Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

[iOS] Implement Native HomePod Support

Details

Just this week at WWDC (June 22, 2020), Apple announced support for third party music services on the HomePod.  I'm requesting that Spotify implement native support for the HomePod such that one or even multiple HomePods will appear in the "Connect to a device" menu on any Apple device WITHOUT having to connect through Airplay.  This will also allow users to ask Siri to play songs from Spotify on their HomePod(s). 

Apple is opening up the HomePod, and I know there are many other HomePod users that would love to have native Spotify support on their speaker. 

Resources

Please upvote this idea to garner attention for it.  Thank you Spotify and the Spotify community.  Let's get this implemented so it's ready for general iOS 14 release this September!

Updated on 2021-06-14

Hey everyone,

Thanks for bringing us your feedback in the Spotify Idea Exchange.

Your suggestion has gathered the votes necessary and your feedback is now reaching the internal teams at Spotify. They're aware of the vote count and popularity of this idea. We'll continue to monitor and check out the comments here, too.

As soon as we have any updates on its status, we'll let you know.

More info on how your feedback reaches Spotify via the Idea Exchange can be found here.

Comments
Bigrobbrown

Please tell me I’m not caught in the middle of a pissing contest between these two companies. I love you both. Spotify Connect on my stereo HomePods. Make it happen, please!!

przyb

They said, and I quote "and in the comming month you'll be able to use services from providers like Pandora AND Amazon". If they had used OR instead of AND I would be willing to think that Spotify is somehow still in the game, but in this case... I do not have my hopes up...

imJeans

Don't be fooled fellas... we saw the upcoming Pandora and Amazon music integration because THEY updated their apps to support the Homepod, not the other way around. As requested by Spotify, apple has allowed 3rd party music service integration into their system. Now its up to Spotify to update their app and implement these features. And now we need upvotes for such an important feature? Give me a break..

Honestly all I need is Spotify to implement at least AirPlay 2 (which they should and they had plenty of time to do so) and all my issues will be solved. I did not use Apple Music straight on HomePod, I always did AirPlay from my iPhone instead, but AirPlay1 has cuts every some minutes (even with a super strong and stable connection), drains my iPhone Battery and warms it up a lot. C’mon Spotify, there are so many posts requesting AirPlay 2 support, ALL subscription-based media apps (video & music) support AirPlay 2 since almost the beginning. Stop marking it as new idea, it should be compulsory. You tweaked the UI as some iOS 13 elements, so clearly you are updating the App and implementing new things, but it is a SHAME that AirPlay 2 hasn’t been implemented yet. I have multiple AirPlay 2 speakers throughout the house. If I select some of them from iOS, they do not play in sync cause the app does not stream with the improved buffer and no delay that AirPlay 2 brings.

SuperAce99

Strongly agree that I want to see strong Spotify support on HomePod. Airplay 2 would be nice, but isn't sufficient. HomePod support should be at least as good as Echo support. Apple Music sucks, I want to keep using Spotify.

I stayed away from the original HomePod because of the lack of Spotfiy Support, but the HomePod Mini is too good to ignore. I really appreciate the improved privacy and sound relative to the Echo series. I also hope to get more reliable wireless performance than I was able to get out of HEOS speakers, which really didn't work very well.

renopeno

I agree we should get Homepod support now that they also introduced Homepod Mini. And also, I couldn't agree more that it's pathetic that we have to collect votes for such important feature 🤷‍♂️

ryankester

I'm a long time Spotify customer and really like the service, I'm a fan, but I'm getting a bit tired of Spotify bad-mouthing Apple publicly. Does Apple need to do some adjusting to its app store policies? Yes, maybe, but Spotify ripping Apple in a none professional manner is frustrating and in my opinion gives Spotify a bad image. To add to the frustration, Spotify is dragging their feet on full HomePod integration. Come on Spotify, time to be an adult, time to be professional and put your customers first, not your squabbles with Apple. What I'm saying is Spotify, IMHO, is far better than Apple Music, but as more time goes on, I'm thinking I'll be moving to Apple Music. I'm disappointed seeing Spotify's childish behavior. Just my 2¢.

przyb

I never even considered moving to Apple Music, but with the rollout of Homepod Mini and constant lack of Spotify Connect feature in HomePod devices I actually had a tiny little moment where I actually considered moving... The feeling will only grow with time as long as we don't get Spotify on Apple HomePod... This should have been a no-brainer from the start... WHAT IS TAKING SO LONG!?

And for me it's not about AirPlay 2 or whatever. I want Spotify Connect, I want the HomePod to take the load off my phone when listening to the music. 

GameOverRob

Getting pretty annoyed with Spotify of late tbh, they aren't very customer focused with their closed off environment.

Spotify threatening to revoke API access if used to transfer songs to Apple Music/competing services (via SongShift)

Spotify and their lazy implementation of CarPlay, missing so many features and problematic searching, no up next song visibility.

Lazy and slow updates to apple watch app, no offline music on the watch, even though the OS has had it enabled for over 2 years. They even purchased a developer who used the API and made it work with an app called Snowy and shut his app down back in April 2017 and still haven't bothered to update their official app to use offline music.

No proper integration with Siri or certain other third party services too...

Not to mention the lack of security and the outright refusal to secure people's accounts by enabling two factor authentication.

Spotify really doesn't care much about the consumers at all.

bentheone

I want to put some more oil in the flames. We need Spotify connect for HomePod now. The HomePod Mini will sell like warm bread so go get your stuff together and develop that feature with priority #1 right now. I will for sure get a other medic subscription is this feature isn’t available when these homepod minis arrive at my home. So get going now!