Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

[Playlists] Solution to false/abusive reporting

Whenever someone reports a playlist - the title and cover art are removed immediately. This is often abused to hurt record labels and playlist curators. After contacting support - the account of someone who abused this system gets taken down. This person then creates another email and free Spotify account and repeats the process. 

There is a simple solution to the problem - enable reporting feature only after 10 hours of music/podcasts were streamed using the account. It won't change the experience for a normal user but makes copyright abuse impractical. It's cheap and easy to implement and would stop 95% of false claims.

Thank you for your consideration. 

Updated on 2021-06-14

Hey everyone,

Thanks for bringing us your feedback in the Spotify Idea Exchange.

Your suggestion has gathered the votes necessary and your feedback is now reaching the internal teams at Spotify. They're aware of the vote count and popularity of this idea. We'll continue to monitor and check out the comments here, too.

As soon as we have any updates on its status, we'll let you know.

More info on how your feedback reaches Spotify via the Idea Exchange can be found here.

Comments
malezander

Received another violation email today for another playlist. I have followed the instructions to appeal in the email from Spotify support but still no response. It is so annoying that someone can abuse the system to alter playlists and we have no way to protect against it.

Dieguillo000

@autumntillman

Hey mate, the program is great! but I have a problem and see if you know how to solve it. When the script has been running for about 1h it stops working and closes by itself. I have already changed in the system settings the minimum suspend time and several other things but it keeps happening to me. Do you know why it could be? Thanks

autumntillman

hey @dieguillo! thank you. can you run it in IDLE for me to see what error you get? you can run it that way via right clicking the script>Open in IDLE, then hit F5 to run. you can message me the error directly here or email the address in the help section of the GitHub. (:

Dieguillo000

@autumntillman

It doesn't give any error, the script works perfectly, what happens is that after one hour it closes by itself, do you know why this could happen?

autumntillman

@dieguillo it doesn’t give an error if it’s ran normally because Pythons console won’t show errors. if you run it in idle, idle WILL tell you why it errored and stays open after it fails (: IDLEs command line never closes unless you manually close it, so that you can troubleshoot it- if that makes any sense? i have time to send screenshots to explain if needed. 

Dieguillo000

@autumntillman Okay I understand, I just ran it in IDLE mode, now I have to wait and see what happens, thank you very much for your help 🙏🙏

coolpanama
Thanks for your help, assistance and automated tool you give us
@autumntillman! We really appreciate it! It's such a help not to have to put
the image, title and description back again all day long. The only thing is
that my pc has to be on all day, but well, it's a small price to pay and the
best solution so far.

Ok, then I guess I'll keep the serverless setup. I'm not ready to buy a
dedicated server.

Two questions:

- is it possible that your program can check if there is a change in the
image, title or description (a report) and if so then restore the content?
Now it restores the content no matter what.

- if more playlists are reported, what is the best option to restore both?

Thanks again, you're the best!

autumntillman

hey @coolpanama, thanks for the kind words! (: 

1: it can check for a report via your email. i can add some code in to check for an email and then execute the command, if you’d like! i’m sure other people would want it too.

2: if you wanted to update both on a timer, either editing a separate copy of the script and running both OR editing the code to run both functions would do the trick. i can create a second version to update two playlists at once if you’d like, it would be a pretty quick edit  (: 

serverless setup is a good solution, or running a raspberry pi/small microcomputer that doesn’t take up much energy. 

i’ll be doing a serverless setup for myself next weekend, and can let you know how it goes.

PLAYTIFY

Still not fixed!!

Dieguillo000

Hey @autumntillman could I send you the error by email???