Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

[Amazon Alexa] Swap Spotify accounts without changing Alexa account

I have a Spotify Family account for myself and my wife

I have an alexa unit in every room, every unit is using MY amazon account as all the lights and home automation can only be setup on one Amazon account

I want to play Spotify in the room i’m in

My wife wants to play her music in a different room

Both myself and my wife also want to use the home automation whilst playing music, eg, turning on the lights

This can be done using Apple music and Amazon music but Spotify require to swap to a different spotify account for the other person

To swap to a different spotify account means changing the Alexa profile of the alexa device and then all the home automation no longer works from that device. 

Please can you allow both myself and my wife to play music in different rooms WITHOUT having to change the Amazon Alexa account

It would be great if I could say ‘Alexa, play spotify from Trevors account’ and my wife could say in a different room, at the same time, ‘Alexa, play spotify from Jackie’s account’ 

This is not a duplicate of other suggestions, I’ve checked and anything close was raised before the ability to swap alexa accounts was implemented. Swapping alexa accounts is only a work around and is not a solution to this problem.

Many people want this feature and your chat team said I should raise it here

Here is a link to the forum, lots of people are leaving spotify because only spotify do not support this feature, you guys need to catch up

https://community.spotify.com/t5/Premium-for-Family/FAMILY-AND-ECHO-ALEXA/m-p/4900618#M26242

From my research it seems there is talk about Spotify only has one concurrent music stream whereas Apple and Amazon music have multiple streams, but please can you improve on this, the thread above was started over 18 months ago, something should be done to improve on this issue

Again, please don’t write this off as a duplicate and do nothing/say it relates to a 3rd party, people still want this feature

Thanks

Trevor Rowe

19/2/2021

Folks, just a quick update on this.

Spotify say this

The Community team talks with various other Spotify teams several times a month about ideas with over 500 votes (our criteria for being a top idea). It’s from these meetings that we apply one of the following statuses to each idea….

This idea has reached over 500 votes so I asked on chat for timescales/what will happen next and was told to keep an eye on this thread.

That really sounded open ended!

As the person on chat could only deal with app and account queries, I was told to also contact the support team to get action on this

So as well as voting for this issue (please continue), 

Spotify need to keep up with Apple and Amazon and fix this issue - with your help we might just get this solved!

Updated on 2021-06-15

Hey everyone,

Thanks for bringing us your feedback in the Spotify Idea Exchange.

Your suggestion has gathered the votes necessary and your feedback is now reaching the internal teams at Spotify. They're aware of the vote count and popularity of this idea. We'll continue to monitor and check out the comments here, too.

As soon as we have any updates on its status, we'll let you know.

More info on how your feedback reaches Spotify via the Idea Exchange can be found here.

Comments
sdmcgeown

Hi @GoodyGizmos,

Nice, detailed use case. I see that Spotify immediately closed it because they claim it failed to meet their criteria of one idea per exchange - even though I don't think it did. Honestly, they're really showing that they just don't give a hoot to what their customers are clearly clamoring for.

sdeftink

This is a make or break deal for us as well. Just started a subscription to do some testing with plans to move to duo or family if this worked. Knowing it doesn’t means we’ll likely go to Apple Music or Amazon Music. 

stephan1827

I would also like to switch to spotify but this is a deal breaker for me. We have several Alexa devices and I cant create a profile for every single one. This works fine with Amazon Music.

m1sterd

I have had a single Premium account for many years, we have multiple Echo devices and Google home devices in the house, we have children that each want to listen to music at bedtime etc. but all devices use my Amazon/Google accounts, so after being asked for months I decided to purchase Spotify Family Premium so the kids didn’t have to alternate the nights they listen to music, only now to find Spotify doesn’t support this (also when did Spotify Family go from 14.99 to 16.99). So now I am subscribed to a Spotify plan that it seems none of us can use in a modern connected home…..

okapigiraffe

the fact this hasn't been implemented in the year 2021 its quite literally unacceptable. what's the points of personal playlists, wrapped, mixes etc if your account gets polluted by other users requesting songs on Alexa? come on Spotify, this is genuinely a dealbreaker and has finally pushed me to consider Apple Music.

