Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

[Amazon Alexa] Swap Spotify accounts without changing Alexa account

I have a Spotify Family account for myself and my wife

I have an alexa unit in every room, every unit is using MY amazon account as all the lights and home automation can only be setup on one Amazon account

I want to play Spotify in the room i’m in

My wife wants to play her music in a different room

Both myself and my wife also want to use the home automation whilst playing music, eg, turning on the lights

This can be done using Apple music and Amazon music but Spotify require to swap to a different spotify account for the other person

To swap to a different spotify account means changing the Alexa profile of the alexa device and then all the home automation no longer works from that device. 

Please can you allow both myself and my wife to play music in different rooms WITHOUT having to change the Amazon Alexa account

It would be great if I could say ‘Alexa, play spotify from Trevors account’ and my wife could say in a different room, at the same time, ‘Alexa, play spotify from Jackie’s account’ 

This is not a duplicate of other suggestions, I’ve checked and anything close was raised before the ability to swap alexa accounts was implemented. Swapping alexa accounts is only a work around and is not a solution to this problem.

Many people want this feature and your chat team said I should raise it here

Here is a link to the forum, lots of people are leaving spotify because only spotify do not support this feature, you guys need to catch up

https://community.spotify.com/t5/Premium-for-Family/FAMILY-AND-ECHO-ALEXA/m-p/4900618#M26242

From my research it seems there is talk about Spotify only has one concurrent music stream whereas Apple and Amazon music have multiple streams, but please can you improve on this, the thread above was started over 18 months ago, something should be done to improve on this issue

Again, please don’t write this off as a duplicate and do nothing/say it relates to a 3rd party, people still want this feature

Thanks

Trevor Rowe

19/2/2021

Folks, just a quick update on this.

Spotify say this

The Community team talks with various other Spotify teams several times a month about ideas with over 500 votes (our criteria for being a top idea). It’s from these meetings that we apply one of the following statuses to each idea….

This idea has reached over 500 votes so I asked on chat for timescales/what will happen next and was told to keep an eye on this thread.

That really sounded open ended!

As the person on chat could only deal with app and account queries, I was told to also contact the support team to get action on this

So as well as voting for this issue (please continue), 

Spotify need to keep up with Apple and Amazon and fix this issue - with your help we might just get this solved!

Updated on 2021-06-15

Hey everyone,

Thanks for bringing us your feedback in the Spotify Idea Exchange.

Your suggestion has gathered the votes necessary and your feedback is now reaching the internal teams at Spotify. They're aware of the vote count and popularity of this idea. We'll continue to monitor and check out the comments here, too.

As soon as we have any updates on its status, we'll let you know.

More info on how your feedback reaches Spotify via the Idea Exchange can be found here.

Comments
Magicmerly
No it's not, Amazon give you the ability to change accounts for Spotify, it
doesn't work
beastpilot

@Xtotoy - this behavior actually has nothing to do with Amazon or Alexa.

With Spotify, if you have two phones on the same account, and you press play on one, it stops on the other one, even if you have a family account.

With every other service (Apple, Google, Amazon) if you have a Family account, it will let you stream on both phones at the same time, because the limit is on total number of streams, independent of account.

The Amazon Echo behavior is a side effect of this. Just as many people are annoyed that their Echo stops when someone gets in a car and it hits Spotify as they are the ability to stream on two Echos at once. Remember that this is for FAMILY accounts, and the idea that every speaker will always be tied to one individual human is false. If there is music playing in my house and everyone is enjoying it, I should be able to get in my car and not stop the music in the house just because they happened to both be started on the same "account."

steviehs

Thank you! This is the most  perfect explanation of what behavior one should expect. Because even "switching" accounts on the Alexa would be PITA.

Now Spotify, did you hear, what we want? Go ahead and do it.

CraftsNShyt

Yes, for the love of all that is holy, SPOTIFY FIX THIS. Hot damn. I've asked for almost a decade now. Zero movement. Doubt they even read this **bleep**. It's probably just a garbage dump so they don't have to actually make any changes to the platform.

Ric_Can

Disappointing and frustrating the lack of awareness and empathy from Spotify with their customers; the ones who pay for their salaries. Years go by and this common sense inquiry is not addressed. I encountered this problem years ago, and ended up creating different amazon accounts to work around this issue. It really sucks not having all the Alexa devices in the same account, specially for music, communication and home Wi-Fi/Alexa devices. Hoping this issue was solved I decided to try again playing Spotify (family plan) with one amazon account in all my devices, sadly it didn't work and ended up here. 😓 

Magicmerly

Over a year with no comment, Spotify can we get some or any feeback from this please.

juhajonathan

Does anyone know if this is also an issue with Apple Music?

der_schneewolf

No idea about Apple Music, but we switched to Amazon Music. This issue does not exist there. With a family plan, you can stream parallel from the same account. 

Mesmiseim

But can you still use a different profile for each member with his own playlists etc.? Or is it just possible to stream on all the devices but everyone has a mess of played or favorized songs as a result? Can you match alexa music profiles with the corresponding alexa profiles? Today I descovered that they don't even match the household member profiles.

I set up an echo dot 5 with my main profile and the amazon kids setting of my daughter. Now the speaker tries to play from her spotify account bout nothing hearable comes out. There's no error though, and I have no way to pair her spotify account with the echo device, because on my phone my main account is paired with my spotify account and linked to another echo device. So the alexa app recognizes a linked spotify account, but there seems to be no way to link one to the kids device. At least I dont know one. I am sure if I turn the amazon kids setting off it would be back on my main profile and use my spotify instead, buts thats not what is wanted. Mainly the setup is okay to the point of setting the echo in the kids mode, then theres no way to link any specific spotify account to it. Or did someone manage it meanwhile?

Ljgwheeler

Revisiting this after a year of running both Spotify and Amazon music to get round this issue. Unbelievable they haven't made any effort to fix this yet. If Amazon music wasn't so terrible we'd have moved both accounts to Amazon.