Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

[Music] Stop Playback after a Track

I hate to stop the music in the middle of a track, so i would love some way to make Spotify stop playback after the current track.

Right now I can simulate the desired behaviour by right-clicking an empty playlist, (that i have created for this purpose only) and selecting "Choose as Current Playlist" and making sure that the play queue is empty. While this is a nice workaround, I think that it would make sense to include a real "Stop Playback After Current Track"-function in Spotify.

Update (2015-02-01):

The previously suggested workaround doesn't even work any more as Rapti has pointed out in a comment. At one point it could even make Spotify crash completely.

I would like to point out that a saner, more flexible queuing system could allow even finer control over when to stop playing. Thus people who like this idea might also like:

Updated on 2021-07-19

Hey folks,

Thanks for coming to the Spotify Idea Exchange and voting to make this happen.

We're happy to announce that this function is now available on mobile devices via the Sleep Timer feature. It can be activated through the moon icon directly in the Now Playing View of podcasts, or through the three dot menu in the Now Playing view of songs. 

Once again, thanks for helping us make Spotify better, by participating here on the Community.

Comments
StopAfterTrack

LemBi, if on Android, a workaround is to use an app called SleepTimer. Just set it for the duration of the track, and have it play Spotify. It will close the app after the indicated time has elapsed.

It's cumbersome, but it's the best solution I've found.

I wish Spotify would just implement a Stop Playback After Track function.

Connor1994

I would love this feature so much! Often I’m about to head out the door and getting things together but I don’t want to kill the music early. A way to end playing at the end of a track would be so nice to use regularly. 

hamischicken

Got to say, this all feels a bit surreal.

This suggestion has been made 6 years ago. More than 500 people in this community are backing it. It's a very minor feature with a huge impact on convenience which I didn't even consider could be missing from a serious piece of music software like Spotify until I kept looking for it in vain and finally stumbled upon this.

How is this still not a thing? Feels increasingly difficult to hide my disappointment right now. This seems like such a basic function. Not even a gimmick, just useful.

tdous

In particular I'd find this useful for podcasts which I often want to listen to one episode of as you might an audiobook or something while drifting off to sleep.

Carlpole

Please implement this. I for one want to use Spotify for tabletop RPGs as the variety of music it can provide is perfect, but when I want to play just one song then stop, I'm forced to remember when to press pause. It makes it very awkward. +1 user waiting for this feature.

lotsoft

Not only is there a lot of support for this feature, but it should be so easy to implement.  Just do it.  Please.

soapybubs

This drives me crazy! Every podcast starts with loud intro music, so I skip it, get myself to sleep, thehn wake up to the same music an hour later. The anhnoying thing is, because I am awake again, the cycle continues! 

I can appreciate not doing this for music, but for podcasts some are designed to be slept to, and it is so annoying to not cater to the people who use podcasts for this! 

chikun89

Now that Streamlabs and Twitch users have the option for songrequesting it would be highly benefitial that spotify would allow the option of "stop when song is finished"

Marv1080

Please add this feature! Especially for podcasts

Syt1976

As others have said this would be an extremely useful function for podcast listeners. Additionally, there's a large number of excellent guided meditation CDs on Spotify. It's rather jarring to finish listening to one and then immediately have another random track start playing.

Same goes for the by now large number of (German) audio plays that are available. I love Spotify, but for this type of contents I rather go elsewhere these days.