Swaguimongui

Hello 

I offer my suggestion to Spotify. it would be good if we could associate several Spotify accounts with voice profiles, for now, even if we change the profile of the alexa application and connect our Spotify account, it is directly set to default and deletes the other account associated with the other voice profile. So it would be nice if we could link several Spotify accounts by voice profiles, so alexa recognizes our voice and puts directly the Spotify account of the person who requested the music. As that ends up creating lots of amazon accounts, everything goes on a single account but on several voice profiles! here is a link:

https://developer.amazon.com/fr/blogs/alexa/post/1ad16e9b-4f52-4e68-9187-ec2e93faae55/recognize-voic...

Jamhod

Each evening I have arguing children over who is playing what music on my Spotify account when both children have Spotify family account and echos in their rooms...this is madness that I cannot let them use their Spotify accounts with the echos in their rooms without removing the echos from my smart home and creating new separate stand alone echos....please can we have an update on this frustrating issue

m1sterd

This is ridiculous, I would have thought with Spotify being around for so long and engaging in the modern connected home that they would have a solution for this, why not just make it really simple, I don’t care about having individual playlists for each family member, I am happy for each member to just name their lists appropriate for them, this way all Spotify needs to do is check the number of streams playing at any one time? So ALL devices in the family log in using the main account (or drop family accounts altogether and just have single stream or multiple stream options instead), then any devices using that main account have access to all the playlists and requesting a new device to stream would be stopped if you already had 5 devices streaming from that account. It may not be ideal for some, but I would imagine for most it allows multiple devices to play different music at once from the same multi stream account. Also individual playlists cause even more problems for me as everyone want each others playlist/songs anyway.

BekaS

I agree with the concerns others have posted. I'm adding my family's situation to these comments in order to join the voices of others. This issue is incredibly frustrating given we pay extra for a family account.

Our family of four has 4 Amazon Alexa enabled devices, smart phones, and a car linked with a Spotify app. The car, is linked with one individuals Spotify account. Alexa is linked to another individuals account (me!), but only one person can listen on one Echo. If I'm in the kitchen listening to music, as soon as kids or husband starts to play music in another room, the music goes off for me. Or, when I'm at work enjoying the "Coffee Beats" playlist from Spotify, the music will suddenly stop and I'll see that someone is at home listening with Alexa. This other person has their own Spotify account, but cannot play their own Spotify account. An alternative for them to use their own account would be to stream through the phone app and use headphones. I used to really love Spotify, but now I'm associating it with frustration, irritation, and disappointment. My end-of-the-year summary is bogus, filled with a disjointed assortment of my family's preferences and has nothing to do with my own favorites. The app doesn't allow users (people) to actually use their account, rather the app seems to focus on pairing devices/app with accounts. 

We all want to easily be able to play X song or Y playlist from "NAME's Spotify account" through Alexa enabled devices (or any devices!) without changing any other logins. Please make this happen ASAP and provide an update on whether this is under consideration. 

m1sterd

My idea of actually limiting the number of streams playing rather than the number of accounts could still work here, all family accounts could use any of the max streams available, I don’t mind so much the playlist issue, but you could say, “hey Alexa play Disco playlist from Fred’s playlist” where Fred is one of the linked family users, although I personally still don’t care about having separate accounts with their own playlists, as most of the time my kids ask if they can listen to the playlist I was last listening to. If it’s required for age reasons then yes I can see where the separate accounts come into play, but again the above idea of limiting the number of streams rather than the number of accounts being used as at once removes most of the issues people are having. If Alexa/Google Home are able to select your family account and therefore playlist based on your voice then that would also be great, can’t imagine it being that accurate though.