Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

[iOS] Siri Integration

Instead of Siri Integration in the way this post is requesting, Siri Shortcuts Support would be far more useful and beneficial to the users, and easier for Spotify to implement. Please vote for this idea instead:

https://community.spotify.com/t5/Idea-Submissions/iOS-Other-Shortcut-Support/idi-p/4569462#M87573

Now that Apple has announced an API for developers to have access to Siri, it would great if Spotify supported it, as well as announcing Siri support in the update release notes instead of the worthless "We're always making changes and improvements to Spotify" messages, that make finding new features a guessing game. (Like support for 3D Touch.)

Updated on 2019-10-07

Spotify is now integrated into Siri on Apple iOS devices.

This eagerly awaited feature will let you control Spotify and play music, podcasts, and playlists using the power of your voice. Now you can listen to Disney Hits or an exclusive podcast like Set It Straight with Midland at work, home, on the commute, while exercising, or doing chores, all by saying the familiar “Hey Siri, play. . . ” to hear the audio you want. Just make sure to update your iPhone to iOS 13 – from there, remember to end each phrase with “on Spotify.”

The Siri integration is also available on our new and improved app for iPad.

Comments
_davidm

It is unbelievably frustrating that Spotify can not be told to search for and play music through Siri. I suspect Apple doesn’t allow this.

However, iOS 12 adds Siri Shortcuts.  My understanding is that there’s nothing to stop Spotify from exposing shortcut actions (e.g. to play albums or playlists) which could then be triggered through Siri. While this still wouldn’t allow anything to be played by voice control, it would still be a huge improvement. 

PLEASE consider this, Spotify. 

cloneyusiang

Hey Spotify, now that iOS 12 has Siri Shortcuts, it's time to change the status of this suggestion! It will be a BIG improvement to my Spotify experience if I could add custom Siri commands to trigger playlists, etc. 

franque

I want to tell Siri to start a Spotify playlist; this would be a killer feature for drivers. The API is now there with Siri Shortcuts, it has never been easier. Do it!

aesterling

This would easily make Spotify my favorite music app. It doesn't seem like it'd be too difficult for Spotify's developers to add, either. Please make this happen.

d-roam

I just want to be able to say, "Hey Siri, play X on Spotify".

... where X could be...

• "the artist _____"
  • "the album _____ by _____"
  • "the song _____ by _____"
  • "my playlist called _____"

And of course, we need basic playback control:

• "Hey Siri, pause Spotify"
  • "Hey Siri, skip track in Spotify"
  • "Hey Siri, previous track in Spotify"

And finally, being able to say basic playback modes would be nice, like:

• "Hey Siri, turn shuffle on/off" (or, just say "on shuffle" at the end of an album/playlist request)
  • "Hey Siri, repeat current track/album/playlist" (or, just say "on repeat" at the end of a track/album/playlist request)

I'd be thrilled to just have those basic controls.

The icing on the cake would be if we could say things like...

• "Hey Siri, add current song to my Spotify library"
  • "Hey Siri, add current song to my Spotify playlist _____"
  • "Hey Siri, go to Spotify radio for the current song"
  • "Hey Siri, play _____ by _____ next" (i.e. "Hey Siri, add ____ by ____ to my queue")
Ivanokhota

Why « not right now » ?!

Siri’s shortcuts were annonced months ago to developper! What are you waiting for?!

Are you broke or just lazy?!

Because I’m getting tired of spotify’s zero improvement policy.

I’m seriously going to consider moving to Apple Music. You’re getting really outdated...

No new design... No new features... No nothing.

Phantis

R.I.P. idea.

TomLegend
Status changed to: Not Right Now

Updated on 2018-12-14

Hey folks, 

We wanted to post an update for this idea.

We’re always working on improving the Spotify experience across platforms, but we’re afraid we don’t have any further information to share at the moment. 

We typically don't announce integrations with third parties in advance. The best place to keep an eye on is our blog for news updates about any such partnerships.

Thanks for continuing to share your ideas and giving us feedback in our Idea Exchange.

Rahoulb

An update to this - Apple has announced that SiriKit will allow audio/media control in iOS 13.  

So there's nothing stopping Spotify from implementing this.  

Of course, Siri Shortcuts (which is much more limited) has now been available for a year and Spotify hasn't implemented that either.  

pressplay

In iOS 13 SiriKit is opened up to 3rd party music apps. Would be great to see Spotify implement this immediately. From Apple’e Website: 

“SiriKit for Audio

Siri can now play music, podcasts, audiobooks, and radio with third-party apps.”

https://www.apple.com/ios/ios-13-preview/features/