Premium

Country

US 

Device

Moto X4

Operating System

Android Pie

My Question or Issue

This happened with my last phone, Samsung S7 running Oreo (or whatever the most recent OS is) but it was fixed when I got the Moto X4. I like to keep a lot of songs downloaded offline because my service is terrible and I also spend a lot of time in the mountains. Before I I update my phone to the new Android Pie OS there was no problems. Now everytime I reset my phone I think spotify cannot see my SD card at first and tries to download all the music to its internal storage and I have to go back in and tell it to store it in the SD card. That is extremely annyoing but not the end of the world. What is really frustrating is that I think all of the downloaded songs are still on the SD card and just keep redownloading and taking up space. Eventually this will cause me to reformat the card which will be a major pain for me since I store a large amount of photos on there also. Is anyone else have this problem? I have already uninstalled and reinstalled the application so any other suggestions or help?

Hey there.

We just wanted to let you know that we've looked into this with the right folks now.

We are currently trying to resolve the issue. We don't have a timeframe for a fix, but we're really glad you let us know about this. If you have any other questions, just let us know!

Keep your app up-to-date and have a nice day 🙂

Comments
B_Kind

Force moving Spotify app to SD card was the only thing that worked for me. Sadly, it's only a temporary solution as mentioned above since it's impossible to update the app without Android moving it back to internal storage, which will lead to all downloads being wiped from SD card upon phone reboot. It's infuriating how this is an issue for what seems like 6-8 year and yet there is no normal solution in sight from Spotify.

dgs2-q_s9hk3h
Highlight the app go to app info then app battery usage set it to
restricted before restarting. In older android versions put the app into
deep sleep mode. Then don't change it back or open the app until you have
confirmed that the SD card is loaded...

##- Please type your reply above-mentioned this line -##
coolmandan03

This issue is still happening.  Please fix!!!!

IlIIlIIlllIlIIllI

This is still happening YEARS after it has been first reported ! What the actual fxck are you doing??? You're not even fixing old issues STILL PRESENT, and here I was wishing lossless would release

nadeznuts

Almost 2024 and still no solution. I'm redownloading my 2.7k songs right now as I'm typing this. Marked as solved but there's no solution, wow. You increase the monthly payment but you haven't even fixed the problem.

C_Notch

Hey spotify, the whole point of downloading songs is so we can have something to listen to when we don't have a data connection, or we have a sh!t data connection, right?

Imagine I'm going on a vacation to a place with very limited data connectivity. Rest assured I will turn my phone off. It's vacation. However, I will want some music to listen to sometimes. Now imagine instead of me turning on my phone and being able to enjoy your app, I find myself very angry because my phone is now out of storage space due to this long-running, well-known issue in your app that has been all but ignored by your managers and developers that I'm pretty sure people like me are paying for - at least now that you are turning a profit. I'm imaging this and I think I'll just delete the app. Not being able to listen to my playlists is lesser evil than being irate waiting to download gigs of music over crappy wifi, if available, only for spotify to crash because storage is full, thus requiring a phone restart (read: do it again). How long should it take to transfer 5 gigs from sd to internal storage anyway? ffs

Basically, you're telling me I'm better off with a fkin 20 year-old dog sh*t zune spinning disk mp3 player than I am with a supposedly top-tier app on the most used phone OS in an age where there are more phones than people on this planet - that I need a second device to play music even though I will have one that should be perfectly capable??? 

Circling back to profits, you made nearly $70 million last quarter! I mean, congrats or whatever but, you can't fix a bug dating back to at least 2019? You could hire a team of salaried employees to look into this without breaking the bank. God knows you aren't going spend it all on giving the artists a fair cut. It is clearly a lack of will and not a lack of resources. I wonder where that $70M came from anyway. /s

btw I've been experiencing this problem for years across multiple phones/manufacturers/spotify versions/android versions. My app is updated. Android is updated. The problem is the app. You know this. No other app has this problem. If my camera roll dumped on internal storage every time my phone restarted it would brick my phone. 

Status: Not right now? Can we expect this issue be corrected in the next 10 years? jfc. 27 pages of complaints! Happy 2024.

