Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

[All Platforms] Option to have a true shuffle

So I’ve been noticing more and more recently that Spotify’s default shuffle feature doesn’t fully shuffle your songs. It does some sort of grouping to try to get similar songs together based off of what I’m sure is dozens of factors. Every time I shuffle a playlist (the one I noticed this with the most is ~100 songs and 6 hours of mostly full albums) it will group the songs mostly or completely together by album/artist, and given the number of times I’ve re-shuffled and checked the order there’s no way it’s just a coincidence. They also generally seem to be in the same order as well. If I hit shuffle play on a playlist it’ll generally put the same artists at the beginning every time.

With larger playlists of albums I am really not a fan of this shuffling method. If I have 6 hours of music on a playlist I will hardly ever have 6 hours to actually listen through the whole thing, but when I do listen to it I would like to hear all of the music on it equally, and not just the artist or two your algorithm likes to shuffle to first.

Anyways, I’m a reasonable man, all I’m asking for is an option to have a true shuffle (take all songs in the list, put them in a random order, and once they’re all played reshuffle them and play them again). Make it premium only if you want. I don’t think you should scrap the current shuffle algorithm because it sucks. Looking at some of the suggestions on here it seems like some people lobbied hard to have it that way. Just add an option for a true shuffle for those of us that don’t care about potentially getting the same song twice in a row.

Updated on 2024-05-01

Hello everyone, 

Thank you for your continued engagement and valuable feedback on this idea. 

I'm afraid there hasn't been any change on the status of this idea since our last update. However, we've been reading all your comments and feedback which have been incredibly insightful. 

We’ll keep you folks posted as soon as we have any new info to share.

Comments
TurboDiverArt

OK, turned off Automix in settings/playback and cleared the cache.  Gonna give that a go to see what happens.  I have a 6-hour trip and a playlist that's got 62 hours of music on it (1000+ songs).  Gonna try shuffle with "smart mix" off to see how it goes.  I've listened to the same group of songs from this play list so many times that it'll become pretty apparent to me if the same songs are still being played.  While a complete failure and still unacceptable, if doing the above things and clearing the cache from time to time at least picks a different 150 songs I won't want to pull my hair out.  Still need to do more research if Apple Music's shuffle is any better cause money wise it's cheaper to get the Apple family bundle with music and TV than it is to have just apple TV plus Spotify family.  I'd like to say that Spotify would actually take this thread seriously and fix shuffle or add a randomize if people start to leave the platform but it's very clear Spotify doesn't monitor its forums or customer complaints and really doesn't care.

zx6dude

Bye, bye Spotify. I wish I could say it has been a pleasure, but it really hasn't.

For a music streaming service, you end up repeating songs so much, that there artists that I used to like, but now I'm fed up with. 

Off to another provider,  hoping for a better experience. It would be difficult to be worse. 

TurboDiverArt

OK, I've been listening to the same playlist for the past 14 hours and I'm surprised to say I don't think I have heard a duplicate yet.  Additionally, I definitely heard songs from this list that I have not heard in a very long time.  I think the trick was turning off AutoMix and clearing the cache.  I think the issue is actually the cache.  I'm monitoring the cache, I currently have 650Mb in cache from the 14 hours of listening and have 200Mb "free", whatever that means.  My hypothesis is that once I fill my cache and have zero "free" that it will begin to repeat songs and not pull any new ones.  If this is the case I'll clear the cache again and see what it does.

rednblu

I find that Spotify shuffle works fine for me as long as I don't do anything that breaks the shuffle.  For example, a reboot of any shuffling device triggers a repeat of the last Shuffle on that device with every track repeated in the exact order of the last successful Shuffle.

Any Spotify engineer can repeat this severe design bug by 1) shuffling a five-track playlist-- for convenience in watching the design bug in totality, 2) then step through the resulting shuffled queue. As you can see, the tracks left in the queue reduce as expected.  And 3) there you have it-- This design bug causes the queue to refill with all the repeats in the same order as the last successful Spotify shuffle.

Consequently, the user has to do a manual "initialize" before each reShuffle.  As expected in Spotify, the users themselves have to figure it out and make it work correctly.

luciano9429

I've had automix deactivated for months and I've periodically cleared the cache and nothing has changed, I always hear the same songs. The situation has gotten worse now that they are Premium, it happens less in the free version

TurboDiverArt

You don't have "smart mix" on, do you?  This definitely does stupid stuff as well.  So far, at least 15 hours in and no dups.

rednblu

>> I always hear the same songs.

On your desktop Spotify player, what happens if you watch your queue when you toggle Ctrl-S, Ctrl-S several times after you start the play on the third track of a five-track playlist?--- Do the last four tracks on your queue actually change position, or are the last four tracks permanently stuck in position?

It's not fair that the Spotify users have to do these repeated diagnostics, I know-- But I have to do several diagnostics and fixes about every ten days-- or the Shuffle gets frozen in frustrating repeat loops that make me really angry if I cannot outwit this buggy Spotify shuffle.  So far I have always finally won-- Kind of like a hypnotizing video game, for me-- sigh.

Darth_GTB

BTW, yesterday I started getting music that isn't in my playlist when playing in shuffle mode. It's not even from a genre I listen to. I hope this is just a bug and not an ad in disguise

TurboDiverArt

<<BTW, yesterday I started getting music that isn't in my playlist when playing in shuffle mode. It's not even from a genre I listen to. I hope this is just a bug and not an ad in disguise>>

You don't have SmartMix or AutoMix on, do you?  I think at least one of these adds suggested songs to your play list.

luciano9429

Now I'm trying, I kept the smartix activated because I also like to listen to recommended music but not always the same ones. If these functions, including automix, don't work, what's the point of keeping them active?