Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

[Discover] Find similar Playlists to your own Playlist

I have a playlist of all of my favorite songs. Just from browsing around Spotify for a little I found a playlist that had about 70% of the songs in my playlist in it. I soon discovered that I loved the majority of the songs in this new playlist that I didn't already have in mine. I have discovered a lot of new music this way, but it is difficult and time consuming to find new playlist similar to mine.

I think it would be awesome to have the ability to discover new playlist that contain a lot of the same songs as my own playlist. This could be done with a "Search for Similar Playlists" feature that allows users to drag multiple songs or playlist into a search feature that locates playlists others have created that have a high percentage of similar songs in it. 

Updated on 2018-12-14

Hi everyone!

We're keeping this as a 'Good Idea' for now. Please know your feedback is reaching the internal teams at Spotify, and they're aware of the votes around this idea. We'll continue to check out the comments here too.

Just as a heads up, be sure to check out the 'Create Similar Playlist' option on the Desktop and Mobile apps. You can find it by clicking the three dots on most playlists. 

If there are any updates, we'll let you know.

Thanks.

Comments
vanhaase

Yieeehaa!
And then we finally will be able to find more really "surprising new music" instead of this boring "more of the same" - stuff.
Level instead of leveling. Thanks a lot!
No algorithm can simulate individual human liking. No chance.

iNFaMoUZGaming

Yes, please.

AdamDam

I think that this is a great idea! I’ve sometimes discovered music that I like from likeminded Spotify users’ playlists using the “Discovered On” section of the pages of artists that I listen to. I imagine that a feature for finding similar public playlists to one’s own would further facilitate music discovery on Spotify.

yes

astar7

i would think the best way to do this would be to have a users most played songs and artists and recommend other user created playlists that feature a lot of their most played songs and/or have similar titles or vibes as their spotify searches. for example if a user is listening to taylor swifts reputation album a lot and another user created a playlist named after one of the lyrics from reputation (like “this is why we can’t have nice things” etc) then you could recommend the user created playlists to the first user to listen to. i understand that this might not be an easy thing to implement but i think it would be super cool and really nice for users (especially those that are not creatively inclined to making playlists) and especially since the current search system for playlists is often not satisfactory. thank you! 🙂

eule_7834

I would love this feature suggestion to not only be implemented soon, but also expanded in order to find fellow Spotify users with similar taste:

* Spotify should encourage users to make public their LIKED songs list

* Spotify should do a factor analysis of the "liked" playlist and suggest fellow users and allow communication with those users // or a clear, immediatey linking of one's Spotify Community User Profile (and encouragement to engage in this linking) to allow commication -> this will turn Spotify into a social network and encourage user engagement with the App and the Community.

* The "similar users" suggestions could show up

-- for the "liked songs" meta playlist

-- for each Daily Mix

The shown users should be listed by correlation, in a list of e.g. 30-50 users per playlist.

For each user, there could be a feature to "show undiscovered songs of this users" that will suggest songs that this users likes and that one has not yet listened to and where there's a high probabilty that one will like those songs. Like, 10 songs with the highest probabilty. I think people will like the fact that they are listening to stuff that a REAL person with similar taste also is listening to. It takes away the anonymity and "loneliness" that one experiences in the App.