Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

iPhone Media Library feature

Spotify desperately needs a Media Library feature so that I can drill down through my library by artist, and then by album. Viewing my starred tracks as one giant 6,000+ song playlist is completely unmanageable. Right now, I'm making playlists of albums to work-around this, but it's obnoxious.

Hello everyone. Spotify here. We've launched the Your Music feature which allows you to sort through your collection by Songs, Artists and Albums. 

We've also added a nifty little feature which allows you to add your Starred list to your Collection. You can find out how to add your Starred list to Your Music here.

Check out our guide on adding songs and artists to Your Music here.

Comments

If you'd like a better way to manage your Spotify albums, I created a free web app that lets you add and browse your albums using a grid interface. There's also a variety of sorting options for you to use.

You can try it out at http://www.spotiorg.com

spotiorg.jpg

Azzabaijan

The iPhone app needs a whole new redesign, hopefully will come out when the iPad app comes out... Which is soon, I hope, please.

samg0rman

The Android app (which is almost exactly the same) desperately needs this too. In fact, the mobile apps need a redesign altogether. They're terrible. 

jb_bryant
I'm desperately needing this as well. It's driving me crazy. My "solution" right now is to make a playlist for every single album. It's terrible. How are we supposed to manage a library with the current setup? The desktop apps have a "Library" section. We desperately need this on the mobile apps as well. I can't believe radio was implemented before that simple feature.
chrisdpeters

I'd agree that I need to be able to browse my local library when using the iPhone. I often only want to listen to songs in my local library to avoid bandwidth fees from Verizon. I don't want to have to search or fish through a long list of songs to find a particular artist or album in the "Local Files" area. The song-oriented organization just doesn't work well there.

Let's think about my situation:

1. I'm driving, so the idea of typing into the search box while driving is frightening. It's much easier in Apple's Music app to use the alphabetical scroll on the right edge to jump to a letter (think "S" for "Stone Temple Pilots") and then flick until I get where I want.

2. I'm running (either outside on the road or inside on the treadmill). I cannot see the small type so well for each individual song while the phone is in my armband on my upper arm. I also want to get to an artist or album quickly in this scenario without staring at my arm and running into something or running off the treadmill. Typing into the search box doesn't work well in this scenario either.

This is one thing that Apple's built-in Music app does well. I know that Spotify is about music in the cloud, but I also need to get to stuff in my local music too if I'm going to replace Music/iTunes with Spotify!

Rocio
Status changed to: Under Consideration

Hello folks,

We have actually passed this idea along and our team is considering it and thinking of the best way to display it. So we are going to mark this as "Under Consideration" We will come back to this when we have news, so keep an eye on this thread.

Thanks for your contribution and feedback, we really appreciate this 😉

maximusmmiv

@Rocio wrote:

Hello folks,

We have actually passed this idea along and our team is considering it and thinking of the best way to display it. So we are going to mark this as "Under Consideration" We will come back to this when we have news, so keep an eye on this thread.

Thanks for your contribution and feedback, we really appreciate this 😉

This is great news!

The way I envision it, it would make the most sense as a toggleable option. Maybe you could add a "View by artist" option under the "..." menu after tapping Starred. Alternatively, it could be implemented as an option to put a checkmark next to in the settings (e.g. "Group starred by aritst" or something like that) so that it's more permenant.

Either way, what I want to see once the option is enabled is a list of all of the artists in my library when I view my starred tracks. Then, when I tap on any given artist, I would like to see a list of albums that I have tracks starred from. Finally, when I tap on any given album, I'd like to see the tracks from that album that I've starred.

Right now, I don't use the Starred playlist at all on my iPhone because there's just way too many tracks in it. I can't find anything in a reasonable amount of time because the phone takes forever to load new tracks as I scroll down through the list. 

indeed

Yeah, definitely agree this is needed. Without this, your iphone music collection essentially becomes the first 30 songs in your offline playlists. There's no way to "browse" my music.

Also: " I often only want to listen to songs in my local library to avoid bandwidth fees from Verizon." Yeah. Search is nice, but only useful if you've memorized what you have offline, especially since unlimited data-plans are disappearing.

Hogie

Please please please add this to the iPhone app.  This is the primary reason I still have Rhapsody.  Take a look at their method of managing your library of music (which is really just all the music that you would have in your library if you were to buy the tracks).  It is often very difficult to find the exact track you are looking for.

maximusmmiv

To any Community Manager... is there any update about this? It was put "under consideration" in September.