Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

[Ads] Ads Filter

I know we can't pick and choose what ads to see, but at least for a teensy bit of decency (especially for people listening to spotify in a professional work environment) can we not have half naked Victoria's Secret super sexy models?

Personally, I could care less about ads. And in fact, I am a woman who shops at Victoria's Secret. Still- I just had an awkward moment with some coworkers AND my boss. I'd like very much for that not to happen again. In the very least, how about an image that isn't half the size of the window? 

I know no one's going to agree, and believe me, I'd be the last person to complain about spotify (it's awesome). But seriously, it's a bit much.

Thanks.

Updated on 2020-12-07

Hi everyone,

Thank you for adding your votes and comments to this idea, we appreciate your patience.

We're just checking in, to confirm we're keeping this set to 'good idea'.

We are working on making ads more personalized, to create better experiences for our users.

Rest assured we're continuing to bring your feedback to the right teams here too.

Comments
mdn

You win, Spotify.  Your ads are too annoying.  I'm buying a subscription.

Berrygirl

I was listening to my Christian playlist with my small children in the room when an ad came up with explicit lyrics and profanity (f-bomb). I will be finding a family safe music service since there isn't a way to protect my children's (or my) ears with Spotify. 😞

I can't believe this is still happening. Spotify does care to even try. I haven't logged in for weeks now, seeing these posts has confirmed I should delete my account to lower the listener metric they use to sell these ads. Bye, Spotify.
bennyg212

There's also an commercial for spotify with the f-word from "the next episode" by Dr. Dre and it just played here at my aquatics center and all the parents and kids heard the bad word. Please change this or we will have to switch to Iheart radio.

llotterman

I work at a school, and the ads have been so inappropriate for children that I'm thinking of switching back to Pandora.  I understand the need to make money through ads, but I don't understand why it is necessary to play such vulgar ads.  I've been a member a long time;  I listen almost every day, but I have been so embarrassed lately by the quality of the ads that are playing.  There are parents and children in and out of my office all day long, and I don't want them to have to listen to Deadpool talk about "fondling balls" or see/hear ads about condoms, bras, lingerie, etc.  Is that too much to ask?  Don't make me switch back to Pandora.  Please!  Do something about this!

irishengineer4

I agree there needs to be a censor option for ads. I am very close to canceling my spotify because one of the ads that is playing has explicit music. If this does not get implimited I will be uninstalling and switching music apps.

markhu

Uninstalled.  My kids don't need this if it can't be configured age-appropriately.

Jeeeyim

I agree with many of the comments requesting some filtering here.  I work with youth at a church and often use a Spotify playlist for meet and greet time with students.  Today while alone at the office an ad for Hardcore Henry came on where S#!% was said plain as day.  Until there is some kind of filtering I can't use this app without being concerned that the ads are going to create unnecessary drama for me.  I'm fine with ads!  I love using Spotify otherwise.  I just need the ads to be appropriate for a younger audience.  

# # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # ## # # # # # # # # # # # # # # #HardcoreHenry

PA17

I don't mind ads either, but in addition to the ads others were talking about, I just had an ad for Plan B pop up and the ad contained several references to sex, and again that is not appropriate. My little sister likes to listen to Spotify and I can't let her listen without myself or one of my other sisters around if I know material such as that will be popping up. Advertising Plan B to someone who is listening almost exclusively to Christian rock music shows that these adversitments are not tailored to the listener since such people tend to be quite against anything hinting at abortion. 

Again, I would appreciate a bit of concern for the content of ads and their effect.

Johnnyellow23

Dearest Spotify,

In the words of our country's great politicians, I must say that "I will never lie to you". Therefore, I ask you to give ear to my complaint. I am a youth pastor that is just trying his dandiest to listen to wholesome, peaceful music in order to bring a little bit more joy into my day. Oh, how wonderful it is to allow my timpanic membrane to be tickled with the sounds of Claude Debussy, André Rieu, and the Royal Philharmonic Orchestra. My mind slips into a state of inimitable solitude, and then, "BUD LIGHT! THE ONLY LIGHT BEER YOU'LL EVER NEED!", "SAM ADAMS SUMMER ALE!" Thank you, Spotify. We clergy have been looking for the easiest way to keep abreast with the latest news regarding the beverage that ruins more lives than Fox ruins superhero franchises, and now we can. Perhaps your response to this will be, "Well, sir, why don't you just upgrade to Spotify Premium?" Ah, yes, Spotify Premium, your exclusive club that I'm constantly reminded of by ads that have found a way to become more annoying than the 25 year old Menard's jingle. I am not going to pay a company money for the sole purpose of avoiding offensive, and personally irrelevant ads. Many other large companies have found it to be a common courtesy to filter the ads that can be found on their sites according to the preferences and beliefs of their customers. Why does your company refuse to do the same? Posts like my own here can be found from as far back as 2012, and yet nothing has been done. Please allow me to speak on behalf of countless others when I say, "Fix it." Yes, I am angry, and if Jesus can fashion a scourge from tree branches and overturn the money changers' tables in the temple, then I can surely voice my disgust with your Victoria's Secret, alcohol-infused advertisements.

Signed,

An offended Johnnyellow23