Premium

Country

US 

Device

Moto X4

Operating System

Android Pie

My Question or Issue

This happened with my last phone, Samsung S7 running Oreo (or whatever the most recent OS is) but it was fixed when I got the Moto X4. I like to keep a lot of songs downloaded offline because my service is terrible and I also spend a lot of time in the mountains. Before I I update my phone to the new Android Pie OS there was no problems. Now everytime I reset my phone I think spotify cannot see my SD card at first and tries to download all the music to its internal storage and I have to go back in and tell it to store it in the SD card. That is extremely annyoing but not the end of the world. What is really frustrating is that I think all of the downloaded songs are still on the SD card and just keep redownloading and taking up space. Eventually this will cause me to reformat the card which will be a major pain for me since I store a large amount of photos on there also. Is anyone else have this problem? I have already uninstalled and reinstalled the application so any other suggestions or help?

Hey there.

We just wanted to let you know that we've looked into this with the right folks now.

We are currently trying to resolve the issue. We don't have a timeframe for a fix, but we're really glad you let us know about this. If you have any other questions, just let us know!

Keep your app up-to-date and have a nice day 🙂

Comments
franckgaga-ca

I am so annoyed by this bug and angry that spotify choose to ignore it that i'm leaving them (I sound like a Karen lol) The Youtube Music and Deezer Android app doesn't have this bug. I'm testing both and see which one i prefer.

MythicSuns

@franckgaga-ca No you don't; you haven't demanded to see the manager of Spotify yet.

Corvax

So in the end of 2021 your team is still looking at this? It's really ridiculous. 

bxrobinson

I too have exactly the same issue. My phone memory is absolutely eaten up, and my Sandisk 64Gb SD card is almost empty!

My phone is a Motorola Moto G8 Power on Android 11.

My Spotify version is 8.6.82.113

I have taken the "standard" advice from Spotify to clean reinstall the app after clearing the cache etc. etc but it has not worked.

Does anyone know if there is going to be a fix for this? Like other people on this chat, I am also now considering going down the Tidal route as I've tried that app/service on a trial and it works fine.

UPDATE: I emailed my formal complaint to Developer Support on 2021/11/28, and I'll post up the response I receive.

Corvax

Hey @bxrobinson 

did they responded?

This bug is terribly frustrating. 

bxrobinson

Hello @Corvax . Yes, they did reply via many messages, none of which admit to a fault with the app. I'll consolidates all the email responses into one document and post I up for you and all to see.

capang9555

It's almost 2022 and I am still having this issue. I just got a Galaxy S10 (went from a S8) the S8 has issues way back in 2017 but I fixed it by upgrading to a SD card with higher transfer speed... Well I noticed recently both phones are having the issue. Both phones have high spec SD cards so that rules it out. Very very frustrating. S8 runs Android 9 and the S10 runs Android 11... This is unacceptable, as it transcends different Android versions. Spotify I've been a user for almost 10 years now. Please get on this. It's very frustrating when I'm in a place with spotty coverage and I have offline music on my computer that I need to transfer over each time too... 

michele86

Plan

Premium

Country

Germany

Device

Samsung Galaxy S20 FE

Operating System

Android 11

My Question or Issue

I'm going through the same issue as everyone else here, I change the settings to save my songs on Micro SD card, but after a restart my songs are being downloaded again on my phone's internal storage.

BTW clearing cache and data, logging out of all my devices (through the web option), and reinstalling the app doesn't work at all.

So @Spotify please finally fix this issue! After all I pay for this service!

swiftymusic

Same problem here on a Samsung Galaxy S20. This phone has no option to require a PIN at boot which was one suggestion to fix the issues. I'm amazed Spotify has allowed the problem to fester for years now.

swiftymusic

Shameful that this has been marked as solved when the issue has never been solved and is negatively impacting millions of customers.