Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

[Amazon Alexa] Swap Spotify accounts without changing Alexa account

I have a Spotify Family account for myself and my wife

I have an alexa unit in every room, every unit is using MY amazon account as all the lights and home automation can only be setup on one Amazon account

I want to play Spotify in the room i’m in

My wife wants to play her music in a different room

Both myself and my wife also want to use the home automation whilst playing music, eg, turning on the lights

This can be done using Apple music and Amazon music but Spotify require to swap to a different spotify account for the other person

To swap to a different spotify account means changing the Alexa profile of the alexa device and then all the home automation no longer works from that device. 

Please can you allow both myself and my wife to play music in different rooms WITHOUT having to change the Amazon Alexa account

It would be great if I could say ‘Alexa, play spotify from Trevors account’ and my wife could say in a different room, at the same time, ‘Alexa, play spotify from Jackie’s account’ 

This is not a duplicate of other suggestions, I’ve checked and anything close was raised before the ability to swap alexa accounts was implemented. Swapping alexa accounts is only a work around and is not a solution to this problem.

Many people want this feature and your chat team said I should raise it here

Here is a link to the forum, lots of people are leaving spotify because only spotify do not support this feature, you guys need to catch up

https://community.spotify.com/t5/Premium-for-Family/FAMILY-AND-ECHO-ALEXA/m-p/4900618#M26242

From my research it seems there is talk about Spotify only has one concurrent music stream whereas Apple and Amazon music have multiple streams, but please can you improve on this, the thread above was started over 18 months ago, something should be done to improve on this issue

Again, please don’t write this off as a duplicate and do nothing/say it relates to a 3rd party, people still want this feature

Thanks

Trevor Rowe

19/2/2021

Folks, just a quick update on this.

Spotify say this

The Community team talks with various other Spotify teams several times a month about ideas with over 500 votes (our criteria for being a top idea). It’s from these meetings that we apply one of the following statuses to each idea….

This idea has reached over 500 votes so I asked on chat for timescales/what will happen next and was told to keep an eye on this thread.

That really sounded open ended!

As the person on chat could only deal with app and account queries, I was told to also contact the support team to get action on this

So as well as voting for this issue (please continue), 

Spotify need to keep up with Apple and Amazon and fix this issue - with your help we might just get this solved!

Updated on 2021-06-15

Hey everyone,

Thanks for bringing us your feedback in the Spotify Idea Exchange.

Your suggestion has gathered the votes necessary and your feedback is now reaching the internal teams at Spotify. They're aware of the vote count and popularity of this idea. We'll continue to monitor and check out the comments here, too.

As soon as we have any updates on its status, we'll let you know.

More info on how your feedback reaches Spotify via the Idea Exchange can be found here.

Comments
Keoki

I periodically get emails from Spotify trying to get me to upgrade to Family, but it's from a 'no-reply' address, so I can't respond by pointing out that there is no way I'm ever going to upgrade as long as Family is unsupported on Alexa.  So, I'll say it again here:  I'm more likely to switch to Amazon or Apple than to upgrade to Spotify Family as long as it is incompatible with Alexa!

At the rate Spotify's going, my children will no longer be minors by the time Spotify gets around to addressing this issue.

sdeftink

It's official.  We're off Spotify and have switched to Amazon Music Unlimited Family.  Happy with the change.  During the cancelation, when asked why we canceled the subscription, below is what I stated.  Good luck everyone.

"If you TRULY want to know why I'm cancelling, please review everything in the 2 community posts below. We're being ignored for what should be a relatively easy fix. If this was remedied, we'd consider coming back. Feel free to reach out if anyone cares to discuss further.

https://community.spotify.com/t5/Live-Ideas/Amazon-Alexa-Swap-Spotify-accounts-without-changing-Alex...

https://community.spotify.com/t5/Premium-Family/How-to-get-multiple-Alexa-s-to-play-from-different-S..."

Magicmerly
Hi All so it appears you can do it now, it's a bit of a faff but it's
possible.

I set my mrs her own alexa app up and put her email for the spotify on her
account.

On the echo that I wanted I can say swap accounts in my household and it
swaps to her account and uses her spotify when I can use mine.

I had to set all the hue lights up in her account but for now the spotify
accounts are independent of each other.
ItsChimpanzee

@magicmerly You've always been able to do that. The problem is once you tell it to "switch accounts" everything on that echo is now related to the other person's account so you can no longer access anything on your Alexa account unless you tell it to switch again.

On Google Home there's no switching needed. It recognises the person's voice and automatically uses the correct Spotify account. If Google Assistant wasn't inferior to Alexa in every other regard I would switch back in an instant. 😂

sergiohst

Esta es una característica indispensable para poder utilizar el plan familiar en mis dispositivos Alexa y las API de Amazon hace tiempo que lo permiten, no entiendo por qué aún no lo han implementado! pero me estoy planteando cambiarme a Amazon unlímited solo por esto! por favor

shakeheartbreak

Between the failure to implement a range of commands on Alexa, giving buckets of money to anti-vaxxers like J*e R*gan and now the awful new desktop interface, I'm going to start considering at alternatives to Spotify.  They don't care about music fans anymore.  It's just the money of the masses that they want.

zaxxane

Why isn't this out yet? How has Spotify Premium for families been launched without including this as a feature? I've been loyal for many years because I'm comfortable with the interface. But now that I don't necessarily have to pull out a screen to play music or listen to a podcast, it's a huge inconvenience to have separate amazon accounts registered to different echo devices OR have one Spotify account assigned to Alexa while the other has to connect to a speaker via bluetooth. It shouldn't be this big of a hassle if I'm paying money for a "premium" experience. Calling this premium is a stretch. Big L, Spotify. Big L.

AzzX

You can say to Alexa "Spotify connect" then others can use the speaker or speaker group. Not ideal but works quickly.

shakeheartbreak

Spotify Connect sadly isn't a long-term, practical solution - not least as mine often disconnects without obvious reason or warning.

I've just started looking at alternative services. If I find one with a decent catalogue and the functionality for Alexa that Spotify could but refuses to offer, I'll post back here.

So long, Spotify - it's sad to see what you've become.. but we deserve better.

Metalbry

It appears this is never going to get fixed.