloading the update?

Keep us posted.

qasim311
The installer you posted is: 1.1.66.578.gc54d0f69-a
I automatically get updated to this: 1.1.66.580.gbd43cbc9-a

Are they both silicon M1 updates? Thanks
KatesHere

@qasim311 - If you've downloaded the original beta installer and it had an update, I think it's still an update for the M1-supported beta.

I just downloaded the initial updater for mine and it had a newer version available to update right away!

After it finished, I got to this version:

Spotify for macOS (Apple Silicon)
1.1.67.586.gbb5ef64e

Just coming back to say that the full reset of the app seems to have resolved the 'pick 3' issue.

dadezdzedzdz

New update downloaded within the app today.

Spotify for macOS (Apple Silicon)
1.1.67.586.gbb5ef64e

RemTheBlue

I can't  see Spotify icon on Touch Bar when Spotify is in background , beside that , everything else seems fine

Luke
Status changed to: Under Consideration

Updated on 2021-09-07

Hey there,

I‘ve got another short update for you 🙂

Everyone who downloaded and installed the M1 version of Spotify should get auto updates specifically for this version and not the Intel version.

Should you have any feedback or issues please continue posting them here and we‘ll be happy to help!

More updates coming soon.

Have a nice day!

Hi everyone, sorry for the issues with the latest update.

The new version is available, and can be downloaded from the dmg file we shared previously. 

The new version should fix any issues with playback that had been occurring and the recent login issue.

Please continue to provide any feedback you have in the thread and we'll keep you posted on updates as we have them.

Hi everyone,

We have been working hard backstage on this and are happy to announce that we now have a Beta version of our app available. It features many compatibility improvements and optimizations for the new Apple architecture.

You can download this Beta app from here. It would be great if you do so and then post feedback on your experience here. 

Please note that as a Beta, some unexpected behavior might still occur. We'll use all the feedback and info we get from you to tweak and improve your Spotify experience. And if everything works great we’d love to hear that too!

To install the Beta app, double click the .dmg file and then drag the app to your Applications folder, replacing the version you may have installed now. To go back to the regular version, please download and install it from https://spotify.com/download.

We can’t wait to hear from you and learn how your experience was. Take care!