Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Integrate HTML5 with play.spotify.com

With the new Xbox one coming out and it not supporting flash, I believe Spotify needs to revamp their play.spotify.com site to support HTML5 also, flash is a bit old, isn't it? I think this will greatly improve the experience on the site as well. <br><br>Thank you.

Updated on 2017-11-10

Hey everyone! We can confirm this very popular idea is now fully implemented.  The new Web Player uses HTML5 technologies solely. Thanks for your continued feedback in the Idea Exchange!

Comments
hiphipvargas

Spotify, this conversation is too old and still peopple come here complaining. Said to see.

This is a stain for your reputation.

Just put the darn html5 working now!

stormshroud

Seriously, Flash? Flash is going to very soon (already is according to who you ask) be a totally dead technology. Its time to put some effort towards making it work with something more efficient! PLEASE implement some other method of listening through the web browser. Thank you for such a cool service!

Björn72

Netflix solved the same problem so I can't see why Spotify couldn't. Firefox and Google will pull the plug on flash later this year rendering the current web player solution inaccessible for milions of Spotify users around the world. I assume they have a plan on launching a new version long before then.

MrsGarrison

Flash crashes your web player every 15 mins in Chrome and i've had even less luck with it in Opera or Firefox. It also will freeze my whole computer when I try to open any other flash object in a new tab while i'm playing music. Their product is widely regarded as a **bleep**ty, unstable, stupid and evil resource hog, and has been since way before 2008. Their developers seem to be mainly concerned with Internet (excuse me while I vomit) Explorer. They still live in the mid-1990s.

Dear Spotify, as soon as you can afford to : RUN from that idiotic partnership !

Not saying please. It's really for your own good. 

I'll be checking up on you, but in the meantime, I'm off to a serviceable web player. Don't be too late to change or there will be noone left to notice.

See ya

manbok

What kind of flea market, 4th world toilet cleaners run this monkey house of backwards evolution?

Can't fix software memory leak (Spotify songs written into memory and not deleted), can't make an HTML5 web player, which even Amazon has now.

_x_

My employer recently banned Flash from all computers. I am also not allowed to install any apps. So my Spotify subscription becomes pretty useless. And I don't pay for useless services. So please, let your lawyers kick some a**es and build a HTML5 frontend.

carloscarcamo

We all hate flash! please move to HTML5

slimnickyy

Yes, even if a "beta" at first a lot of people cannot for corporate reasons or chose not to for security reasons use Flash. Further, all major browsers have plans to further sandbox and eventually disable Flash by default relying on HTML5. Spotify need to get to work with a beta site or when Flash isn't detected auto send to the beta site for playback. Google Music and Lastfm work without Flash -- spotify must as well.

tmalsburg

Flash is a horrid security disaster and no other web service that I use requires it.  Please do the right thing and move to HTML5.

jeansienkin

Definitely agree, it's time to move to HTML5!