Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

[Your Music] Add & Remove Content separately (Artist, Album, Songs)

I am really enjoying the new update that I received earlier today that adds the "Your Music" area to Spotify, but I would like to throw out some ideas to help make the feature more enjoyable.

While using the new + feature to add songs to the songs list in the "Your Music" area I noticed that it also adds the artist and the album to their respected areas. You should be able to remove an album and/or artist from their list without it removing that specific song from it's list. This feature should be implemented for the song, artist, and album section.

Example:

If I click the new + symbol on the song: "Bun B - Get Throwed", it will add it to the song, artist, and album list in the new "Your Music" section.

If I remove that song from the "song" list in the "Your Music" area it will remove the song from the artist and album list as well.
If I remove that album from the "album" list in the "Your Music" area it will remove the song and artist list as well.

If I remove that artist from the "artist" list in the "Your Music" area it will remove the song and album list as well.

I should be able to edit and arrange these individual list to my liking. If I want a "Bun B" track in my song list, but not in my album and artist list I should have the ability to do so.

Updated on 2019-06-25

Hey folks, 

Thanks for adding your vote to this idea. 

The recent update to Spotify has changed the way liking things works that now reflect this idea.

Liking an album or song won’t automatically follow the artist, but you can follow them from their artist profile and find Recommended artists to follow in Your Library where you can follow them with one tap.

If you'd like to know more about the changes to the app, you can check out the article here.

Thanks 💚

Comments
GraemeKerr
This would actually make me use the new features. The joy of 'Starred' was if you really liked a few tracks from an artist you could put them somewhere. Now if I put a few tracks from an artist in, I get an unwanted album too! Please make this a reality.
mrmindatl

Here are a few ideas:

Bring back Library view, at least on the desktop version, where people can see everything in a comprehensive, classic, easily customizeable and organizeable view. What was wrong with the Library view that let you click in each column to organize alphabetically or time based by song name, artist name, album name, date added, etc? Isn't this essentially how people have come to understand digital playlists over the last 23 years since WinAmp came out? Think iTunes, Serato, Traktor, VLC, etc. This is standard computer UI, no need to reinvent.

In ALBUMS view of YOUR MUSIC:

-This should include the entire album regardless of how many songs from the album you've added into SONGS.

Example: I listen to a song, + it, and it adds the song into SONGS. When I go to ALBUM view, the entire album that song came from is there, with a  indicator as to which SONGS I've added. Next to the songs in the album I haven't added in to SONGS, there would still be a +. This is essentially treating the ALBUMS view as a shortcut to the "Go to Album" button, which is currently buried at the bottom of the drop down yet proves the most handy information when considering an album. This also solves for people's anger over not being able to see which songs in ALBUM view are their favorites, the way STARS used to.

-In the drop down menu, there should be an "add entire album" option for those who want to make sure they see all songs in all views. I think you'll find that there are more people dissappointed with the lack of a quick way to see which songs are their favorites within ALBUM view than there are people who don't want to see all songs from a saved album in their SONGS list. The above solution would solve for that.

In ARTISTS view of YOUR MUSIC:

Make ARTISTS a shortcut to an Artist Page, and put the songs people have added at the top of the Artist Page, above "Popular."

Similarly to the way I outlined ALBUMS, Rather than only showing a single track, or collection of a few tracks you have added, as it is now, it would show the Artist's comprehensive work with your own favorites at the top. Hierarchy-wise I'd rather know which songs I like than which songs other people like, so Popular can take a small backseat to that.

Aside from a lack of a quick visual favorite indicator, I think burying "Go to Album" and "Go to Artist" at the bottom of the dropdown is one of the most annoying parts of the new version. The old flip cover function allowed for a faster way to get there to either view without scrolling, and the above changes I've outlined would solve nicely for that.

You could still have the subtitle of "xx songs" under the artist name to indicate how many songs from that artist you've added, but discovery of new music would only require scrolling down a little rather than clicking through the "..." then scrolling some more.

These changes would encourage quicker and more frequent discovery, would increase one's curation tools, indicate one's favorites, and would expand the ominously named, proprietary "YOUR music" into a more robust collection of music you like by artists you like.

Additionally, One should be able to make a radio station out of all these categories.

Now every time I like a new song, I have to both add it to YOUR MUSIC and my starred playlist to be able to make a station out of it. I covered this in a comment about this topic in another thread, just reiterating here.

Thanks!

dhoulb
This would be cool. The My Albums and My Artists views aren't really useful to me right now, as It's just full of random compilations and whatever crap the song I liked was on. If the feature is going to be there, I'd like to make it useful, and I probably would spend some time adding my favourite albums to it, even though that's not really how I browse music.
lpfreak1170

Yes!  This is THE most frustrating thing about Your Music (which is a good idea) to me right now.  I don't want every song on an album saved to my songs since I use that (and starred) as a list of favorite songs only.

cohenfs
hans-jürgen

I'm an album-oriented listener, so I actually like it that adding an album to Your Music automatically adds all songs to Songs which I can then use as a very entertaining library radio with hardly any repetition when playing it in shuffle mode. But I agree that it is confusing how Your Music works now, so maybe it should be made an option if I want to have the current behaviour or not.

scarletmiri

SO TRUE. I love saving entire albums, but the problem is that now my songs list is over 1200 songs long! I did an estimate--gave up counting after 250... It would be FANTASTIC if they only went under albums, and Your Songs was more like starred. 

Was just about to list this as an improvement suggestion

Very annoying to see all the album tracks listed under "songs"

The point of ticking a track is because we want to star that particular song - not the whole album

Btw, what happened to the "starred" feature

KrisSnoo

Just a quick and concrete idea:

You should be able add three entities to my music: songs, albums and artists.

They are handled independently.

Inside the artist node you should be able to click an artist and  to browse all his albums from the artist page. You should be able to remove unwanted albums

Inside the album node you should be able to browse albums also hierarchically by artist, genre and year so that the collected albums appear on a sublevel.

That would be a good management and it seems simpler solution than mrmindatls! 😉

baileyswalk

Your Music doesn't work for me for the reasons given above, very bad design IMHO.

As mentioned the elements in your music should be independant and in addition to that the 'check marks' on any view should also reflect this.

A check next to the artist that have been added to your music (kinda done with the following button at the moment).

One for albums (kinda done with the save buttong currently).

The + sign next to songs to show tracks added to songs.

It's such a mess having all these elements mixed. I have literally hundereds of single tracks I'd like to add but have no desire to have the album and artist added also. Then when I add an album it dumps a load of unwanted songs into rendering both lists unmanagable and a mess. I've yet to find anyone that thought this new feature is good, just not many of them will speak out about it. It could be soo good, I hate all the albums I have in playlists but cannot use your music - hope it changes soon!