Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

[iOS] Implement Native HomePod Support

Details

Just this week at WWDC (June 22, 2020), Apple announced support for third party music services on the HomePod.  I'm requesting that Spotify implement native support for the HomePod such that one or even multiple HomePods will appear in the "Connect to a device" menu on any Apple device WITHOUT having to connect through Airplay.  This will also allow users to ask Siri to play songs from Spotify on their HomePod(s). 

Apple is opening up the HomePod, and I know there are many other HomePod users that would love to have native Spotify support on their speaker. 

Resources

Please upvote this idea to garner attention for it.  Thank you Spotify and the Spotify community.  Let's get this implemented so it's ready for general iOS 14 release this September!

Updated on 2021-06-14

Hey everyone,

Thanks for bringing us your feedback in the Spotify Idea Exchange.

Your suggestion has gathered the votes necessary and your feedback is now reaching the internal teams at Spotify. They're aware of the vote count and popularity of this idea. We'll continue to monitor and check out the comments here, too.

As soon as we have any updates on its status, we'll let you know.

More info on how your feedback reaches Spotify via the Idea Exchange can be found here.

Comments
tryingtothink
Absolutely. I am hoping their search improves. They are new to this. But
the videos absolutely seal it.
I stand to be corrected but I seem to recall the problem is that Spotify
want to make more profit so this is an interesting and not so far off topic
read including information on the profits made by artists c/o Spotify and
staff lay off. And profits on shares in an accompanying article. I did not
find it comfortable reading in the context of artists and staff. More
profit for Mr Ek and co but they won't do what this forum is about.
https://www.theguardian.com/music/2023/dec/12/david-bowie-would-have-failed-in-todays-cut-throat-mus...
Slim08
What makes you think Spotify has any intention of changing?
fruitytenbrv

It's always great when you search for something online and find 100s of other people with the same problem at yourself. I simply wanted to change the default Music provider for my HomePod.

Ah well, just accepted a 6 month trial of Apple Music. Spotifys contempt towards its customer base is frankly astounding!

Kevinmtmt

A week ahead from 2024 and still not at least AirPlay 2 support is a freaking SHAME, are we using an illegal chinese music app or the #1 streaming service in the world? This is awful

mirkot

Can‘t belive I can‘t start a playlist in spotify via a szene or an auto ation like coming home.. Seems like Spotify wants to lose me to the Full Apple Eco-System 

Rekothepuppy

It's been 4 years since apple allowed 3rd party music services. And on timetoplayfair.com it says spotify wanted to do that. Why did you even sue them in the first place if you werent going to add support if you won? Like spotify, be nice to your community and implement an idea that wouldn't even be that hard... or did you just sue just to publicly shame apple, and if so, the shame should be on you.

Rekothepuppy

Like the option to clear the queue was added after just 1,000 votes along with many others under 6,000 votes but not this?????? Like at least give an explanation instead of leaving us on the corporate version of read

tryingtothink
I bought HomePods on the back of Spotify's 'aspiration' to access the Apple
world. Then when they could, they didn't. It felt like a broken promise.
Happily Apple Music is excellent, and YouTube music has the enormous bonus
of advert free videos. YouTube Music search is not too good in my
experience. If struggling then one can do it on a phone and transfer but
hardly ideal. What is odd is that one sets YouTube Music as default and
repeatedly it gets kicked off often by the next evening in favour of Apple
Music. Problem is I no longer subscribe to Apple Music. So this is
irritating and puzzling. But one can reset it it very quickly. I mention
all this for completeness for anyone considering swapping.
KazutoKun

The thing is. I would love to go to Apple Music. But I stream, and I stream with Spotify and I have Stream-Command with Spotify. So I can’t.

I literally don’t know, what’s the problem for Spotify. So many people use Apple. I mean…wth. 

platypusMaximus

We're canceling our Spotify subscription because of this