Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

FAQs

Please see below the most popular frequently asked questions.

Loading article...

Loading faqs...

Ongoing Issues

Please see below the current ongoing issues which are under investigation.

Loading issue...

Loading ongoing issues...

[All Platforms] Option to have a true shuffle

So I’ve been noticing more and more recently that Spotify’s default shuffle feature doesn’t fully shuffle your songs. It does some sort of grouping to try to get similar songs together based off of what I’m sure is dozens of factors. Every time I shuffle a playlist (the one I noticed this with the most is ~100 songs and 6 hours of mostly full albums) it will group the songs mostly or completely together by album/artist, and given the number of times I’ve re-shuffled and checked the order there’s no way it’s just a coincidence. They also generally seem to be in the same order as well. If I hit shuffle play on a playlist it’ll generally put the same artists at the beginning every time.

With larger playlists of albums I am really not a fan of this shuffling method. If I have 6 hours of music on a playlist I will hardly ever have 6 hours to actually listen through the whole thing, but when I do listen to it I would like to hear all of the music on it equally, and not just the artist or two your algorithm likes to shuffle to first.

Anyways, I’m a reasonable man, all I’m asking for is an option to have a true shuffle (take all songs in the list, put them in a random order, and once they’re all played reshuffle them and play them again). Make it premium only if you want. I don’t think you should scrap the current shuffle algorithm because it sucks. Looking at some of the suggestions on here it seems like some people lobbied hard to have it that way. Just add an option for a true shuffle for those of us that don’t care about potentially getting the same song twice in a row.

Updated on 2024-05-01

Hello everyone, 

Thank you for your continued engagement and valuable feedback on this idea. 

I'm afraid there hasn't been any change on the status of this idea since our last update. However, we've been reading all your comments and feedback which have been incredibly insightful. 

We’ll keep you folks posted as soon as we have any new info to share.

Comments
rozeboosje

"For free"

As we say in the Netherlands: "voor niks gaat de zon op". I still suspect that some other "free" offerings are better than Spotify but I can't imagine any of them are acceptable if you really want to enjoy music. Maybe if you rip your CD collection and use Plex or something .... I tried that but it doesn't work terribly well. But the shuffle is acceptably random. At least there's that.

Anwynnr

Unfortunately for my work crew and I, Spotify is the most convenient music streaming service AT THIS TIME for a joint playlist, where not everyone has to have premium to contribute. Having a joint playlist is great and all, EXCEPT that a good 40% of the songs never play. I don’t know what kind of stupid algorithm Spotify sets on their shuffle, but it’s ridiculous. We don’t want to hear the same songs every single time we play this playlist. It completely defeats the purpose. If i find out Apple Music has a collab option, i will be paying for a service to transfer my music back to Apple Music (had it before and loved it). I hear about this every day at work “god, this song again?” I shouldn’t have to play DJ on the queue, that’s what the shuffle is for. This is a common complaint and y’all don’t fix anything. 

rozeboosje

I'm not sure what the limitations are but myself, my wife and my daughter are on an Amazon Music family plan. Would that be an option for you and your work crew?

DaRoadsCallin

As a truck driver I have my playlist that I love listening to that contain anywhere from 100 songs to 1,000. When using the shuffle button I am very disappointed that I continue to hear the same songs over and over again without hitting on the other songs that are in my list. The live shuffle idea would be amazing.

Mookpsu
Switch to Amazon Music, you will get exactly what you are looking for
Sombat

How many years have we been asking for this? What the **bleep** is the issue? Why is this so complicated? Seriously, all my playlists keep playing the same 10 songs over and over. Sometimes even playing the same song just after I heard it. FIX THIS ISSUE ALREADY!!!

joe68w

I think they are solving this by REMOVING song from playlists. I say it in jest but I constantly notice songs that I know were in my playlist come up with the option to add them because they are not on there. If I click on who the playlist is shared with (and I’m using smart shuffle) Spotify comes up as a contributor to the list and then Spotify takes credit for adding any song they recommended and I added even though those songs were on my playlist at one point. Not sure why they need to track that statistic unless they are monetizing it which would make sense as to why they keep removing songs from my playlists.

Undeterred
Good luck, Spotify don’t give a fųck; they already have your money.
Grande7

As spotify has grown from being $0.99 to over $9.99 they have added some great features, but this is not one of them. The software was a true shuffle in it's early days. How on earth would this be a good idea? The most frustrating thing i've experienced with Spotify besides the music randomly pausing bug that seems to have been resolved. WE WANT A TRUE SHUFFLE. WE WANT TO CHOOSE OUR OWN MUSIC, THAT'S WHY WE PAY. IF WE WANTED YOU TO CHOOSE, WE WOULDN'T PAY!

Undeterred

Good luck, $potify don’t give a f··k; they already have your money. Why would they change anything while people keep paying? Why wouldn't they just jack the price? Oh wait, they already have... $POTIFY > ¢ustomers ???