Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Fix the algorithm choosing too many short songs

It would be pretty nice if The Algorithm would reflect listening history and taste profile  in terms of song length!

It would be pretty cool if mainly listening to tracks between 4 to 10 minutes doesn't result in Discover Weeklies, Release Radars and Daily Mixes 80% tracks shorter than 4 minutes and 30% even below the 2 minute mark!

Personally it would be really sweet to see Discover Weeklies and Release Radars again with and average length of 3+ hours in stead of 2- hours.

Updated on 2023-10-27

We're thrilled to see that your suggestion is rapidly gaining popularity and we're updating its status to Good Suggestion.

We hope that it will continue to gain support from more users. Thank you for your valuable contribution - we truly appreciate it!

For more details about how the Ideas Exchange works, please refer to here.

Comments
psabatini

I just cancelled premium over this. Discovery weekly irritates me with how many short tracks there are now (combined with it playing songs I've already disliked).

It used to be roughly 3 hours long, but the last several weeks it's been half of that.

stinsonjt

I wish I had more than one vote for this. I would estimate that 90% of songs added to daily and weekly playlists and 90% of randomly generated tracks after I finish an album are less than 90 seconds. 100% are 3 minutes or less. It's extremely annoying and I've tried all of the "fixes" I've found online (setting my profile to public, taking time off from playlists and listening to entire albums, removing short songs from playlists, etc.).

Please fix this! 

Luan
Status changed to: Good Suggestion

Updated on 2023-10-27

We're thrilled to see that your suggestion is rapidly gaining popularity and we're updating its status to Good Suggestion.

We hope that it will continue to gain support from more users. Thank you for your valuable contribution - we truly appreciate it!

For more details about how the Ideas Exchange works, please refer to here.

basictonal

yes big vote for this - when my chosen album has finished (mostly ambient stuff) and it goes onto choose songs related to the album, more and more of the songs are less than 1 minute, never mind 2 minutes. Ambient tracks I listen to are often quite long so hearing something that starts and stops within 1 minute or so just doesn't work for me - would be great that this didn't happen or at least have a choice to opt-out of such short track lengths.

dmnkfr

I agree, this is getting ridiculous. The only songs longer than 3 minutes that are in my weekly mix, radio, suggestions, everywhere are those I actually listen to a lot.

Patty_horizontal

Spotify, please. We know more money is moved when more songs are played, and if there are shorter songs in a list, more songs are played. But in the end, we will just stop using your playlists like discover weekly or song radio, once amazing resources of your site. Don't spoil it, or better, fixe it. Also, for those who pay Premium this feels so dirty and unloyal to your clients. Stop greed. Love music. 

will7397

It's getting to the point that I can longer let the algorithm suggest any new songs. They are all trash short partial 1-2 min songs. If artists are truly going this direction then the model is more broken then any one is willing to admit. I hope Spotify can do a fix to their algorithm but I worry there's more long term issues to solve. 

mowshowitz

I actually don't mind the brief songs in the context of their own albums—I am totally fine with them there, as they can serve as transitions or palate cleansers or returning to a theme. But when you pluck all those interludes out of albums in which they make sense and stick them next to each other, you just have a disjointed 90-minute throat-clearing-fest. It's jarring and unpleasant.

cactus70

Absolutely agree, these snippets are useless and frustrating. They also appear after some of my playlists ends and the continued songs are suggested by Spotify. This is just functional music for airports or whatever, not stuff to listen to!

kweij

Oh my @Luan, @Spotify, I am soooo proud to have received the "Good Suggestion" status on this idea criticizing Spotify's customer-vs-commercial priorities!

You know what would really make me happy, along with the 85 other voters? A refund for the downgraded functionality that was receiving the same fee as before! That this paying customer's feedback was taking so seriously that you'd provide explanation about the reason behind the change in the algorithm in the first place, a mea culpa and of course a fix to resolute the broken algorithm that makes customers unhappy about your service.