Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

[Desktop] Bring back the ability to add local files to Your Library

Just discovered that the feature to add local files from my desktop to my library has been removed. I have a large amount of music that I have as files on my computer which are not available on the Spotify library for various reasons, but I still want to be able to add them to my personal playlists and listen to them on the same platform as the rest of my music. I can't be the only one who has this issue. Being able to add my own music to a library is a bit of a make-or-break feature for a music application for me.

Updated on 2020-11-19

Hey there folks,

We really appreciate your passion for this feature and want to thank you all for your feedback!

Your voice has been heard and this is now implemented into our current test version of the 'New Desktop Experience'.

Feel free to share any further feedback related to this feature, or the new test version in general, here.

Happy listening 🎶

Comments
ParentalControl

I honestly won't miss local files. I don't like spotify's app touching my files without my permission anyways.

Ironhammer48

Very disappointed!  Downloaded Premium App in order to use this on all my devices. Have many previously installed MP3's (previously on Google Play Music, which is terminating).  All information I read prior to downloading Spotify informed me that I could use previously purchased CD's - most of these are not in the Spotify Library as they are in the 'Church' Genre.  Hope this will be resolved soon!

AuctusXV

I would have love for Spotify to add Local Files and Cloud Upload storage on mobile like other competitors Apple Music, Youtube Music. Spotify's method of Local Files on mobile is unnecessary. Spotify is the best streaming service, these features would kill their competitors!

lotekjunky

It's not a new idea, it's an OLD IDEA that you removed on purpose. Why? Put it it back.

Bquaink

Whyyyy do they keep removing these useful features?? I really don't get spotify's business plan. 

ThatSofia
 I don't like spotify's app touching my files without my permission anyways.

Them removing support for local file playback won't stop them from reading your files if they wanted. 

Powerline

Google just did me dirty by killing Play Music. I'm turn apart. I reluctantly came to Spotify. 

They are missing SO many BASIC functionality like this. Please bring this feature. I would love to listen to my spanish lessons again from any device any where. 

Thanks

lukehibbs

Removing functionality like this is a good way to lose a subscription. 

pedrowsaffa

Edit -> Preferences -> Local Files

Press the slider for "Show Local Files"

Press the slider "Show songs from"

Press ADD A SOURCE

You can also listen on a mobile device by doing the following

1. Create a playlist e.g. LocalFilesFromMyPC

2. Add all your local files to the new playlist

3. On your mobile device, wait for the playlist to  appear and then Press the Download slider on the playlist.

rich4468

Edited - Already answered, didn't see the comments.