Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

[All Platforms] Remember Position in Playlist / Album

Please remember the current song playing in a playlist so if I switch away to a different playlist and then switch back, Spotify will know where I left off.

I often can't finish a playlist right away or my mood changes so I might switch to a different playlist. Later, I want to finish the previous playlist, not start over again.

Updated on 2023-03-27

Hey everyone,

This idea accidentally ended up in the wrong board, so we're moving it back here. 

We're keeping the Not Right Now status as we don't have any immediate plans to implement this. As soon as we have any new information to share, rest assured we'll check back in here.

Take care.

Comments
Dfsoto

I just noticed that if you go to the Spotify website there is a new thing called: "pick up where you left off" where they list your most recent played albums and playlists. When you click on the album it takes you to the player to the last song you were playing. Does not seem to be working with playlists. 

bugujr
"Pick up where you left off" is exactly the feature that should be
performing this very task of "picking up where you left off." Including
playlists! It's odd to me why this isn't clicking for the folks at Spotify.
jumoke1
Thanks for responding. Much appreciated. Yeah, I get that. Spotify really need to sort out the option of a bookmark on any playlist. It seems this has been a convo request that has been raging for years. It’s pretty basic.
Andrea54

Wichtiger Punkt besonders bei Hörbüchern, oder Klassischer Musik, wo die Titelnamen so lang sind (Nennung des Albums, Komponisten, Verzeichnis vorweg ist doof und sehr unpraktisch!!!).

sollte unbedingt implementiert werden!

Gruß

Andrea (pomponhuty) -Premiumnutzer

bugujr

I Contacted Spotify Support on this idea - See Chat Trascript Below

They said expect an official answer on this idea in 24 hours as they will contact their "special advisors" about us not hearing back from them in over 2 years. Also I'll be posting on the SpotifyCares FB page as apparently we'll be heard there as well. Feel free to link to this idea and post on their FB and Twitter so we are heard. 

https://www.facebook.com/SpotifyCares/

Chat Info at 12:20, Sep 29:
Lack of support

bugujr at 12:20, Sep 29:
Hi xxxxx

Spotify at 12:20, Sep 29:
Hi, how may I help you?

bugujr at 12:22, Sep 29:
So the point of posting Live ideas onto Spotify Community is so that after it's been marked a good idea, we will hear back from Spotify on whether it will be worked on or not. Or at least some sort of update. Correct?

bugujr at 12:22, Sep 29:
There's an idea that's been getting a lot of outrage because no one from Spotify support has even responded with an update for over two years now.

Spotify at 12:23, Sep 29:
Apologies for that.

bugujr at 12:23, Sep 29:
It has over 530 votes, and it was marked a good idea on 04-14-2015. And there are countless of comments asking for an update, with 0 responses for that amount of time.

This is the idea:

Spotify at 12:23, Sep 29:
May I know what your idea is about?

https://community.spotify.com/t5/Live-Ideas/Remember-current-song-in-Playlist-Album/idc-p/2297837#M1...

"Remember current song in Playlist / Album"

bugujr at 12:24, Sep 29:
I'm not the author, but one of the supporters. I've been getting emails and following it, and there are so many people asking for an update and supporting it (14 pages worth), but no answer from Spotify yet.

bugujr at 12:25, Sep 29:
As customers, we expect some level of support and updates that ensure we are being heard. I urge someone to from Spotify to reply with an official response on what's been done about the idea. If there's is any progress at all? If it's getting through the proper channels to even be considered? Something.

bugujr at 12:26, Sep 29:
It's a very basic solution to a very real problem.

Spotify at 12:26, Sep 29:
Thanks for letting me know about it.

bugujr at 12:27, Sep 29:
"Pick up where you left off" should handle this, but it doesn't.

But please have the proper folks answer your customers back with an official response about what's being done about it.

Spotify at 12:27, Sep 29:
I'll be sure to have this feedback looked up.

Thanks. When should we expect to hear back?

Spotify at 12:27, Sep 29:
I really apologize for the non-response.

bugujr at 12:28, Sep 29:
I don't want our cry for help to go unheard again.

