Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

[All Platforms] Remember Position in Playlist / Album

Please remember the current song playing in a playlist so if I switch away to a different playlist and then switch back, Spotify will know where I left off.

I often can't finish a playlist right away or my mood changes so I might switch to a different playlist. Later, I want to finish the previous playlist, not start over again.

Updated on 2023-03-27

Hey everyone,

This idea accidentally ended up in the wrong board, so we're moving it back here. 

We're keeping the Not Right Now status as we don't have any immediate plans to implement this. As soon as we have any new information to share, rest assured we'll check back in here.

Take care.

Comments
stpraet

I am new to Spotify (free trial currently) and noticed immediately this flaw. First of all I was VERY surprised this function is not there.  (Does Spotify believe we stick to 1 playlist at a time and wait until we finish it ??)  I fear this deficiency will be a very good reason not to convert my trial into a subscription.  I will surely first try out some other streaming services.

Krabz1

Very frustrating - I listen to long form audio over a period of time, and its pretty frustrating that if I skip away from the track at any point, I need to re-start and re-figure out exactly where I was. As someone who is currently debating whether or not I should pay for premium, this feature would make that choice VERY easy. Spotify is very close to being a great medium for podcasts and audiobooks (including audiobooks I have on my computer and have brought into Spotify). This would tip the scale into it being the best service out there.

JJTvH

I listen to different music at home or when I am at work. At the moment the playlist I use in the office is continued when I open Spotify on my devices at home...

You should have the option to freeze a playlist on a device or something like that.

lj3692

I road trip a lot and would love this feature for the 12hr playlist! Being 6 hours deep and the  listening to a different album/playlist makes it difficult to “resume” the 12hr playlist since you’re now hearing songs you just heard. WOULD LOVE THIS FEATURE!

dnls

Same as everyone, I am running into this 'missing feature' issue (actually a rather basic feature).

Like many, I have long playlists, ordered in particular ways, in some cases audiobooks: I wish "to continue", not "to re-start". At the moment, the only option is to remember the last-played track somehow, manually look for it in the playlist and then click on the next track. This is very clunky, and I often don't know the last track played. Also, if using voice commands, Google/Apple Home will always use "re-start". This has actually ruined many first tracks (in playlists) as I have heard them way too often now due to the Spotify design ("oh no, that one again..."). I would simply like to "resume from wherever we left off" in the playlist.

Winamp can do, iTunes/Apple Music can do, Plex can do, Netflix can do... Spotify cannot?!

Design suggestion: have a "play" button and a "continue" button next to it.

JackpotRog

This is my biggest problem with Spotify and the additional use of Spotify for podcasts makes it even worse.

Tatenai_Ben_Busi

I'd really like this feature, please implement it asap!!!

Matengor

I use Spotify for listening to audio books and music. When I interrupt an audio book to switch to music, I would like to be able to got back to that specific chapter, or vice versa if I was listening to an album or a curated playlist. Some kind of bookmarking option would be really great.

Marusuerka

Still nothing? I'm amazed that such a shortcoming still hasn't been addressed. Yet this is nothing complicated and would make everything so much easier. I have a whole page in my diary where I'm constantly transcribing numbers and track names to know where I left off on different playlists. Is it 2023 for Spotify? 🙄

RMH1
Still nothing and I have officially given up on Spotify

rick