Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

[iOS] Implement Native HomePod Support

Details

Just this week at WWDC (June 22, 2020), Apple announced support for third party music services on the HomePod.  I'm requesting that Spotify implement native support for the HomePod such that one or even multiple HomePods will appear in the "Connect to a device" menu on any Apple device WITHOUT having to connect through Airplay.  This will also allow users to ask Siri to play songs from Spotify on their HomePod(s). 

Apple is opening up the HomePod, and I know there are many other HomePod users that would love to have native Spotify support on their speaker. 

Resources

Please upvote this idea to garner attention for it.  Thank you Spotify and the Spotify community.  Let's get this implemented so it's ready for general iOS 14 release this September!

Updated on 2021-06-14

Hey everyone,

Thanks for bringing us your feedback in the Spotify Idea Exchange.

Your suggestion has gathered the votes necessary and your feedback is now reaching the internal teams at Spotify. They're aware of the vote count and popularity of this idea. We'll continue to monitor and check out the comments here, too.

As soon as we have any updates on its status, we'll let you know.

More info on how your feedback reaches Spotify via the Idea Exchange can be found here.

Comments
DesignByAdrian

Last status, summer two year ago. Great work, Spotify!

What if instead of whining about Apple having competitive deals, you yourself compete with features?

Raymondmp

HomePod second generation is launched also. If you want to stay relevant as a company for music across various devices, now is your time to jump in, Spotify.

WhyDontYouDoIt

It has been 3 years and these i***ts still haven't implemented it.

GMoon777

I’ve had spotify premium for 10 years and didn’t plan on changing anything. If support isn’t added for HomePods soon I’m gone! So frustrating when you’re trying to smarten up your home and you find out it’s not even apple preventing it from working. I want the same functionality I had before I switched from Amazon Alexa to HomePods. Just to simply say “Siri play etc….” What the heck is going on guys?! 

camsta_

In the time since this thread's creation, Apple has discontinued the HomePod, revived it again with a second generation, and made a mini version too, all the while Spotify has refused to support all three. Spotify once again proving themselves to be completely tone deaf to their customers and this 147-page multi-year long thread they still maintain to this day.

Dreifuss100
I also have Homepod mini.
to be honest Apple advised when I bought it that Spotify is supported. this
was false.
nowdays I mostly use the Homepod Mini as an alarm clock....as I do not want
to give up my Spotify account.
But one idea I have - rather than pressing Spotify to implement native
support I think the pressure should be towards Apple who will be concerned
about us buying Google or other good speakers.
they will be able to press Spotify more effectively than this (respected)
but totally useless thread.

zoolevation

Unbelievable, after two years, no Airplay 2 / Siri / HomePod support. Not to begin about HiFi (this maybe a license issue) but still, get your s*** together. Bury your axes with Apple, in the end its better for both parties. Even more important, it's better for the end user!

drabop

Spotify, you start here: https://developer.apple.com/siri/  Your problem might be that you need to talk to Apple, as they state on the above link, pasting in some tekst from that link below:

Integrate your music streaming service

With SiriKit Media Intents on HomePod, streaming music services can integrate directly with HomePod to deliver a seamless playback experience. People can simply ask Siri to access music and playlists from your service and play them on one or multiple HomePod speakers throughout the home.

If you’d like to integrate your service with HomePod, let us know.

Swallow your pride and just give us Siri support on the Homepod, and also just support Airplay 2 in your app, making playing music so much more convenient.

Bakermo

So where is the status 2 years later?…

juancarlosiv85

Haha, saw some notifications on this after a while.

Don't hold your breath they'll never implement this. Too concerned with their absurd legal battle with Apple to do right by paying customers.

I left 2 years ago after it was clear they wouldn't do this, haven't looked back.

Just drop Spotify!