Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

[iOS] Apple Watch: Spotify Streaming and Offline Listening

Apple Watch: Offline Listening

watchOS 5 should allow Spotify to develop an app that allows offline listening and streaming via cellular data.

Vote here to show your support for this development!

Updated on 2021-07-20

Hey everyone,

Thanks for coming to the Spotify Idea Exchange and voting to make this happen.

Тhis has been one of our most upvoted ideas and we've known it's something that our users would really like to see come true. 
We're happy to announce that this feature will now become available for the Apple Watch Series 3 or later.

It will be gradually rolled out, so it might take a bit until everybody has access to it.  That being said, we'd like to let you know that the roll-out rate has increased a lot in the last weeks, so if you haven't received the feature in the past, try reinstalling the app on your watch again and there's a big chance you'll get Offline listening now.

Once again, thanks for helping us make Spotify better and voting to make this happen, here on the Community.

Comments
joe_main

Having read comments elsewhere on the internet (Youtube, Reddit), it seems no one actually has this update yet. It was prematurely announced I guess, and is still being worked on.

I understand that new feature rollouts don't always go smoothly, but it's been over a month now since it was supposed to be released. If my team had a release deadline and claimed to have met it, then were still working on it a month later, I'm pretty sure we'd all be fired.

Gregoire1970

Actually, Joe, although I’m pretty disappointed myself about still not being able to use my Apple Watch offline, I have seen reports of users being able to use the new feature. It’s a matter of having just a bit more patience I guess…

https://community.spotify.com/t5/iOS-iPhone-iPad/Downloading-music-on-Apple-Watch/m-p/5222331#M13305...

ddworin

This is exactly why Garmin continues to outpace the Apple Watch when it comes to serving the running community and athletes who enjoy listening to music while using their device. Garmin has many models of sports watches that do the EXACT thing that the people in this forum are asking for. I'd like to see Apple turn up the heat on Spotify. Ooooooh. It just makes me so angry. I know there are bigger problems in the world, sure. But c'mon. 

ddworin

BUT THEN... I'm also pretty darn displeased with Apple because all that they're interested in is keeping their music platform going as strong as they can against Spotify, their competition. Spotify is hands-down better than Apple Music. GAAAAHHHHHH! 

CaseFaceMcGee

Y'all still haven't don't jack squat on this yet? What a joke. More proof that you don't give a damn about product improvement.

Apple opened their API in 2018 to Spotify and other streaming services.  some shitty watch holders like Garmin , Samsung or whatever think their is better soo go get the watch and enjoy. 
Apple Watch is number selling watch in the world and Spotify’s developer are slow and ignorant to game. 
They can’t afford to pay 30% for first month and the it’s 15%. Poor Spotify want to keep all the profit and not share with musicians and Apple/ google etc. what a dodgy European company. 

DesignByAdrian

@ddowing You can't blame Spotify for the competition with Garmin. You can listen to music on the Apple Watch after all; with Apple Music.

Anyway, running with an AW and an iPhone, playing offline playlists from the phone, is very buggy. Music sometimes stops, and often it just replays the last three tracks over and over. I hope the update comes with a generally les buggy Watch app.

michanbg

Don't complain, just cancel the account.

I did it a few days ago. Too much focus on podcasts, too less effort on music. And an UI that is getting worse and worse for music lovers that really care about artists and albums. that want to decide on theirselves what they are listining to. that don't want to just start any playlist and never care about what's playing.

spotify should rename their brand to "castify" or "playlistify"

A7I7S

It’s been over a month since this update and still nothing. What a disappointment 

Gioac_01

Hi,

to me function to download to Apple Watch it is not available yet. Customer care replied me they simply don't know when.

I'll cancel the premium and move to Apple Music then.

• Italy
  • Premium Family
  • Iphone11 with iOS 14.5
  • Apple Watch Series 3 with watchOS 7.5