Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

[Your Library] Order/sort albums by release date/year

Now that the original release year should be available please add an option to the new album view to use it for sorting.

there could be options for at least:

"SORTED BY ARTIST / YEAR"

"SORTED BY ARTIST / TITLE"

"SORTED BY YEAR"

There could be some kind of subtle separator where the artist changes when listing the album covers. Also the release year should be shown in the album images.

Updated on 2018-10-05

Hey folks,

Thanks for coming to the Community, and adding your vote to this idea!

We're setting this Idea to 'Not Right Now', as this isn't something we have any immediate plans to implement. We appreciate you sharing your thoughts, and we'll continue passing along your feedback to the right teams.

If we have any new info to share, rest assured we'll check back in with a new status.

Thanks.

Comments
JohnGielgud

Seriously? Six years after someone has suggested it and you still haven't bothered to allow us to view the artist's albums from their earliest efforts first?

You said "Not right now" *6*. YEARS.AGO.

This is ridiculous. Should have been the first thing on your list when you were building the platform.

Someone suggested it approximately half the life of the platform and it *still* isn't done?

If not after half of your life has passed, then when might this happen?

brietman

Spotify is just still focused on tracks and playlists. You still don't own a album with them. That's painfully visible when you see artists removing their albums from Spotify.

Us "old guys" where proud of our music collection with have 1000's of MP3's nicely sorted in folders and in winamp/windows mediaplayer/musicbee nicely sorted. This is a total new way of listening. You don't suppose to listen to whole albums, but listen to playlists other people make for you, add only your favourite tracks to a playlist and you release radar/discover weekly. Let the algorithm do the work.

Only real musiclovers, like an artist and want to hear the complete story of an album and/or discover more tracks from albums. Just like Adéle said a while ago.

I like the algorithm stuff from Spotify, but I also like the musiclover stuff from Tidal and other concurrents.

Nikminnit1

Please add this feature Spotify!!!!

tpoon4

The only options are recently added, alphabetical and creator order. Release order would be useful as I save albums as a way of adding them to a sort of 'listen later' list.

Spotify, the amount of basic features that you refuse to implement constantly boggles me. As someone who has thousands and thousands of albums saved, this would be such an amazing and helpful feature. I'm sure with all the money that isn't going to the artists, you could spare the minimal resources it would take to do this.

theteacat

Hey all,

My app https://albumsbyyear.joshuarainbow.co.uk/ will organise your library by release date.

Hope this helps B)

NL-T
Yes, it does, but can't we agree that:

A. such functionality should be offered by Spotify itself; and

B. it would be helpful to see albums sorted by artists and then by year?

You could see the importance of, e.g., David Bowie's Berlin albums
inside his entire discography.

How were/are records sorted in US record stores anyway? Would that be
Bruce Springsteen, Johnny Cash, Leonard Cohen or rather Johnny Cash,
Leonard Cohen, Bruce Springsteen? I assume the latter, but I haven't
seen a media player or streaming service yet being that smart.

rikverstraete

"I'm sure with all the money that isn't going to the artists, you could spare the minimal resources it would take to do this." totally agree ! genre, year released is part of the basics of a music library. need filters for both albums and tracks ! Keep this post alive, perhaps after 10 tears they will add it 😞 😉

henrivdm

Just quite pathetic that Spotify cannot implement something as simple as this for Audiophiles.  Tidal is starting to look more and more attractive....

brietman

I just find out that the KODI plugin based on librespot. Can sort by YEAR. That's make think: why can't spotify do the same?? Please Spotify DEV's why isn't this implemented yet? I am really eager to know. It seems it couldn't be that hard!

There are also client's based on LibreSpot, but not for Windows or Android. I will look into that. Maybe a fork to windows is possible? Or just a client based on LibreSpot. I even want to learn program for this, I just want sort by year (did some little programming and using API's in the past).