Spotify at 12:28, Sep 29:
Let me check for options.

bugujr at 12:29, Sep 29:
Okay thanks - I appreciate it

Spotify at 12:30, Sep 29:
I'm still working on this. Please bear with me a little bit longer, and stay on this screen so we don't get disconnected.

bugujr at 12:30, Sep 29:
I won't leave. Thanks!

Spotify at 12:31, Sep 29:
Please bear with me 🙂

bugujr at 12:31, Sep 29:
Yup!

Spotify at 12:33, Sep 29:
Thanks for waiting.

bugujr at 12:33, Sep 29:
Sure

Another option would be is to post this to our Facebook page.

Please search for Spotify Cares page on Facebook.

bugujr at 12:34, Sep 29:
That will go unheard as well. I mean I'm speaking to Spotify now? Why can't you pass it forth the proper channels?

bugujr at 12:34, Sep 29:
It shouldn't be this difficult to be heard in over 2 years on a Spotify "Communities" page that serves the purpose of being heard by Spotify.

Spotify at 12:35, Sep 29:
There will be moderators who can accommodate your feature request.

bugujr at 12:35, Sep 29:
Support should be the right channel. Posting on their FB page - may or may not be heard.

bugujr at 12:35, Sep 29:
Moderators on the Communities page or FB page?

Spotify at 12:36, Sep 29:
Om the FB page.

bugujr at 12:36, Sep 29:
Why can't management be notified now that that idea should be looked at by the moderators?

You have not tried that route yet.

bugujr at 12:36, Sep 29:
It's up to me now again?...

I assure you it would be heard 🙂

bugujr at 12:37, Sep 29:
So there's nothing you can do from your end?

Spotify at 12:37, Sep 29:
I can send an email to our specialty advisors about it.

Spotify at 12:38, Sep 29:
I will note that you have not received any response for 2 years.

bugujr at 12:38, Sep 29:
Please do as this isn't right.

Spotify at 12:38, Sep 29:
Please expect a response from them within 24 hours.

Spotify at 12:39, Sep 29:
I will also give them the exact link you've given.

bugujr at 12:39, Sep 29:
On the idea page correct?

Spotify at 12:39, Sep 29:
Yes, that's right.

Okay - will take your word for it! I appreciate you sending word to the proper folks. We'll be waiting...

Much appreciated.

Spotify at 12:40, Sep 29:
You're welcome! Anything else that I can help you with?

bugujr at 12:40, Sep 29:
That'll be all. Just please ensure to note, that moderators need to do a better job at ensuring customers are being heard and updated reasonably.

bugujr at 12:41, Sep 29:
Thanks - I'll be posting on the FB page as well.

bugujr at 12:41, Sep 29:
Do you have a direct link to that?

Spotify at 12:41, Sep 29:
Yes, I will. Thank you for chatting with me today, bugujr. Have a good one!

Spotify at 12:41, Sep 29:
Let me see.

Spotify at 12:43, Sep 29:
Here it is: https://www.facebook.com/SpotifyCares/.

bugujr at 12:44, Sep 29:
Okay - thank you! Please email the specialty advisors and I'll post on the FB page.

Spotify at 12:44, Sep 29:
Sure, I will. Bye now!

bugujr at 12:45, Sep 29:
Bye!

Please email the chat history to me

Spotify at 12:45, Sep 29:
Please request it after our chat.

ok - will do!

Zonenfeile

Good idea

I don't use FB but that might work.

Again

Offering Audio books is one thing

Using it a different one.

Audio books need a seperate menue!

When musik is heard: switch to "Music" menue

same switch back to audiobook (to the last stop)  again

Searching books in catagorys needed

One klick to author and content

Do not list all files of the book

Noone is interested in downloading / listening to file 135 of 250 

Only one klick for download the complete book.

Simple

Go on

Best regards from Hamburg

GoodIdea

Please add this. Netflix has it. This is a must...

bugujr

Update to my last post:

Here's what I heard back from Spotify on both email and the FB page. So literally doesn't seem they even want to provide an update on the forum. But this idea would move to be need to be around 1500-2000 votes to be "Under Consideration" for implementation. So I guess we need a TON more votes - ridiculous! 

