Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

[Playlists] Solution to false/abusive reporting

Whenever someone reports a playlist - the title and cover art are removed immediately. This is often abused to hurt record labels and playlist curators. After contacting support - the account of someone who abused this system gets taken down. This person then creates another email and free Spotify account and repeats the process. 

There is a simple solution to the problem - enable reporting feature only after 10 hours of music/podcasts were streamed using the account. It won't change the experience for a normal user but makes copyright abuse impractical. It's cheap and easy to implement and would stop 95% of false claims.

Thank you for your consideration. 

Updated on 2021-06-14

Hey everyone,

Thanks for bringing us your feedback in the Spotify Idea Exchange.

Your suggestion has gathered the votes necessary and your feedback is now reaching the internal teams at Spotify. They're aware of the vote count and popularity of this idea. We'll continue to monitor and check out the comments here, too.

As soon as we have any updates on its status, we'll let you know.

More info on how your feedback reaches Spotify via the Idea Exchange can be found here.

Comments
malezander

Still being harrassed by the false reports. Starting to think I should just mark the emails as spam and dump my subscription. I appeal to each report but Spotify support never responds.

If you believe you received this notice in error, please respond back to this email with an appeal within five (5) business days and we will look into the case.

TheLedge1

Spotify doesn't ever respond. I've sent reply's daily for months without any reply back.  I finally gave up.  Don't hold your breath or give any hope that they will reply.

autumntillman

@dieguillo000 you got it! either message me on here or email the address at the bottom

of the github read me file (:

finnbolt

Today one of my playlists (with almost 1100 followers) lost its title, description and image. The playlist was absolutely harmless and was reported on a baseless claim.

I'm close to shocked to read this thread and see that Spotify do not respond to the e-mail where playlist curators can complain on the «take downs». I sincerely thought they were better than this. I have been a paying loyal customer for almost 12 years, and still anyone with a Spotify account can sabotage all my playlists? Is that a good business idea, Spotify? Is that fair? Is that respecting your customers who make public playlists?

You really have to fix this mess, Spotify. Not next month. Not next week. Not tomorrow. Today!

mcallarse

The worst part about this ongoing issue is that there is no visibility or justification provided for the complaint and no recourse. This is clearly significantly broken and needs to be fixed if Spotify wants to keep offering public playlists on its platform.

autumntillman

hey all! i’ve helped a few folks now get a script going to fix this, it’s in my previous comments. 

i get how frustrating it is and am happy to help anyone that would like assistance getting it setup. if you get the script downloaded and configured but run into issues, or is isn’t working, please feel free to message me here or on my GitHub. 

Spotify, please fix this when you can! it’s not fair that we have to set up scripting solutions to resolve this. Please stop bots from abusing your report system. 

andypolack

It's a shame that Spotify have stopped commenting (if they ever did) about this issue. I have joined this illustrious club from yesterday and am getting constantly reported, even when only  the playlist title is changed and there is no image. I think maybe this thread is also being shadow banned as you can't search for it through the community search bar, I only got here through Google. 

VanHetTap

I've just joined the club as well. Even though I'm travelling, I've got 30 (!!!) consecutive "notice of removal" messages in the last 12 hours for a small playlist with 72 (!) followers.

At first, I was shocked that such a thing is at all possible.

But then I googled this thread.

WOW.

Spotify team, you are allowing HACKERS on your platform.

This CAN NOT continue! This is a 37 pages long thread and it's been going on for years. 

No other big tech company has such a derogatory view at the USER GENERATED CONTENT on their platform. 

Do we all mean so little to you?

Develop the process of PLAYLIST IMAGE/DESCRIPTION VALIDATION and STOP THIS HACKERS' PARADE!

peterpeterpete

@autumntillman
"1: it can check for a report via your email." An update only when necessary would be a great feature! However, it would certainly be easier (and honestly better for me) if the script would check whether the playlist title is empty and then update. Then the script can save itself the time for an unnecessary email login.

You've already done so much for the community with this script that I hardly dare ask: I think many people have several playlists in one account. Wouldn't it be great if the script could update several playlists in one account one after the other?

autumntillman

@peterpeterpete hello! i do plan on adding code for the script to do multiple playlists, sometime today or tomorrow. I’ve been a bit behind on replies due to some personal stuff but am working on the Spotify Playlist Updater script this afternoon (:

the only nuances at this point are:

1- i can try to have it “check” for a blank playlist before updating, but either way the script would need to actively be running in order to detect that.

2- i am going to try and find a way to address having to constantly run the script. currently folks need to have the script run constantly in order to always have their playlists covered. i’m going to test a few things to see if i can find a workflow to fix that. this part might take me a few days, so please bear with me! (:

i’m so happy that the Spotify Playlist Updater script is helping people. as i mentioned earlier sorry to anyone who i haven’t replied to via message or email yet- i’ll be catching up today!