Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

FAQs

Please see below the most popular frequently asked questions.

Loading article...

Loading faqs...

Ongoing Issues

Please see below the current ongoing issues which are under investigation.

Loading issue...

Loading ongoing issues...

[All Platforms] Option to have a true shuffle

So I’ve been noticing more and more recently that Spotify’s default shuffle feature doesn’t fully shuffle your songs. It does some sort of grouping to try to get similar songs together based off of what I’m sure is dozens of factors. Every time I shuffle a playlist (the one I noticed this with the most is ~100 songs and 6 hours of mostly full albums) it will group the songs mostly or completely together by album/artist, and given the number of times I’ve re-shuffled and checked the order there’s no way it’s just a coincidence. They also generally seem to be in the same order as well. If I hit shuffle play on a playlist it’ll generally put the same artists at the beginning every time.

With larger playlists of albums I am really not a fan of this shuffling method. If I have 6 hours of music on a playlist I will hardly ever have 6 hours to actually listen through the whole thing, but when I do listen to it I would like to hear all of the music on it equally, and not just the artist or two your algorithm likes to shuffle to first.

Anyways, I’m a reasonable man, all I’m asking for is an option to have a true shuffle (take all songs in the list, put them in a random order, and once they’re all played reshuffle them and play them again). Make it premium only if you want. I don’t think you should scrap the current shuffle algorithm because it sucks. Looking at some of the suggestions on here it seems like some people lobbied hard to have it that way. Just add an option for a true shuffle for those of us that don’t care about potentially getting the same song twice in a row.

Updated on 2024-05-01

Hello everyone, 

Thank you for your continued engagement and valuable feedback on this idea. 

I'm afraid there hasn't been any change on the status of this idea since our last update. However, we've been reading all your comments and feedback which have been incredibly insightful. 

We’ll keep you folks posted as soon as we have any new info to share.

Comments
rozeboosje

Yes I noticed that the apps don't work equally well on every platform, too. With Apple Music I had to give up because it took me through a process of setting up a so-called "Apple ID" and that took me through an infinite loop of choices where it kept coming back to the same pages. I don't own Apple hardware but surely they can make something as basic as setting up one's credentials work on other platforms? Maybe not.

Amazon is grand but you're right, not all functionality works on every platform. Owning an android device and a PC that's no big deal for me. I can add new songs to playlists through my phone and randomise my playlist through my PC if I wish. If you only have or prefer to use only one device though I can see how that might become a deal breaker.

Slip269

Thinking about it,  the add/remove songs option was working fine when I first installed the Amazon Xbox app,  this was on the basic free ad based subscription.

When I upgraded to the Trial "Unlimited" account the option to add/remove songs disappeared which seems a bit bizarre.

I'll post on the Amazon forums, but I'm not holding out much hope, they seem to answer every post but without an actual solution, so not much better than here 😂

fraktalisman

Conclusion: Spotify is just good enough to suck less than other music services and most radio stations, so they've got their marketing priorities right: make the platform worse and annoy customers to see how much they are willing to take. Sad!

Rafa14_Ninjago

Suggestions based on mood or time of day.

frogcant

I find it insane i’m paying almost $20 a month to listen to the same 20 songs on repeat. It’s so discoursing to know that there’s no good platform out there to listen to music, everyone just wants to upcharge. 

rozeboosje

Yes it is insane to keep paying Spotify. You're absolutely right.

Darth_GTB

@frogcant, if you can't move to another platform for now, at least move to the free tier. You will continue to be fed a terrible algorithm, but at least you are not paying for it

rednblu

>>  … $20 a month to listen to the same 20 songs on repeat.

I’m sure one of my family accounts is planning to switch to whatever hardware and software you are using just to drive me crazy--- Are you using Linux 1.0.23 perchance?

Thanks

zx6dude

Depending where you live, there are plenty of alternatives to Spotify... 

Amazon Music

YouTube Music 

Apple Music

Tidal

Deezer

There are more. Most offer trial periods, so you get the chance to try before you buy. 

Paying Greedify is not something I do anymore, if you want proper shuffle, you shouldn't either.

Greedify do not deserve anyone's loyalty. They care nothing about their customers, all they care about is making money. 

Slip269

As to regards the Amazon Xbox app not being able to add/remove songs to playlists or like/dislike songs which is kind of a big part of using the app, I got this response from the customer support agent.

I've got a 4 month trial so will stick with it, the audio quality is very good, as for creating/editing playlists I'll have to use my android phone for now which is no big deal, at least the shuffle works 😄

Not sure why a company the size of amazon hasn't put more effort in to the apps, there's a lot of inconsistency between the desktop app/android and xbox apps. No consistency to the experience what so ever.

Screenshot 2024-09-27 211615.png