Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

[iOS] Implement Native HomePod Support

Details

Just this week at WWDC (June 22, 2020), Apple announced support for third party music services on the HomePod.  I'm requesting that Spotify implement native support for the HomePod such that one or even multiple HomePods will appear in the "Connect to a device" menu on any Apple device WITHOUT having to connect through Airplay.  This will also allow users to ask Siri to play songs from Spotify on their HomePod(s). 

Apple is opening up the HomePod, and I know there are many other HomePod users that would love to have native Spotify support on their speaker. 

Resources

Please upvote this idea to garner attention for it.  Thank you Spotify and the Spotify community.  Let's get this implemented so it's ready for general iOS 14 release this September!

Updated on 2021-06-14

Hey everyone,

Thanks for bringing us your feedback in the Spotify Idea Exchange.

Your suggestion has gathered the votes necessary and your feedback is now reaching the internal teams at Spotify. They're aware of the vote count and popularity of this idea. We'll continue to monitor and check out the comments here, too.

As soon as we have any updates on its status, we'll let you know.

More info on how your feedback reaches Spotify via the Idea Exchange can be found here.

Comments
njerome

"Spotify also still does not natively support the Homepod and Siri despite filing a complaint against Apple with the European Commission in March 2019 that accused the iPhone maker of locking Spotify out of platforms like the HomePod and Siri."

All you need to know about this.

First, they sue Apple for not letting them in, then Apple lets them in, and then Spotify doesn't implement anything for years. This was just a political play from the start, Spotify never cared about giving their users an actual better listening experience.

Started an Apple Music subscription some days ago and loving it so far 🥰 The listening experience on any Airplay device (not just HomePods) is 10x better and smoother than with Spotify. No cracks, no pauses, no jumps.

tryingtothink
Well said. I give money to Apple now.
wali0

This idea hasn’t been updated by spotify for more than a year. Can you give Us an update on its progress?

NickB-99

ADD SUPPORT ALREADY**bleep**

m_x_m

This is incredibly disappointing and has almost pushed me to move my family plan to Apple Music.

Gratchat

There are so many good things about Spotify. Complaining about Apple not letting them in to support HomePod and then not taking advantage of being able to do so is not one of those good things. 

Honestly, even just adding airplay 2 support at this stage would be a win. It’s ridiculous Spotify aren’t supporting even that when it’s a tech that’s been around for years and the company even said support is coming more than a year ago now.

When is that happening, Spotify? When? 

tryingtothink
Interestingly it seems Spotify is still pursuing it's case.
A quote from Mr Ek to demonstrate his mindset-- “I was asking [Vestager]
what I can do to make sure this case moves faster. As an entrepreneur you
always want anything to happen yesterday.

A pity he doesn't apply this thinking to this topic.

I'll post a link seperately as I don't know if it would prevent this
uploading.
nathan_baker14

I am absolutely sick of waiting for this feature to be implemented. It’s unfortunate Spotify is willing to continuously screw over its customers in favor of their petty drama with Apple. You would think being able to stream my playlists to my smart speaker wouldn’t be too much to ask… what’s the point in paying for a streaming service that doesn’t work with your listening device. Enough with the brand politics, we’re all sick

Fan77Fan

Upvoted!!!

taemkv

WHERE IS SUPPORT SPOTIFY??? I NEED HOMEPOD SUPPORT