Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

[Mobile][Playlists] 'Add to playlist' sort order should be custom

In the latest Spotify library redesign, when I try to add a song to a playlist, the modal that opens sorts my playlists in a seemingly random order. This is very annoying since I have a mix of many playlists/folders in a specific custom order, and now finding the correct playlist to add a song has become a pain. This has only become a problem in the latest update, and worked perfectly in previous Spotify versions. I think that the order of the playlists in the "Add to playlist" dialog should follow the same order as the main Playlists tab - that is, if I have my playlists sorted by custom, the dialog should be sorted the same way.

Updated on 2021-06-13

Hey everyone,

Thanks for bringing us your feedback in the Spotify Idea Exchange.

Your suggestion has gathered the votes necessary and your feedback is now reaching the internal teams at Spotify. They're aware of the vote count and popularity of this idea. We'll continue to monitor and check out the comments here, too.

As soon as we have any updates on its status, we'll let you know.

More info on how your feedback reaches Spotify via the Idea Exchange can be found here.

Comments
rua_donn

@Paulvisser97

Aw mannn, you're lucky. I have been waiting so long to see this.  They must be releasing it as a beta version in certain regions to test it out, but I really hope they release this soon for everyone.
sneakerboxxx

CANNOT AGREE WITH THIS MORE!! Easily the worst ux change to the app since I've joined Spotify. As OP mentioned, finding the right playlist when you have a lot of them is now extremely difficult due to being scrambled every time. I've essentially memorized the order I put them in from repeated use so finding the right one used to be instant from muscle memory. Fortunately you can already toggle the playlist order in your library, please either include that same toggle when adding a song to a playlist, or just go by the same selected order method. 

Also adding a search bar as can be seen in @Paulvisser97's comment is a definite improvement but still not enough in my opinion. Allowing custom order when adding to playlist is an absolute must for me. 

kick_ball_boy

I agree with @sneakerboxxx, the search bar as brought up by @paulvisser97 is fine and should stay, but having to search isn't really much faster than going through a jumbled list when, like @sneakerboxxx mentioned, a LOT of use our playlists constantly in the order that we set on the main page. There's no reason for the "add to playlist" menu order to constantly change because that just adds more time spent looking for what should be an easy process. 

Some people might like recently edited to be the sorting method, and that's fine. Why not provide a button that easily lets us toggle between recently edited or the order we've set? It makes no sense for what used to be a rather quick process to now take 30 seconds per song because I have to sit and read the order every time I want to add a song  

kick_ball_boy

It's ridiculous that in 2021 we're still having to ask for this, again! After it was fixed previously and set to follow the order we've set on our main page. Spotify, it doesn't have to be one or the other, but don't change it for all of us that have used the correct method for years

This is Google level idiocy. Now my playlists on YouTube sort by recently edited, and it's ridiculous because do they expect me to memorize the last 5 playlists I edited? That's not possible, but I do remember the order I've set them in that I use them in every day

Xander2

It eventually worked like it was described in this idea post. However, the functionality was replaced/removed after the last update (around May 2021 I think, at least on iOS14).

• So you want to add a new track to an existing playlist you own.
  • You choose: ‘Add to playlist’
  • You get the screen Add to Playlist
  • Now it’s about finding the particular playlist (made by you)
  • Back in the days, you got to see your playlist in the customized order (and the same as on the Desktop app). Not anymore
  • Of course, you can use the search field, but that excludes for example folders
  • And that you can’t change that order

The way to search in your library is different now: You can use tags to filter and choose a way to sort everything. What I don't like however is that I have to choose the tag playlist (my default way of looking at the library) every time OI enter the library. It doesn't remember your last setting. But that's a different point I guess 🙂

MrSkoda

The recent update makes things *slightly* better as at least we can filter. But I don't want to do that, I want the playlists I've chosen to be at hte top of my playlists to be at hte top of my playlists.

It worked fine in the first half of 2019, then you broke it in ~july.

https://twitter.com/ThisPatch/status/1174235071538257922

I keep my playlists in an order that I want them in, with the ones I want to use regularly at the top.

I open the 'add to playlist' link and... have to scroll about looking for a specific play list in amongst hundreds and there's no obvious order to where it'll be so I can't even be sure exactly where it'll be.

raphtaph

At this point, Spotify has changed things so much that I have given up on asking them anything.

I just want playlists and folders to show up on my phone the same way they do on the desktop app. The order in which playlists and folders show up now is completely shuffled and I just can't deal with it.

They somehow seem to find ways to make the experience more and more alien to long time users. If consistency is a virtue, kudos to Spotify for consistently **bleep**ing things up. Thanks.

blakekhodges

Greetings from the future (May 2021). This is still a problem. Though it seems to have only happened to me after a recent update. Makes adding songs to Playlists much, much more difficult.... 

Sometimes Spotify just tries too hard 

j2Purcellville

Why not just add a easy to select "Sort by" dynamic option like any other website/app does?  Sort by "Most Recently Played" / Alphabetical" / Date Created / Custom (meaning app will not change what you have ordered).  You will not get everyone to support just one Sort Order.   Would be somewhat consistent with the new "Display All, Playlists, Songs, Artist" option UX.

Mario
Status changed to: Live Idea

Updated on 2021-06-13

Hey everyone,

Thanks for bringing us your feedback in the Spotify Idea Exchange.

Your suggestion has gathered the votes necessary and your feedback is now reaching the internal teams at Spotify. They're aware of the vote count and popularity of this idea. We'll continue to monitor and check out the comments here, too.

As soon as we have any updates on its status, we'll let you know.

More info on how your feedback reaches Spotify via the Idea Exchange can be found here.