Premium

Country

UK

Device

Echo dot / iPad 

Operating System

iOS 12.2 on iPad. 

My Question or Issue

I can’t work out how to get Alexa linked to my Spotify. Guidance says Alexa app/ settings / music/ link new service, which leads to a Spotify button that doesn’t do anything. Manage Services has Amazon Music and Tune in added ok, but not Spotify.

I’ve seen a few variations over past years on here on how to make this happen, but can’t find one that works. UK premium service, UK address. Someone suggested using Alexa app and About to deregister echo dot, but I can’t see a deregister option there.

For a widely offered service, it surely can’t be this difficult to link the two up. I know I can play via Bluetooth but I wanted the extras this link up offers, including voice control and not tying the sound output on a device other than Alexa up. 

Hey folks,

Thanks for your patience while we looked into this.

We've made some changes backstage which should now fix the original issue as reported by users!

You can now use the steps below to link your Spotify + Alexa accounts:

1. First, make sure that both Spotify and the Amazon Alexa apps are on the latest versions available
  2. It's also a good idea to perform a soft reset/reboot your devices
  3. Then, log in to your Spotify account on a browser, head here and revoke access to Alexa
  4. On the Amazon Alexa app on your mobile device:
    • Tap the three lines menu on the top left > Settings > Music & Podcasts
    • Find Spotify in the list and click Enable to Use 
    • In the authorization screen, double check that you're trying to log in with the correct Spotify account and click Agree

If you're having trouble with any of the above, make sure to create a new thread in the relevant help board here.

Thanks again!

Comments
lp_myles
I followed the advice of unlinking and relinking spotify from the alexa.amazon.co.uk site and it worked in seconds .
Robbie_w_

Exact same issue. Had to reset Spotify password last week. Alexa won’t link & the button in the app is dead. Reinstalled both apps, n avail just more frustration! Get it sorted guy!

bui1987

Hi - I had the same issue and this is the best way to fix it.

You must go to https://alexa.amazon.com/ on your laptop. Use google chrome.

Go to settings. 

Go to Music & Media.

[If you see Spotify there, click link my account.

[If you see Spotify, but not link my account. Click through the Spotify link. Click unlink my account. Click link my account. Log into Spotify]

-prtl_7cgcx7c

I registered for this message board just to thank @larius and @d8bub. These directions 100% worked for me

KeithB72

Using the work around, I am able to make it so I can play Spotify on my Alexa, but only if I open my computer, and play it from the Spotify app on my computer.  And, I can only play one device at a time, where I'd like to play on both Alexaas.  The odd thing, just like so many others, I was required to change my password a couple weeks ago, and since then I have had this problem.  Before, there was always a way to play Spotify on everything in the apartment.  Now, I'm running into the same issue as anyone else.  I suppose I can deal with just one room at a time, it's a first world problem.  But, it'd be nice to have this fixed so I could have the same functionality as before.  Now, I am not computer literate enough to figure out what versions of everything I'm running.  But, it's two echo dots, iphone7, windows 10, and spotify premium.

Paulstu

The suggested fix worked once I did it on my laptop rather than on my iPad or phone.

mrtraver

I'm also have the same issue. Spotify reset my password and required me to reset it. I had to reset the password a second time to get Spotify to work on my phone. Now the service has dropped off of Alexa and the Spotify option in "link services" for Alexa does nothing.

Spotify App version: 8.5.8.567
Alexa App version: 2.2.271281.0
Device model ZTE Axon 7
OS version: 7.1.1

I uninstalled both apps, restarted my phone and the issue persists.  The workarounds posted above have not worked. 

TessaJayne

Spotify Version: 8.5.8.567

Alexa Version: 2.2.278837.0

Device Model: Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge

Android Version/OS: 8.0.0

The button for Spotify does not respond. It disconnected after I changed my password through Spotify, and I cannot reconnect it. Tried the proposed solution and it did not work.

ccr100

@bui1987 wrote:

Hi - I had the same issue and this is the best way to fix it.

You must go to https://alexa.amazon.com/ on your laptop. Use google chrome.

Go to settings. 

Go to Music & Media.

[If you see Spotify there, click link my account.

[If you see Spotify, but not link my account. Click through the Spotify link. Click unlink my account. Click link my account. Log into Spotify]

This worked for me. Thanks. 

Gmt71

Spotify won't link to alexa. When will this be fixed