Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

[All Platforms] Option to have a true shuffle

So I’ve been noticing more and more recently that Spotify’s default shuffle feature doesn’t fully shuffle your songs. It does some sort of grouping to try to get similar songs together based off of what I’m sure is dozens of factors. Every time I shuffle a playlist (the one I noticed this with the most is ~100 songs and 6 hours of mostly full albums) it will group the songs mostly or completely together by album/artist, and given the number of times I’ve re-shuffled and checked the order there’s no way it’s just a coincidence. They also generally seem to be in the same order as well. If I hit shuffle play on a playlist it’ll generally put the same artists at the beginning every time.

With larger playlists of albums I am really not a fan of this shuffling method. If I have 6 hours of music on a playlist I will hardly ever have 6 hours to actually listen through the whole thing, but when I do listen to it I would like to hear all of the music on it equally, and not just the artist or two your algorithm likes to shuffle to first.

Anyways, I’m a reasonable man, all I’m asking for is an option to have a true shuffle (take all songs in the list, put them in a random order, and once they’re all played reshuffle them and play them again). Make it premium only if you want. I don’t think you should scrap the current shuffle algorithm because it sucks. Looking at some of the suggestions on here it seems like some people lobbied hard to have it that way. Just add an option for a true shuffle for those of us that don’t care about potentially getting the same song twice in a row.

Updated on 2024-05-01

Hello everyone, 

Thank you for your continued engagement and valuable feedback on this idea. 

I'm afraid there hasn't been any change on the status of this idea since our last update. However, we've been reading all your comments and feedback which have been incredibly insightful. 

We’ll keep you folks posted as soon as we have any new info to share.

Comments
TurboDiverArt

Agree, that's why I turn them off.  If they had a true shuffle or randomize that worked I would leave them on but I suspect they compound the problem.

luciano9429

Sure, but we have to pay the premium to have these long-proven inefficiencies

Darth_GTB

> You don't have SmartMix or AutoMix on, do you? I think at least one of these adds suggested songs to your play list.

- Automix label says the following: _Allow seamless transitions between songs on selected playlists_. This doesn't imply it will insert suggested, completely unrelated songs to the playlist. But I will turn it off and check if it helps

- SmartMix doesn't show up in the Playback settings.

There is another one: Autoplay similar content. But if I understood well, this one would play same genre as playlist average. The songs I've been getting seem to be just popular songs in my country instead of songs that I would actually like, let alone similar to the playlist

OurPodfather
Status changed to: Live Idea

Updated on 2024-05-01

Hello everyone, 

Thank you for your continued engagement and valuable feedback on this idea. 

I'm afraid there hasn't been any change on the status of this idea since our last update. However, we've been reading all your comments and feedback which have been incredibly insightful. 

We’ll keep you folks posted as soon as we have any new info to share.

rozeboosje

Please don't insult people's intelligence. This is NOT a hard problem to solve, so when you say you've "been reading all [the] comments" what did you do after reading them, have a little giggle amongst yourselves at the expense of the poor unfortunates who kept throwing their good money after bad in the vain hope that you'd get your finger out and actually address this problem?

TurboDiverArt

Completely a canned response.  Notice no reference to the actual topic at hand.  Either a secretary or bot responding.  Actually a bot would have been smarter...  If I can't get shuffle working with clearing the cache I'm switching to Apple Music.  If after 5 years nothing has changed it's pretty clear that working on it and reading posts for another 5 years isn't going to change anything.

Undeterred

Thanks so much for letting us paying users know you're listening.

But what are you actually going to DO ABOUT IT???
Sort your shït out Spotify because you ain't the only platform in town anymore. ǺŠŠĤŎĹĔŜ

TurboDiverArt

I think I liked it better when they were outwardly ignoring us, a canned response kind of pisses me off.

zx6dude

Thanks for the insult Spotify. The canned response is even more insulting then being ignored. 

Certainly doesn't make me regret going to another provider. 

RICARDO448

This is not a new idea.....the question is why won't Spotify create a shuffle of our music list. This complaint/suggestion has been going on for YEARS! Tell us the real reason you are not doing this.