Here's an idea: Just kill the feature. If it doesn't work, why release it at all?

dgs2-q_s9hk3h
The best way to fix this is just get a top of the line phone since none of
them come with external storage. But if that's not an option your second
best option is before you turn your phone off click on the app long hold go
to 'app info' if you have the newest android version under battery usage
set it to restricted. If you have an older Android put it to deep sleep.
Second option is to use developer options to force allow apps on external
and install it to external. If you do this you need to turn auto update off
and not update the Spotify app. If you update it will reinstall onto your
internal drive. Of course there is also the fact that you don't need to
turn your phone off basically ever since its linux based not windows. I'm
currently at 760 hours up time. If you don't want to be disturbed use the
do not disturb feature.... Of course in most cases simply not encrypting
your SD card will be enough to fix this issue. there is also the fact that
at regular quality you get 10 hours of audio per 1.5gb of space. If you
allocate 15gb of space to music files on your internal that would be around
100hours or 4200 songs.... Since Spotify doesn't have access to the source
code for android the only way they could fix this issue would be to set the
app to not open until clicked on by the user. (Which is what the first work
around i mentioned will do.)🤷‍♂️
314lnvpl6iopmqfyn4ng

Spoiler
When will this bug be fixed?

vaajy

I had Kingston micro sd, V10 for a 2 years. It worked for 2 years, even after reboots on Samsung Galaxy A04s.

128 Gb card, 5500+ tracks on list Offlined, 10 Gb Cache and 50 Gb+ list. Android 14. Spotify always updated. When the problem started, it started to "download" without using any internet. Then it started doing it severally a day. I talked to a seller and she said sd card may be faulty. I gave it to the store and she made full refund of €20 based on warranty 5 years. Got Fastest possible Samsung Evo V30 card just to notice, after spending 24 hours on my 10 Mbps free internet included to rent it disappeared after reboot. My phone inline memory is 32 Gb only and I can not download anything online. Even 10 Gb cache one can not do a thing to lower it steals almost all free space letting me live with 4 Gb only free. Week ago 10 Gb storage worked on Evo card, but now even empty Spotify on card resets to inline memory. I am tired of this issue. My phone automatically reboots once a week to keep it's performance on tuesdays. Each time music is gone!!!

I might just go to the store, return the card and get a A05s phone with 64 Gb inline memory and STOP using offline. I never travel outside Finland on airplanes and I do not have limited internet in my phone, it only has speed limit which is enough for music without interruptions. I also looked at Pixel phones mentioned, but they DO NOT HAVE HEADPHONE JACK!!!

I like JBL T110 earplugs so much, I can't switch with no connection to phone.

vaajy

Sorry to post again.

Samsung EVO Plus 128 GB card 19,99 purchased month ago. Literally because of poor app bug, at least 5-6 redownloads of 50 Gb of Offline and 10 Gb cache. 300 Gb of useless internet usage in home 10 mbps wifi or Spotify servers. How much does it cost you? Today tried once again to trasnfer inside sd card app, and it complains "There is something wrong with SD card".

In next few days I will claim yet another micro sd card as broken because of Spotify usage.

Never in my life I will buy anything micro sd anymore. My phone is so good, I literally love it, it just does not have storage. After Android only 21 GB free of 32 Gb advertised. 6 Gb apps, I use few only, and then 10 Gb cache fills of Spotify. So I only have less than 4 Gb of storage. Micro SD is no option anymore. I am tired to complain to seller each month and get new one.

Waste of money, waste of time, waste of material things. And no one to fix?

Anyone to recommend what phone should I do?

Screenshot_20240313_193324_One UI Home.jpg

This card is designed for apps and smartphone usage, yet started to do this in week or two. Literally did only few reboots without issues like Spotify going back to inline memory. Now, I think this might be related at how poor this stuff is, not only sd cards, but Spotify code perhaps as well. Will be my last cards.

Spotify is constantly updating eg. writing and reading from the sd card. It even has 10 GB cache which it need to keep up to date based on your listenings. Not a first card which breaks quick and I only use it for Spotify usage in Offline mode. Roughly 50+ GB list and 10 GB cache. So there is no other usage of any other content to blame than Spotify caching system breaking these.

I'll get full refund from cashier and never look again to store Offline content with their micro sd cards.

Actually I will never buy one.