Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

[Music] Import & Export Music

I love my playlists. I've added to my starred playlist for about two years now, and I always wonder what I'd do if my playlists were somehow wiped. So how about something that would rest my mind, the ability to back up your playlists to say, a text file containing all your songs, and then you can import your playlist if it somehow goes missing! This would be an ace feature as I see some people are having issues with duplicate accounts and their playlists being wiped.

This would also making sharing playlists between friends even easier!

TL;DR: Let us export our playlists to a text file, and then import our playlists whenever we like.

Updated on 2023-03-30

Hey everyone,

Thanks for coming to the Spotify Idea Exchange.

We've discussed this idea and while it is interesting, we aren't able to prioritize it and don't have any immediate plans to implement this. We will let you know if this changes in the future.

If we do have any new information to share, rest assured we'll check back in here with a new status.

More info on why your idea has been closed can be found here.

Comments
MyrddinDerwydd

We've been asking for this feature for over 2 years. 

placidflop

Hi !

I have recently posted a new idea (see below), which is linked to this one.

Actually, I think it even includes additional features : followed artists list export together with playlists tracks export, more track details in the export files.

What do you think of this ?

Thanks for your comments !

Cheers,

placidflop

=> How about the possibility to export a CONSOLIDATED BACKUP FILE ?

"Like many others, I feel the need to own a backup file of my activity on Spotify. It's not at all that I don't trust Spotify, but issues can (and sometimes do) occur with data, and having a simple comprehensive file would really bring peace of mind to me 🙂 

Personnally, I would like to create this backup file every month or so, in a .csv, .xls or .txt format, via a simple export function.

It would include playlists artists and titles of course, giving some more details as : playlist addition date, local file or not, if it happened mention of deletion from the Spotify database (contract changed between artist and Spotify), if it happened mention of automatic title switch in the Spotify database (same reason), title lentgh, album name. Furthermore, this backup file would also include the whole list of followed artists, also mentionning here when an artist would disappear from the Spotify database (hopefully in rare cases :-)).

My personal music is very important to me, and being certain that I can keep a reliable backup of my likes, dislikes, and music choices is crucial for users like me. THANKS FOR SHARING THIS IDEA IF YOU LIKE IT !"

karamarinas

What about merging or combining some playlists with the same name into one? How do we merge playlist if you got some playlist with the same name?

placidflop

Like many others, I feel the need to own a backup file of my activity on Spotify. It's not at all that I don't trust Spotify, but issues can (and sometimes do) occur with data, and having a simple comprehensive file would really bring peace of mind to me 🙂 

Personnally, I would like to create this backup file every month or so, in a .csv, .xls or .txt format, via a simple export function.

It would include playlists artists and titles of course, giving some more details as : playlist addition date, local file or not, if it happened mention of deletion from the Spotify database (contract changed between artist and Spotify), if it happened mention of automatic title switch in the Spotify database (same reason), title lentgh, album name. Furthermore, this backup file would also include the whole list of followed artists, also mentionning here when an artist would disappear from the Spotify database (hopefully in rare cases :-)).

My personal music is very important to me, and being certain that I can keep a reliable backup of my likes, dislikes, and music choices is crucial for users like me.

Thanks for your kudos !

cspotifywatson

How has such a simple and basic feature been marked as a "Good idea" since mid-2013 and still not been released? Honestly Spotify, this feature is way more important than all the logo updates you've made in the mean time.

Here's a "good idea": take your user's feedback and requests seriously.

Revenant

A feature Spotify seriously needs. It might seem like it's a minority saying that, but there are undoubtedly many, many more who haven't chosen to speak up, but feel the same about making Spotify more comfortable to use this way.

WilliamOffline

cspotifywatson

Off course Stopify will never release tooling for this as this would allow users to migrate from Stopify to Google Play All Access.

Stopify would be out of business if they set their users free and allow the to move their lists to other providers.

The business model of Sptofify is not based on constant value add, but more a ransomware a-like construction.

They own your lists. You pay Stopify for access to music you like via your lists that they own (until you accept the loss and start over again / a bit like quitting smoking)).

They will deny this off course pretending they are honest hard working people. with the usual smoke screens...

Yet...you will never see exports that allow users to roam freely to other providers.

I refer to the service as STOPify as it has for premium users the nasty habbit of stopping at the moment where you need music the most and have no WiFi at your disposal to fix any STOPify issues (abroad, up in the sky).

Remember: To play off line files, you must be on line with sufficient band with to renew your library..

Casey

If you happen to have Python installed, I just wrote this Python script that'll export all of your playlists to a file for safekeeping: https://github.com/bitsofpancake/spotify-backup

camillo75

I would need this feature also to save tracks which are removed in time from the playlists I am following and I am not in control of.

Camillo

bzero

I would seperate the export and import process.

I would be very happy, if I just could export the list as a text file (CSV).

This way I can also stop using Spotify and buy my favorite tracks somewhere else (e.g. iTunes Store).

I just don't want my time to be wasted that I used to carefully put together my playlists...

So please SPOTIFY: do the export first... you can think about the import later.