Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Sonos speakers not showing up on desktop app

Hey everyone,

We've received reports about Sonos speakers not showing up on the desktop app. They only appear in the Connect picker on desktop after selecting the device in the mobile app.

We'd like to take a closer look into this, so we've merged a few threads here to keep you all in the loop.

Hi everyone,

Thank you for your inputs and patience so far.

We're setting this issue to Not Right Now as we're unable to provide an exact timeline for a fix at this moment. However, rest assured this will remain on our internal teams' radar and we'll check back in here with a new status if we have any new information to share.

In the meantime, make sure to always keep the app up to date.

Take care.

Comments
js345

About 1 out of 10 times my Sonos spear shoes up on my desktop client. I power cycle the sonos, apply updates, power cycle my wifi, and reinstall spotify on my computer. Sometimes it works, 90% of the time it doesn't. Maybe you could make this feature work as advertised?

OutsidaII

I'm running Windows 10 with Spotify for Windows 1.1.76.447.g11f432d8

My problem is ever since the autoplay to stream devices fixed was rolled out I can no longer consistently see my Sonos speakers in the desktop app. 100% of the time I have find the speakers using the mobile app on my phone while the desktop app is open and then once it's playing I can control it on the desktop.

If I use any other streaming service or even just use my TV the speaker will disappear from the desktop app.

I have done a full clean install two times and nothing has changed. I also have verified it's not my wireless as my phone can see all the speakers with no issue all the time, and the Sonos app detects everything consistently as well.

Is there something else to try?

MafeG

Hi @js345.

Thank you for posting on the Community.

We've moved your post to this help board because what you describe isn't normal behavior for the app. 

We understand you've already reinstalled the app, could you do it one more time following these specific steps? They are more thorough and will ensure you remove any damaged cache. 

If the issue persists after that, please follow these steps to clear the Hosts file on your PC. Even if the article is for something else, the steps are the same. 

Let us know how this goes.

Julian

Hi @OutsidaII,

Thank you for reaching the Community!

As you already tried a clean reinstall on your devices twice, you can try to link another Spotify account to your Sonos device to check whether the speakers appear in the available devices section of the Connect menu on the desktop app. For this, you can ask a friend or family member with a Premium account to log in with their credentials. Also, as it could be a connection error, it's better to reset the router to refresh the WiFi connection.

Make sure that there are no firmware updates available for the speaker too.

Let us know how it goes. 

legmeervogel

I’m having the exact same problem. Desktop Does not find my Play 5 anymore after the latest Spotify update.

mobile works perfectly. Play 5 works properly.

please resolve this. 

cheers

Jeremy

Hi there @legmeervogel,

Thank you for your reply in this thread.

Can you confirm that you followed the steps that's provided in this article? There's some more steps to help thoroughly uninstall the app from your device, so if you haven't, we'd highly suggest it since the steps will make sure there's no old cache files causing this.

We also suggest that you to the troubleshooting that's been provided in the reply above if you haven't.

We'll keep an eye out for your reply 🙂

Take care!

matteustace

I have the same issue - works fine from my phone but won't appear on the laptop - every other Spotify Connect device in the house appears but not the Sonos One. Reinstalling etc as in your guide makes no difference.

I bought the device because it was advertised as compatible - was I missold it?

Julian

Hey folks,

Thank you for keeping us in the loop.

@matteustace, let us know if that issue started after an update of the Spotify app, the sonos app or OS as well. For both of you, check in your Sonos app if you have the option Control Sonos from Spotify activated and make sure your devices are on the same WiFi network.

@legmeervogel, please double check if you have your Spotify account linked to your PS5. If so, log out and back in again to refresh the sync between devices.

Let us know how it goes. 

matteustace

In my case this is a brand new Sonos device (on the latest update) and a brand new installation of Spotify on my laptop.

It appears just fine in the mobile app on my phone, and all the other smarthome devices appear on the laptop, but the Sonos does not unless I play to it from the phone first.

I've tried the Sonos on the wifi network (same network) and hardwired.

There is no "Control Sonos from Spotify" option that I can see, but given it works from the Android app I assume that is already set.

OutsidaII

@Julian

I actually tried it from a different laptop with my account and it always shows up the first time I boot up the machine but after that it's usually not there. It's running the same version as my main computer. As other have stated, I'm always able to see my speakers in the Android app and after I pick one in the app it will show up in the desktop version. 

I'm able to see all my devices in the Sonos app consistently even after using them with my TV and I'm able to play my Spotify music through the app with no issue even if the experience is definitely more clunky. 

All this leads me to believe that the issue is definitely related to the desktop app.