Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Starting a radio plays song you choose as base

It's annoying that when i get to a song i'm feeling, and i right click and go to "start radio" the radio plays a different song then the one i choose. It would be great if spotify just went right into the radio without skipping or even pausing the current song. Then after that played a new song that sounds similar.

Updated: 2015-04-13

Hey guys, we're happy to say this is implemented for Premium users on any device, and Free users using a desktop or tablet. 

Free users on mobile devices can shuffle songs and start radio stations, streaming on demand is still a Premium-only feature

Thanks for all your feedback!

Comments
brodey

This still doesn't work for me? Perhaps I found an exception? I choose "Start Song Radio" from right-clicking on a song title and that song I just chose to start from then starts from the beginning. It's maddening. Please fix this!

I'm on Spotify v 1.0.16.104.g3b776c9e.

gugazevedo2
Please Spotify support, 
Make this simple change. Don't stop the music's playback when we click to a start a radio.
I'm listening to a great music, then I think: "I'll start a radio based on it.' Boom.. the music starts again. =| This is annoying and perharps it's simple to solve.

by darden68 on ‎2012-06-10 09:07 AM

Starting a radio based on the current song, without stopping its playback but merely enqueuing new tracks

Marco

Hello!
For everyone that thinks that the song shouldn't be started again, please add your kudos here:
https://community.spotify.com/t5/Live-Ideas/Radio-Start-Song-Radio-on-current-song-should-NOT-restar...

Thanks!

Veronicabedolla
So i found a song i have been looking for a while now and i listened to it but then when i wanted to listen to it again a different song came up why does this happen
cavevs

It s really annoying everytime spotify is updated it sets itself to startup at windows startup...

AllMightyEye

I'm listening mostly through the web now but on my app. it says that “No Other Love”
(The Johnston Brothers) is marked as “SONG RADIO”, then why does (a) title(-s) like           
“Cotton Field (The Cotton Song)” with Teresa Brewer come up ?
The only similarity music-wise is possibly the time period in which it was created.

Maybe I've misunderstood the functionality “Radio” for Free users ?
“...and Free users using a desktop or tablet”.
As far as I can see the functionality works (identically) the same on my lap-top.

If we click thumbs down for a particular song not to be included in the radio,
won't it be excluded from being played elsewhere – on another “Radio” ?
The suggestions that comes may very well be good songs, (but) a good feature would be
to be able to refer a suggestion to another, more suitable “Radio”

Tmonhollon

This radio created on song search and play  should be automatic as it's the most obvious way someone would want to continue listening. I'm on my third remix of the same song, which is why I found this feedback thread. Seems like it's not fully implemented? 

Pinkfloydnow

It's still quite annoying the fact you start Radio feature and Spotify starts again from the beginning the same song you are listening. Does it make sense?

Not for me, really as I need to skip it once everytime I start a new radio.

stygianmessiah

Hi, 

I know this feature works for songs for most part, but there are some songs, where when I start radio with the song, that song is NEVER there on the list. Why does this happen?

Thanks.

Ultra_HR

This doesn't seem to work a lot of the time. I'm not sure if it relates to whether or not I have listened to the track recently, or if I have used the same radio before - but sometimes, when I start a song radio, it doesn't play the base song first.

IMO, it should always do this. It's much easier to skip the first track if you don't want to hear it than to go back to the radio base song, add it to queue, and skip the first track in the radio to hear the base song.

Could you provide clarity on when the base song is played and when it is not?