What boggles my mind is that even if an idea with 200 votes, doesn't mean the idea is not essential at it's core and should be seriously considered if it provides a very basic and real capability. So it seems to be it may not even be on their radar if they rely on the just the amount of votes for the idea to be put on the docket.

First email response from Spotify:

Thanks for getting in touch. We understand you want to get an update regarding your an idea posted in our community. We're here to explain how it works.

We thought we would take a minute to elaborate on how the ideas exchange area of the community works. You may have noticed we receive a lot of ideas for ways to make Spotify even better. Each month we receive dozens, and sometimes hundreds, a lot ideas. To treat the most popular ideas fairly, we've implemented a voting system using the Kudos button. This way, the community can vote on the best ideas by giving Kudos.

When this idea reached 100 votes, the status was already changed to Good Idea, Vote for it. This means that this idea is still in the voting phase and we need more people to vote for the idea so it will be passed on the next part of the process.

After an idea is "Under Consideration" the next status might be "Watch this space" which means the idea will reach conclusion soon so the next step will be to announce the improvement once it has been completed or passed over for future review. Obviously, the final status will be either "Case Closed" or "Implemented" (we love getting to do this second one!). Then of course, we come back to the ones which have not been implemented when we have news.

So we suggest that you promote the idea and have more votes and kudos so it can be considered. We're also excited on how this idea will be requested by more Spotifyusers and we really need cooperation of users like you so we can continue to strive for better features of the app.

Let us know if you have other questions.
All the best,
xxx
Spotify Customer Support

My email response:

Okay. Thanks for explaining.

But this idea has 532 votes, but still under "Good idea, vote for it" status. When does it become under consideration?

There should be moderators that provides some sort of update. This idea has been open for 2 years and everyone is pleading for an update of what is going on about it. We should be hearing back especially with an idea with so many votes. I understand you won't be responding to ideas in it's beginning phases with 5 votes or the like. But a popular idea such as this with being open for so long, with no update, it's very a lack of customer care.

How many more votes are needed to hear something back?

Second Spotify email response:

Thanks for getting back.

We know that your idea actually has received a good number of votes, however we still need more people to vote for your idea in order for it to be considered to be implemented. We're looking at a number close to 1,500 to 2000. Please remember, we have millions of Spotify users.

Hope this answers your questions. If you need anything else, please let us know.

Regards,
xxx
Spotify Customer Support

FB SpotifyCares response:

Hey there! We're afraid we don’t have any info on this right now. Don't worry, we're keeping a close watch on our Community to make sure feedback is passed on to the relevant folks. If you have any other questions, you can get in touch with us here: https://www.facebook.com/SpotifyCares-227973660732160/

bugujr

Continuation from my last email:

My response to Spotify email above:

1500-2000 votes to be "Under Consideration" for implementation? So I guess we need a TON more votes to be heard? Voting doesn't necessarily coincide with importance. You cannot just rely on the voting system for functionality requests to be considered. If you provide a platform for ideas to be heard, then there should be some sort of peer review that with the respective Spotify development team that occurs to evaluate the "importance" of that functionality. At the very basic level, this idea is honestly important. Not just based on my opinion, but from the hundreds of users that signed up into Spotify Community and decided to share their agreement. There might be millions of users in Spotify, but a SMALL percentage that would actually take it far enough to participate in reviewing ideas in the Community site and vote/comment on their support.

If an idea has 200 votes, it doesn't mean the idea is not essential at it's core. The idea should be seriously considered if it provides a very basic and real capability. So it seems to be it may not even be on your radar if they rely on the just the amount of votes for the idea to be put on the docket. It's a flawed system.

Also I would argue this is a bug. You have already functionality in the app to "pick up where you left off." But it doesn't do that. I should be able to "pick up where I left off" if I was listening to a playlist correct? I should have to re-listen to every song that I already did, because many of us listen to songs on shuffle especially. You cannot assume we will listen to the playlist in order, mark what number we were on, then come back and continue. "Pick up where you left off" doesn't work as it needs to be.

Honestly do something about this.

IWantSunshine

Yes, this is a brilliant idea! Please make Spotify remember the position withing playlists, artist/song radios etc.