Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Connection issues with car stereo receivers

Hi everyone,

We've received reports about car receivers (mainly Pioneer) having connectivity issues. Bluetooth connection usually works fine, but when trying to use Connect it fails. 

The team in charge is already looking into this, so we've merged a few threads here to keep you all in the loop.

Hello everyone,

Thank you for your reports so far.

We can confirm that support for Pioneer and JVC-Kenwood car audio head units has been deprecated. This means it will no longer be possible to launch the built-in Spotify app from the interface, but you should still be able to play audio from your mobile devices via Bluetooth or through a USB cable.

Thanks for understanding.

Comments
Matt1710

Dear spotify. After 5 years of silently accepting some "weird" decisions, I thank you for "deprecating" Spotify Connect. This was probably the most "used" feature - get into the car, start listening. Without opening spotify I could listening to my music I just listened to in my living room. Now I have to take out my phone, unlock, opening spotify, choose any music and start playing and put my phone back.

So yes, I say thank you - finally I save $120 per year. Spotify was great, but what should I do now? Import a Car Thing from the US and paying you more money? You're kidding.

aeroncadin

@ClothednblackNice....I did the build from December and was able to restore the functionality I paid for.

(On a Kenwood DMX706s)

At least this buys me some time, though its absolutely embarrassing that we even have to do this. Shame on Spotify.

EDIT: Make sure you go into the Play Store after installing, go to Spotify, click the 3 dots in the Top Right and Disable Updates !!

@MafeG

aeroncadin

@Eni Would you like to chime in now that we've figured out the issue ?

Would you like to tell us that Spotify secretly cut support for one of the most important features it offers, likely  in favor of trying to sell your own hardware ?

Thatguy801

My entire family who uses the spotify app just went and rated spotify as 1* on the playstore for removal of this feature. 
BBB report submitted as well for false advertising and misleading products. 

Elena
Status changed to: Case Closed

Hello everyone,

Thank you for your reports so far.

We can confirm that support for Pioneer and JVC-Kenwood car audio head units has been deprecated. This means it will no longer be possible to launch the built-in Spotify app from the interface, but you should still be able to play audio from your mobile devices via Bluetooth or through a USB cable.

Thanks for understanding.

Elena

Hello,

The Closed Issues aren't checked and the threads themselves are usually also closed for further replies, specifically because we don't want to miss new posts.

Apologies for not noticing sooner that this thread is still active.

As per the last status update, support for Pioneer and JVC-Kenwood head units has been confirmed as deprecated. We're not able to support all integrations out there and sometimes we need to give up on some devices, but Spotify still supports CarPlay and Android Auto for a safe way to control Spotify while on the road. We understand that for those without a CarPlay or Android Auto unit in their vehicle, this is disappointing, but this isn't to say that we'll not be exploring new ways to enhance the driving experience as the app evolves in the future. 

As there're no plans to bring back support for the time being, the votes are now closed and we're blocking new comments in this thread, so that this message doesn't get lost. However, our boards remain open to everyone and we recommend continuing the discussion by opening a new thread in our Other board, which is the place for discussions on third-party devices.

Thanks for your understanding!